Man finds 7.5 million dollars in storage unit he bought for $500

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:16 pm Okay so side question: So say you found that money-would you have to report it to IRS? Or would they seize it if they thought it was drug money etc? I would be FINE paying taxes on it if I found it and all that but I would be pissed if they tried to take it and say well it was drug money so you can't have it or something like that.

So then it would end up being the same situation where I have to hide it and just use it sparingly to not get it seized or something

Which is maybe what they were doing. I could do that. Just knowing I had the money and could use it reasonably and not draw suspicion. I could never tell anyone though. I would not even tell my BFFs or my mom etc.
Seriously. I'd have tucked my butt cheeks in and fast walked that shit home under the bed!
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

JoJo728 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:36 pm First, I wonder how someone with that kind of hidden cash would fail to keep payments on the unit up to date. I mean it takes a while before it goes to the auction block.

Second, legally the new owner of the unit does not have to return the safe/money. While I would not keep all of it, I would not have settled for $1.2million. That is 16% percent. I would be willing to return half - no less.

And finally, as someone pointed out, it is suspicious that such a large sum of money is squirreled away in a safe in a storage unit. I would want to make sure that it is legitimate money so that I would not get in trouble with the law or IRS.
Ooohhh I can guarantee that's ill gotten gold. That's why it's hanging out in a locker buried with a bunch of junk! I'm kind of curious on the back story now. :o
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:06 pm
mojogirl wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:26 pm Hell no I wouldn't have given any of it back.
Imagine the lawsuit though. I'm sure counsel advised him just to give him the 1.2 and be done with the whole thing. Boneheads.
I suppose it would depend a great deal on the contracts signed by the storage owner and the auction buyer. Honestly, I'd almost rather waste the money away in lawyer fees than give it away.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:20 pm I would not give any back. They were dumb to put that money there instead of a bank and then even dumber to let the storage unit expire
Yup. I would have kept my mouth shut.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:03 pm If it was legally my money, I wouldn't have said a damned thing to anyone. I feel for the person who's friend's wife decided to blab.

I would keep my mug shut and enjoy my newly acquired millions.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

I wouldn't have said a word to anybody.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I wouldn't have given them sh*t.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Shit is probably counterfeit anyway or something's wrong with it. Because if it wasn't no one in their right mind would let that unit go to auction.
AuntFlo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Or it was hidden during a divorce

Some people will do anything to keep a spouse away from their cash
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:06 pm $7.5 million in cash in a storage unit. They hid it there so they wouldn't have to pay taxes on it. And I seriously wonder how they were able to accumulate so much cash. Drug money? I hope the cops are investigating and I hope IRS definitely is on the ball. And charges these people with tax fraud. Because they owe the IRS 39.6% of $7.5 million or $2.9 million if my math is right.
AuntFlo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:05 pm I'm also wondering how the hell someone who had MILLIONS stashed away was unable to maintain payment on their storage unit.
Paris Hilton had her storage unit sold at auction back when she was popular

There were naked pictures

Diaries

Cellphones with celebrity phone numbers

Expensive clothing and jewelry

Rich people are dumb sometimes
Locked Previous topicNext topic