Could you feed 4 for $400 a month?

Anonymous 9

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:49 pm I've just been going over my budget and I'm so far overbudget on groceries for the past few months! After moving some things around I'm left with just about $400 for this month. I usually spend about $650 and during the pandemic I've been spending closer to $900 for 2 adults and 2 children.
I'm going to try, but I'm not sure we can make it without going overbudget again. Could you do it? What would your meals look like? None of us are attending work or school outside of the home so almost all meals will be at home. This would be for this month only.

*disclaimer: I'm not fishing for a handout or any sort of financial help, we can move money from elsewhere if need be*
No way on earth. Before the pandemic we would spend around 300-350 a week. During the pandemic it shot up to 425-475 a week, now we have averaged out at 380-425 a week.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

What kind of turtle? I love turtles!
Melly Jelly 1 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:31 pm Probably. I regularly feed 6 people, 3 dogs a cat and a turtle for $600
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Is that for 4 people also?
Anonymous 9 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:03 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:49 pm I've just been going over my budget and I'm so far overbudget on groceries for the past few months! After moving some things around I'm left with just about $400 for this month. I usually spend about $650 and during the pandemic I've been spending closer to $900 for 2 adults and 2 children.
I'm going to try, but I'm not sure we can make it without going overbudget again. Could you do it? What would your meals look like? None of us are attending work or school outside of the home so almost all meals will be at home. This would be for this month only.

*disclaimer: I'm not fishing for a handout or any sort of financial help, we can move money from elsewhere if need be*
No way on earth. Before the pandemic we would spend around 300-350 a week. During the pandemic it shot up to 425-475 a week, now we have averaged out at 380-425 a week.
Melly Jelly 1
Villein
Villein

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:30 am What kind of turtle? I love turtles!
Melly Jelly 1 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:31 pm Probably. I regularly feed 6 people, 3 dogs a cat and a turtle for $600
Red eared slider.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Yeah but there'd be a lot of eating beans, rice, canned vegetables, leg quarter meals, and biscuits.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Maybe if I told ods to contribute more than he already does. He usually buys his lunches and toiletries. I buy staples and meats. It would be hard.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Then, maybe you like this story:
When I was little, I lived on a farm with my 6 siblings. Each year, we'd go "hunting for turtles" in our woods. Once we each found a turtle, we'd hold "turtle races." At the end of the season, each of us would take nail polish and paint our initials on the turtle. The following season, it was always fun when we'd find our turtle from the previous year. LOL Life on the farm...doesn't get any better than that. :lol:
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:30 am What kind of turtle? I love turtles!
penpen
Villein
Villein

Unread post

I do something similar.

My monthly food budget is $500 per month for 5 of us- me, two teenage girls and two "tween" girls.

We live in Melbourne, Australia, cost of living is high here. We don't eat much junk food, that's stuff is so expensive. We have a greengrocer near us that is primarily "imperfect produce" and that is a good portion of my groceries. The fact that they're rejected by supermarkets in the first place just angers me, who the hell complains that tomatoes aren't perfectly round? But I do love that I can get three-four times as much for the same amount of money. $20 gets me four big bags of produce from there. I'd never pay supermarket prices for produce.

We mix it up though. We don't eat the same thing every day, and the kids are all pretty varied eaters. Last night we had couscous stuffed eggplant halves, tonight I will make a chicken and vegetable stir fry. The teens made a big pot of pumpkin and lentil soup for lunch yesterday and there's enough in the fridge for lunch today too.
Anonymous 11

Unread post

I'm lmao at all the people saying "I could never do that we spend 400 a week for 3 people." blah blah like thats something to be proud of. no wonder Americans are so fat.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 11 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:30 pm I'm lmao at all the people saying "I could never do that we spend 400 a week for 3 people." blah blah like thats something to be proud of. no wonder Americans are so fat.
😂 no one in my house is fat. Sea scallops cost about $30 per lb here, versus ramen at $0.50 a package. A quart of organic strawberries is $8, versus $5 for a family sized box of garbage cereal. A half pint of blueberries, raspberries, or Blackberries is $6 versus like $1 or $2 for a box of Mac and cheese. Eating well is very expensive.
Locked Previous topicNext topic