Dog question **edited

Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would try watering down dry dog food and see if he eats it that way. Or Gradually start mixing it in with the wet food more and more until he’s eating all dry. But whatever you do I wouldn’t feed him cat food. Cats and dogs have different dietary needs.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I feed my dog a mixture of kibble and homemade food. I boil a bunch of chicken thighs in a big pot and then when chicken is cooked, I pull it out and set the thighs on a cookie sheet until cool enough to debone. I then save the broth and throw in some rice and frozen veggies. When the rice is cooked, I take the chicken that I've diced (skin and cartilage too) and toss back into the pot and use my immersion wand to puree everything together. I freeze this in batches and then put about 1/4 cup of it in Heidi's bowl with the kibble and mix it up. I feed her a high-grade grain-free kibble but no matter how high-grade and expensive any kibble is, it's still processed. So I feel better tossing in fresh food in her bowl. You can also scramble an egg and add to her bowl with kibble.

But you should have the dog checked by the vet.
RestingBitchFace13
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:17 am No, you should not feed a dog cat food, cat food is much higher in protein and calories and dog food has more fiber since dogs and cats have different diets. You can try switching the dog over, but if it doesn't work, I don't know what you mean by you can't be wasting the money. If the dog is eating it or not, you're using the same amount of dog food. If you can't afford to feed the dog everyday, you probably shouldn't have the dog. If they don't eat it right away, just put the food in the fridge and try again later.
I don’t like wasting money and if I buy something and I can’t save it and it doesn’t get eaten it’s a waste. It just bothers me. Honestly I don’t know who just enjoys wasting money 🤔.

If I buy my children something and they waste it I don’t continue to buy it. It’s not that I cannot afford to feed my children I cannot afford to waste money
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RestingBitchFace13 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:30 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:17 am No, you should not feed a dog cat food, cat food is much higher in protein and calories and dog food has more fiber since dogs and cats have different diets. You can try switching the dog over, but if it doesn't work, I don't know what you mean by you can't be wasting the money. If the dog is eating it or not, you're using the same amount of dog food. If you can't afford to feed the dog everyday, you probably shouldn't have the dog. If they don't eat it right away, just put the food in the fridge and try again later.
I don’t like wasting money and if I buy something and I can’t save it and it doesn’t get eaten it’s a waste. It just bothers me. Honestly I don’t know who just enjoys wasting money 🤔.

If I buy my children something and they waste it I don’t continue to buy it. It’s not that I cannot afford to feed my children I cannot afford to waste money
What did the dogs vet say?
Anonymous 6

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:53 pm I feed my dog a mixture of kibble and homemade food. I boil a bunch of chicken thighs in a big pot and then when chicken is cooked, I pull it out and set the thighs on a cookie sheet until cool enough to debone. I then save the broth and throw in some rice and frozen veggies. When the rice is cooked, I take the chicken that I've diced (skin and cartilage too) and toss back into the pot and use my immersion wand to puree everything together. I freeze this in batches and then put about 1/4 cup of it in Heidi's bowl with the kibble and mix it up. I feed her a high-grade grain-free kibble but no matter how high-grade and expensive any kibble is, it's still processed. So I feel better tossing in fresh food in her bowl. You can also scramble an egg and add to her bowl with kibble.

Strange that you add a grain to your dogs grain free food...
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:44 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:53 pm I feed my dog a mixture of kibble and homemade food. I boil a bunch of chicken thighs in a big pot and then when chicken is cooked, I pull it out and set the thighs on a cookie sheet until cool enough to debone. I then save the broth and throw in some rice and frozen veggies. When the rice is cooked, I take the chicken that I've diced (skin and cartilage too) and toss back into the pot and use my immersion wand to puree everything together. I freeze this in batches and then put about 1/4 cup of it in Heidi's bowl with the kibble and mix it up. I feed her a high-grade grain-free kibble but no matter how high-grade and expensive any kibble is, it's still processed. So I feel better tossing in fresh food in her bowl. You can also scramble an egg and add to her bowl with kibble.

Strange that you add a grain to your dogs grain free food...
I buy the grain free because they don't make one with brown rice and chicken. If they did I'd buy it. I buy grain free mainly to eliminate the corn. Most kibble with grain has corn as one of the main ingredients.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

wet the dry food let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then feed it to the dog.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:20 pm I just adopted a dog today from a woman not a shelter. The dog has been eating wet food. I’m not a fan of wet food for dogs or cats. The woman claimed she tried every dry dog food available and the dog wouldn’t touch them. She did say the dog would eat dry cat food. Can you feed a dog dry cat food and still have it be healthy?

Another reason I don’t want to continue with wet food is sometimes the dog decides not to eat and I can’t be wasting money like that. If it ate it every time then ok no big deal. But if it doesn’t eat it then it gets expensive to waste it. It’s a 9 year old dog if that matters. It a medium size mutt about 40-45 lbs.

EDIT-
I haven’t had a dog in several years. I fed my first dog which I obtained from a family member the dry food she had been eating. When I got a puppy I fed it puppy food then that brand of regular food when it grew up both were dry foods. My childhood dog ate dry food. My cats eat dry food. I don’t like wet food. I was too lazy to try to research exactly WHY they are different. I did have dry DOG FOOD on hand from when my moms dog visits so I tried it today and I cooked an egg and mixed it in and the dog gobbled it up. My mom buys a high quality grain free dog food for her German Shepherd I will ask her the brand & flavor tomorrow. After I fed the dog the dry food with the egg it would eat it’s wet food 😂. So it’s trial & error I suppose. The dog was just seen at the vet prior to me getting her. Also I wasn’t planning on getting a dog, last week some lady at Walmart offered me $500 to take the dog because her neighbor was moving. I went to her house to meet it last week and told her & her neighbor to bring it to my house on Sunday to see how it did. The dog did well so they unloaded it’s crate & stuff. I was unaware until they brought in bags full of wet food that it ate wet food. I refused to take the $500 from them and the woman insisted so I proposed she go to the vet add the money to the dogs account and that way the money goes directly to the dog. The woman who organized this is 85 the woman who owned the dog was almost 70 they are neighbors at a senior citizen apartment building. The woman who owned it is leaving to move to Ireland in a couple weeks and was going to drop the dog off at a shelter. I also told the woman who organized this that I was only taking the dog if she intended to stay in contact with me so that she could continue being part of the dogs life. I intend to make a visit with the vet to establish myself at that office and update the dogs information although the woman called me today and said she took care of adding me as the new owner. I have all the records going back to 2014 nothing is specific about the dogs diet. It chews bones perfectly fine so I don’t think the teeth are fine and it’s last appointment was a couple months ago and nothing is listed as far as any health issue.

As far as “wasting money” I don’t continue to buy things my children waste I’m not doing it for my kids I’m not doing it for a pet. It’s common sense who can just afford to waste money 🙄
That's ridiculous. Why would you do that to an 85 year old woman who is not the owner to begin with?
Locked Previous topicNext topic