New to this,need some help.

RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There's actually a lot of options out there. We have to live a healthy lifestyle for the sake of my oldest health. we do lots of Cauliflower potatoes and rice. We also eat the veggie pasta. Veggie fries and tots. We switched from mayo to avocado spread. We buy sugar free pasta sauce and ketchup. We do lettuce wraps and cauliflower pizza. No juice or soda period. We do not buy sweets for dessert. We get Veggie chips and usually a hummus dip. also include lots of beans and protein. The change was hard at first but now its become normal. Good luck!
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:25 pm What do people who don't eat carbs do for bread and side dishes. Just found out DH is type 2 diabetic and have to make some changes. I'm so lost. I went and bought some stuff the doc recommended but all they have is veggies,meat and eggs on the list. Please help ladies,blood sugar is close to 300 in the am before anything to eat or drink besides his water at night.
Yes because vegetables, meat and eggs is what you're supposed to be eating. That's what we're all supposed to be eating. Why is this stunning you? Is your diet that poor now? That's how we should be eating even without metabolic disease.

Google keto recipes, Google paleo recipes. Those things do not incorporate bread. They avoid it. You'll get good recipes from there.

Use riced cauliflower instead of rice. Mash cooked cauliflower instead of potatoes. They even have "noodles" made from squash in the frozen food section.

There are also people who make a keto cloud bread using I think cream cheese and eggs, something like that. Look up keto cloud bread.

There's also people who use cheese to make a bread like substance that you can eat with hamburgers.

You can also still bake bread but with coconut or almond flour and keep it very low carb.

Nothing in a box. Nothing processed. Shop the outside aisles of the stores. That's where your fresh produce and meats are.

Protein stabilizes blood sugar. Carbs from vegetables are ok. If he likes fruit he can have strawberries, blue berries, etc. Those are low sugar. Very very limited on grapes and bananas. They're very sugary. No corn - tons of sugar.

Good luck to him and good luck reshaping your family's eating habits. There's tons of low/no carb recipe sites out there. You can modify just about anything to make it a healthier food.

You'll need to adjust your taste but you'll get used to it. He's going to likely feel like crap the first few days off of processed sugar, but that will fade.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Two of the hospitals near me have programs to support diabetics with registered dieticans, nurses, education and support groups. Try the websites of hospitals near you. Now that I'm checking, it looks like all the hospitals in my area have some level of support.

Take a look here: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitnes ... ff-slabnav

Good luck. If the whole family is doing it, changing his diet will be easier. You do not have to give up everything. My friend counts carbs, but she will have a taste of various treats. She knows ahead of time and will budget differently at the other meals.
Mrs.ChuckBass
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

hmmm....I would google recipes for people with type 2 diabetes or maybe contact the local diabetes foundation and ask if there are any cooking classes you can take to better help him manage his condition and nutrition?
I have gluten allergies and they popped up about 6 years ago now, and I'm still trying to figure out how to feed myself, changing the way we cook and eat isn't easy!!
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:25 am I made butternut squash carbonara last night. I took butternut squash that was spiral sliced ( found it at the grocery store), zucchini done the same way, cut up a red bell pepper and sprinkled it with salt, pepper and olive oil and then roasted it for about 15 minutes at 400. In a pan, I cooked 4 slices of bacon, removed the bacon and to the oil added 2 grated cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of chicken broth ( low sodium and fat free- I buy this one as the sodium is 150 mg vs 900 of other brands)..In another bowl, I beat 2 eggs with 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese. I took 3 TB of the broth from the pan and tempered the eggs with it and then poured the egg mixture into the pan to cook through and get creamy. ( It did not thicken enough for me so I'm thinking I will make it the traditional way from now on and leave out the broth). Then, I tossed it with the veggies ( which I also added broccoli and asparagus to). Topped it with the bacon that I crumbled. Super low carb as it was basically all vegetables. Doing things like that will bump your vegetable intake and lower the carb intake which will be great for him as a diabetic.
What does tempered the eggs mean?
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

dlife.com is a really good site for diabetic recipes. I used that a lot when I had gestational diabetes.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It heats the eggs gently so they do not scramble once they are put on the heat.
Vegaswife2011 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:52 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:25 am I made butternut squash carbonara last night. I took butternut squash that was spiral sliced ( found it at the grocery store), zucchini done the same way, cut up a red bell pepper and sprinkled it with salt, pepper and olive oil and then roasted it for about 15 minutes at 400. In a pan, I cooked 4 slices of bacon, removed the bacon and to the oil added 2 grated cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of chicken broth ( low sodium and fat free- I buy this one as the sodium is 150 mg vs 900 of other brands)..In another bowl, I beat 2 eggs with 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese. I took 3 TB of the broth from the pan and tempered the eggs with it and then poured the egg mixture into the pan to cook through and get creamy. ( It did not thicken enough for me so I'm thinking I will make it the traditional way from now on and leave out the broth). Then, I tossed it with the veggies ( which I also added broccoli and asparagus to). Topped it with the bacon that I crumbled. Super low carb as it was basically all vegetables. Doing things like that will bump your vegetable intake and lower the carb intake which will be great for him as a diabetic.
What does tempered the eggs mean?
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
lalaballet
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

90 second bread is good. Also stuff made with almond flour. I’ve been Keto for close to seven years so I don’t get type two diabetes.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I was reading this morning that diabetics can eat pure sourdough bread but I've never looked to see if it's true so dont rely on it. I make my family's bread from my gluten free sourdough starter and my stomach feels a ton better with that. I don't know a ton about diabetes though. Good luck!
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pinterest is your friend. You're welcome.
Locked Previous topicNext topic