It’s not white privilege, it’s economic privilege

Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:42 am No one is saying racism is not out there. But it is not as bad as people are making out anymore.
I guess I shouldn’t worry that someone is going to see my son as a threat simply because he’s a black male? Because I worry all the time. I worry that my child was afraid to leave a minor confrontation because he thought if the police saw him running they would shoot him? And I don’t instill fear in my son. I tell him that those are isolated incidents and explain most people and police will not do those things. But his fear is real.

I’m sorry because I have to respectfully disagree and I don’t get into racial debates & I know that I don’t feel the effects as much as I could had my life been different. And I don’t take the opinions of ignorant people to heart. But it exists and it’s quieter in some aspects which makes it more insidious. I’d rather it be in your face than subtle
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Unfortunately, there is room in this world for both. Being wealthy has its privileges and being white has its privileges.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Economic privilege is indeed a part of it, however, even if a minority achieves economic wealth, they're still going to experience racism.
TheQueenOfEverything
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The two are not mutually exclusive
RedBottoms

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 am
RedBottoms wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:42 am No one is saying racism is not out there. But it is not as bad as people are making out anymore.
I guess I shouldn’t worry that someone is going to see my son as a threat simply because he’s a black male? Because I worry all the time. I worry that my child was afraid to leave a minor confrontation because he thought if the police saw him running they would shoot him? And I don’t instill fear in my son. I tell him that those are isolated incidents and explain most people and police will not do those things. But his fear is real.

I’m sorry because I have to respectfully disagree and I don’t get into racial debates & I know that I don’t feel the effects as much as I could had my life been different. And I don’t take the opinions of ignorant people to heart. But it exists and it’s quieter in some aspects which makes it more insidious. I’d rather it be in your face than subtle
I said racism exists in some people. But not every white cop is going to be that way. Just like I don't freak out in fear every time I see a young black male. I usually smile at them and say hi. That is the point. Its not everyone and therefore people need to stop talking like its everyone.

I think you are smart to raise your son to be aware and how to act to protect himself around police etc. But even my white DH almost got shot because he reached for his wallet without letting the cop know "Hey can I reach for my wallet?". Everyone needs to know how to act around cops. Not just black people
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:34 am
Bubbs wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 am

I said racism exists in some people. But not every white cop is going to be that way. Just like I don't freak out in fear every time I see a young black male. I usually smile at them and say hi. That is the point. Its not everyone and therefore people need to stop talking like its everyone.

I think you are smart to raise your son to be aware and how to act to protect himself around police etc. But even my white DH almost got shot because he reached for his wallet without letting the cop know "Hey can I reach for my wallet?". Everyone needs to know how to act around cops. Not just black people
I don’t believe it’s everyone, my life wouldn’t be what it is if I believed that. But the problem is you don’t know who it is, and that makes the worry very real.

If it’s not talked about it will never change. The people talking about, probably do not believe it’s everyone. Awareness and open dialogue is the solution IMO.

And sometimes I don’t even speak to it, because I know I have it easy and then maybe that’s why I should.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I agree. I know (and have worked for) a few of rich, black, powerful men.
Locked Previous topicNext topic