Dump and go instant pot cookbook

Deleted User 670

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:49 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:39 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:36 pm

You didn't have issue with the cream curdling when it was cooked at high pressure? I've been told to add cream, cream cheese/dairy items last. I will need to try both recipes.
No You add the cream cheese when everything is done. The only issue I had is that if it sits in the pot too long warming (because the kid hasn't come home yet) then the penne balloon up and become over done. I've made it twice and hubs and kid have said how good it is each time.
So going to have to try it. Penne, ziti, and those tube shaped pastas have a nasty habit of turning into giant beasts.
Yeah, next time, I'm gonna pull the inner pot out and set it on the stove to cool down.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:32 pm
Dylexsmommy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:03 am I took the plunge, got an instant pot. Now I'm intimated by this machine. Lol

I bought this book.
Screenshot_20191228-090159_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I'm looking for a dump and go cookbook also

Can't find one easily online.
Does anybody have any suggestions or websites with good dump and go recipes?

TIA
I was too at first. But I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I made this recently and it was delish.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/insta ... baafdeaac4

The only thing I would do differently is when it came time to cook the dumplings, pull the chicken and veggies out of the pot like you would making chicken and dumplings on the stove so the chicken doesn't over cook. And use a rolling pin to flatten the dumplings before dropping them in so they cook faster. I used a large package of chicken tenderloins simply because they were 1) cheaper and 2) quicker to cut up in bite size pieces.

This is another recipe that turned out well.
https://www.brit.co/instant-pot-creamy-chicken-pasta/
I chopped up some baby spinach and put into the pot too for a one-pot meal. I've made this a couple of times. It's good as a leftover the next day but obviously not as creamy, but still good.
Ahh thank you. Those both look delicious. I must be hungry, my mouth is watering.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I am going to go with "yes, it's worth it", although I have reservations.

More than you probably ever wanted to know about my opinion on my instapot:

It's not the solution to all my family meals (like it is for some cooks), BUT I do like it & use it. Here is why:
  • I have a medium size kitchen without specialty cabinets, so I keep appliances on my counter-tops, as I don't like dragging them out, and this one gives me a two-for-one deal, as I use it for insta-pot cooking & slow cooking.
  • You can saute in it first for either cooking function, which means better flavor from browning & deglazing, if you cook it fast or slow, and then it's a one-pot meal for easier clean-up.
  • Other clean up, it is a stainless steel cooking vessel, which means, soak it while you eat, and then just throw it in the dishwasher unless things are really stuck on.
  • You can take pre-prepped recipes and pressure cook them quickly and they don't require attention, as they would simmering on the stove (stirring and such).
  • As I try to decrease our meat intake, I use it to pre-cook dried legumes in it. It cooks them very quickly and then I can freeze them or fridge them. I also like it to turn pie pumpkins into puree (quicker than the over) & apple into applesauce (quicker than the stove top).
  • If you had a slow cooker meal but forgot to put it in or turn it on (am I the only one that does this?) You can adapt it and save dinner.
  • It's a viable cooking option for many main and side dishes, when you don't want to heat up the oven.
However, here is why I don't understand about the burning public love for the device:
  • It's not a magic device that imparts flavor, like I said, a dump and go recipes, will often still taste just, "blah", you still have to plan, prep, and develop flavors for "great" meals, which takes time no matter in the insta-pot, the oven, on the stove or anywhere.
  • It still takes time, a fair amount in fact, to come to pressure & cook your meal. I can cook many meals on the stove top just as fast.I think it's a myth about saving all this time.
  • You have to cook everything in the pot at the exact same time, which means textures of veggies can be mushy or the meat can be tough.
  • This may be specific to my device, as I have had mine for while, but bottom heats high enough, that it burn the sugar tomato sauces, which is a huge downside for me, as I cook a fair amount of tomato based chiles & sauces

DH helped DS buy me a air fryer for Xmas, so I am playing around with that now, LOL. I'm going see if it lives up to it's hype now too!

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:07 pm When it comes to cooking, I place a lot of stock in your opinion! Is the craze worth the purchase?
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:31 pm *disclaimer* I love to cook; my family is quite spoiled by many time-intensive, "foodie" like meals.

I have found very few dump & go recipes that are exception in the insta-pot. Edible yes, but my family sort of "grumbles" don't ever make this again .

My favorite insta-pot book is TOG cookbook, and even then, her dump & go are not my favorite.

MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:24 pm
MistressMonster wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:16 pm
Dylexsmommy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:11 pm

Thank you! That video was very informative. Haha the guy is super excited about his instant pots isnt he?
You're welcome! Glad the video was helpful. Jeffery is bomb. He was awhile back featured on GMA along with another Youtuber to show off their IP recipes. I've made two of his recipes. I did post a link to his website on the first page.
Yes thank you. I bookmarked it already.
https://www.crunchycreamysweet.com/inst ... spaghetti/

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/ins ... -pea-soup/

https://tastythin.com/vegetarian-lentil ... ow-cooker/

https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/insta ... heesecake/

https://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/ ... io-e-pepe/

These are recipes I've tried, and had great luck with. The cheesecake one I always get rave reviews.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:29 pm I am going to go with "yes, it's worth it", although I have reservations.

It's not the solution to all my family meals (like it is for some cooks), BUT I do like it & use it. Here is why:
  • I have a medium size kitchen without specialty cabinets, so I keep appliances on my counter-tops, as I don't like dragging them out, and this one gives me a two-for-one deal, as I use it for insta-pot cooking & slow cooking.
  • You can saute in it first for either cooking function, which means better flavor from browning & deglazing, if you cook it fast or slow, and then it's a one-pot meal for easier clean-up.
  • Other clean up, it is a stainless steel cooking vessel, which means, soak it while you eat, and then just throw it in the dishwasher unless things are really stuck on.
  • You can take pre-prepped recipes and pressure cook them quickly and they don't require attention, as they would simmering on the stove (stirring and such).
  • As I try to decrease our meat intake, I use it to pre-cook dried legumes in it. It cooks them very quickly and then I can freeze them or fridge them. I also like it to turn pie pumpkins into puree (quicker than the over) & apple into applesauce (quicker than the stove top).
  • If you had a slow cooker meal but forgot to put it in or turn it on (am I the only one that does this?) You can adapt it and save dinner.
  • It's a viable cooking option for many main and side dishes, when you don't want to heat up the oven.
However, here is why I don't understand about the burning public love for the device:
  • It's not a magic device that imparts flavor, like I said, a dump and go recipes, will often still taste just, "blah", you still have to plan, prep, and develop flavors for "great" meals, which takes time no matter in the insta-pot, the oven, on the stove or anywhere.
  • It still takes time, a fair amount in fact, to come to pressure & cook your meal. I can cook many meals on the stove top just as fast.I think it's a myth about saving all this time.
  • You have to cook everything in the pot at the exact same time, which means textures of veggies can be mushy or the meat can be tough.
  • This may be specific to my device, as I have had mine for while, but bottom heats high enough, that it burn the sugar tomato sauces, which is a huge downside for me, as I cook a fair amount of tomato based chiles & sauces

DH helped DS buy me a air fryer for Xmas, so I am playing around with that now, LOL. I'm going see if it lives up to it's hype now too!

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:07 pm When it comes to cooking, I place a lot of stock in your opinion! Is the craze worth the purchase?
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:31 pm *disclaimer* I love to cook; my family is quite spoiled by many time-intensive, "foodie" like meals.

I have found very few dump & go recipes that are exception in the insta-pot. Edible yes, but my family sort of "grumbles" don't ever make this again .

My favorite insta-pot book is TOG cookbook, and even then, her dump & go are not my favorite.

I still use my stove and oven. I know personally it's not the end all of everything. It's floored me when I've seen some say in the IP group they are going to remove their stove from the home. I'm thinking WTH? I do like my pot. But it isn't going to make my fudge, or bake cookies for me.

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Thank you so much for taking the time to type out all this. It was really helpful to me. I'll probably end up electing to not get one. I have spent so much time in the kitchen and over the years have developed so many family favorite recipes that I don't think it would be wise for me to start messing with the system now! lol Gonna stick with what I know I'm good at and those recipes that I know my family loves. :)
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:29 pm I am going to go with "yes, it's worth it", although I have reservations.

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:38 pm

I still use my stove and oven. I know personally it's not the end all of everything. It's floored me when I've seen some say in the IP group they are going to remove their stove from the home. I'm thinking WTH? I do like my pot. But it isn't going to make my fudge, or bake cookies for me.
Right? LOL, I know but some people say that about their slow cooker or their air fryer too. I think that some people didn't really ever cook before, and these machines allow & give them the motivation to start & continue, so to them, it probably does totally rock!!
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Right? LOL, I know but some people say that about their slow cooker or their air fryer too. I think that some people didn't really ever cook before, and these machines allow & give them the motivation to start & continue, so to them, it probably does totally rock!!
I haven't caught that about the air fryer or slow cooker yet. I'm sure I will in due time. I am not the biggest fan of cooking in general. One of my goals for this new year is to try and cook more at home.

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:45 pm

I haven't caught that about the air fryer or slow cooker yet. I'm sure I will in due time. I am not the biggest fan of cooking in general. One of my goals for this new year is to try and cook more at home.
I follow cooking blogs, so many I am biased, LOL.

Good luck with your goals. If I recall correctly, you don't have many to cook for, I think I would struggle to cook for just 2.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:45 pm

I follow cooking blogs, so many I am biased, LOL.

Good luck with your goals. If I recall correctly, you don't have many to cook for, I think I would struggle to cook for just 2.
Locked Previous topicNext topic