Well Hell-Updated

cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Madeyemoody wrote: ↑Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:05 am thats ridiculous! When teacher appreciation day comes along send in a note on a post it saying I’d love to get you a gift but I’m on strike πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ
LOL, best response I have ever read!!! :lol:
Deleted User 670

Unread post

The teachers' salaries are the highest in the state, but how do they compare nationwide. You say they received a 7% raise last year and it's a lower COL state, but where did their salaries rank among other sectors of employment? A 7% raise is nothing if their salaries rank below other sectors of employment, even if it is a lower COL state.
Classy Blue Cadillac

Unread post

Rosehawk wrote: ↑Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:24 am We were all geared up to start school tomorrow, and got the notification at 9:00pm that school is closed. The teacher's union refuses to settle, is making the district out to be the villain, and is now refusing to work without a contract.

Normally I'd support the teachers in a case like this, but not this time. The teacher's here are some of the highest paid in the state, and it's a low COL area. They got a 7% raise last year when there was no money and no other district offered a raise. They refuse to accept the 8.5% (roughly) raise the district is currently offering.

The only ones being hurt by this are the kids.

:x :x :x :x :x :x
Wow, I don't blame you whatsoever for being upset over this, with maybe even some possible feelings of anger. I would feel the same way. Schools these days hardly seem like they are in session as it is anymore, as it seems like the damn Schools are always, or for that matter *seem* to always be taking off (minus legitimate holidays when they are off) when the districts of course feel like doing so. Every School year now days I and my dh swear seems to get shorter days wise rather then making it maybe a bit longer year of instruction. I also agree with you that the only ones being hurt are yes indeed the kids >:(

This is going to be a super unpopular opinion that myself and my husband both are on the same page about, but here it goes, we are both very much are against teachers unions as it is. We don't think that should even exist. We believe that if teachers want more pay then they should thus have to work harder for it. The little they work during the school year as it is, does not warrant more higher pay. Look at it this way, those pathetic teachers you are dealing with are nothing but SELFISH. They clearly only care about themselves and not the kids. Also, it just goes to show that there are teachers(not all teachers) but some who unfortunately get into teaching for the wrong reasons and that would be for the benefit package whatever that may be.

That's what ya call ENTITLEMENT issues at it's finest. Smh!
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That’s ridiculous. Sometimes you have to be happy with what you have or move along to another district.

Unread post

That's how unions work. If an agreement can't be reached, there's a strike until it can be.
cellomom26 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:49 am
agander2017 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:48 am I understand that they have a hard job, but seriously... it would serve them right if they all got fired for refusing to work, and they hired all new teachers. You can't complain about the amount of money you make, and refuse to go to work when you've recently received a 7% raise.
Exactly!

What do these immature people think other professions do when they don't like something at their job? In any other profession, throwing tantrums gets you fired.

Some, not all, but some in education do not live in reality.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Unless test scores last year were off the charts, they need to get back to work. Striking because other districts got bigger raises is ridiculous. If there is no more money, or reason, for huge raises, then they just should not happen. Period. These kinds of things are why unions are becoming more and more hated.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

CandTmom wrote: ↑Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:14 am I read about the strike. Teachers in surrounding cities got double digit raises. I don't think wanting similar makes them greedy at all.
Except for the fact that they got a 7% raise LAST year that surrounding areas didn't get, and the district was offering an 8%-9% raise THIS year, that would be the same as the surrounding areas are getting now. They are demanding a 13% raise NOW, on top of the 7% last year.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: ↑Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:17 am I almost always side with the teachers but definitely not in this case. Damn poor kids.
Same with us. This is not the first strike we've been through, but it IS the first one that I don't support.
Then people ruined it
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anon wrote: ↑Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:21 am Considering every other district around them got double digit raises and they got 7% I can see why they are upset but striking wasn't a good way to go about it.

Not quite. Last year my district got a 7% raise and surrounding areas got nothing. This year surrounding districts are getting a double digit raise while our district is offering an additional 8%-9% this year, on top of the 7% last year. The teachers have refused that offer and are demanding 13%, on top of the 7% last year. They are some of the highest paid teachers in the state to begin with.
Then people ruined it
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:41 pm The teachers' salaries are the highest in the state, but how do they compare nationwide. You say they received a 7% raise last year and it's a lower COL state, but where did their salaries rank among other sectors of employment? A 7% raise is nothing if their salaries rank below other sectors of employment, even if it is a lower COL state.
I live in a low COL area. There are parts of my state that are a very high COL area.

They got a raise last year when no one else did. They weren't happy with the 8%-9% raise offered this year because surrounding areas were getting a double digit raise.
Then people ruined it
Locked Previous topicNext topic