It’s not white privilege, it’s economic privilege

NotACatfish
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Guest wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 pm
Guest wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 pm So...are you saying white privilege doesn't exist? Racism is dead?
HURRAY!
I’m saying if you’re rich and have dark skin, you’re unlikely to struggle
That’s not what privilege means. It’s not about who is struggling the most. A wealthy dark skinned person still faces racism and bigotry. They’re still more likely to be pulled over, to get treated unfairly in school, etc. It’s like how a white woman who is wealthy will still experience misogyny. Having one form of privilege doesn’t protect you from all forms of oppression.
Anon

Unread post

NotACatfish wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 pm
Guest wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 pm So...are you saying white privilege doesn't exist? Racism is dead?
HURRAY!
That’s not what privilege means. It’s not about who is struggling the most. A wealthy dark skinned person still faces racism and bigotry. They’re still more likely to be pulled over, to get treated unfairly in school, etc. It’s like how a white woman who is wealthy will still experience misogyny. Having one form of privilege doesn’t protect you from all forms of oppression.

You dont think that stuff happens to white people. Because it does.
NotACatfish
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anon wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:13 pm

I never said that.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Every time I see these type of posts, I always type out these long ass posts to explain white privledge. And then I delete them because I realize, no one ever cares or reads them.

But OP, one does not negate the other. *sigh*

Unread post

Guest wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:01 pm You don't think any of them had scholarship? You think rich black folks don't experience the effects of racism? You think institutionalised racism causes rich non white folks?

God, this post is the epitome of naivete.
It is both. You can be rich and a minority and face racism, same as if you are white and very poor. My DH was a brilliant man, extremely smart and talented. He was told point blank he would not be getting a scholarship because he was a white male. He was an amazing artist until he sliced his fingers in his senior year. Because his family was so poor he worked 30 hours a week while maintaining a perfect 4.0 GPA on high school and was co founder of the art club. He was athletic but his school was a no name school in the middle of no where ville. It was so poor it couldn't afford a football team.
He worked a factory job while going to college full time. It was really hard for him to claw his way to where he got because people just assumed he would have it easier anyway.
We moved to a more diverse area and when DH got a promotion after working there for 15 years, with 20 years work experience, a college degree and took all the required courses the company offered people accused my dh of getting the promotion because he was white. It was definitely a "Are you F***ing kidding me?!" comment.
He worked so hard to provide for us and save up for our kids college tuition because he never wanted our kids to have to struggle like him. I worked too but he was the main bread winner. Then he died before 40 or seeing any of our kids graduate high school.
deltathree
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

NotACatfish wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:00 pm It’s both. You can have many different forms of privilege while not having others.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I tend to agree. I live in the land of white trash trailer parks. Those people are not privileged. My kids have attended Title 1 schools and its all white kids but these are dirt poor white kids. They are not privileged. They come to school with dirty clothes, no coat, no food, no school supplies, mom on meth, Dad in jail etc.

And they have to attend school with the middle class white kids and I know its hard for them seeing those kids get everything and them getting nothing. Doesn't matter they are white. I doubt they feel they have it made.

However, my black friend C from childhood has lead an extremely charmed life because her Dad was a neurosurgeon. They lived in the best neighborhood. Went to a fancy private school. Had the best of everything. Now she is a lawyer.

So don't tell me for example C has it worse than those dirt poor white kids. No.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anon wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:13 pm

It absolutely does. My stepdad who is white was in charge at his cabinet shop of being the first one there in the morning to open everything up for everyone else. So he was driving out there EARLY. Like 4 in the morning early. Since construction workers start early. And the shop was in a very black ghetto poor neighborhood. My Stepdad was pulled over by cops just about EVERY morning because they assumed a white man driving there at that time of night was out looking for hookers or drugs.

He had to explain what he was doing every time and yet next day-they pull him over again. Finally he complained to the chief of police about it and they finally stopped pulling him over. So don't say white men don't get needlessly harassed by police. They absolutely do.

My DH who is white was almost shot my police once. He was pulled over at night in the very police state part of town he lived in. He was coming home from my house late. He was not speeding or anything. They pulled him over and my DH was stupid and reached for his wallet and the cops pulled a gun on him and almost shot him thinking he was going for a gun. So again, don't say white people don't ever get harassed by cops.
RedBottoms

Unread post

No one is saying racism is not out there. But it is not as bad as people are making out anymore.
Countess
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Racism is fueled by preconceived notions and stereotypes. All nationalities fall under this umbrella of thinking, I.e. Blacks are criminals, Irish are drunks, Italians are mafioso, etc. Most only focus on racism being a black/white issue. We all are affected by racism because of these talking points. Some are worse than others because their "group" have more fuel to keep that particular stereotype burning. If we all took the time to hold judgement until a particular person proves they are not what is preconceived because of their race, maybe racism would not be such a glaring reality in our world. We all have our issues with racism whether we have money or not.
Locked Previous topicNext topic