Covid-19 death rates way up in certain states

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:58 pm Florida is the new GLOBAL epicenter.
Our governor is an idiot and a puppet.
But according to the New York Times only a few days ago, Arizona was the new Global Epicenter:
https://www.kgun9.com/news/coronavirus ... ic-hotspot

Apparently your state has now stolen our notoriety. ;) lol
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:16 am We opened entirely too soon and with testing not available until the latter part of May and into June (UNLESS you exhibited symptoms; tests were to be used on those with actual symptoms, first responders, and medical personnel ONLY here), we are now seeing the increase we are.

We now have different restrictions and closures put back in place and hopefully this will help to eventually "flatten the curve," so to speak.

Essentially, Arizona did not see the first wave initially that so many other states did until now.

But I'll continue to write this.....politicizing a pandemic and especially one such as Covid is insane at a minimum and it does nothing more than demonstrate childish competition for those who do so (ETA...writing THIS in general).

No state has deliberately "done this to themselves," and that type of thinking really rubs me the wrong way because there's no point to it and it's cold-hearted IMO.
Well, call me cold-hearted then. Georgia abso-freakin-lutely did this to themselves. My DA governor opened every single thing that you cannot socially distance with- in April. April..Tattoo shops, barbers, nail salons, hair salons, and massage shops. How in the heck can you distance with those?? Three days later- bowling alleys, movie theaters, and restaurants could be dine in ( with restrictions). A week later- the malls were opened. Then, a week later with numbers rising- Oh, we are going to open up the beaches again, plus the state parks/ regular parks, but government buildings will still be closed. After another week or so, I'm going to relax dine in restrictions and you can have groups of up to 25 now. Well, guess what? People flocked to the parks, beaches, FL, etc when he did all of this. Now? GA is #9 in the country. It is because Kemp is a complete idiot that opened completely by the 2nd week of May. It was not slow at all. People here refuse to wear masks because it is and I quote: an infringement of their rights. Kemp refuses to make a mask mandate and when the Atlanta mayor signed a law that made them required in the city of Atlanta, he spoke out against her and said it was not enforceable and he did not support it. Other mayors across the state have mandated it because we are now back up to a 9.6% infection rate for the state.
Nah.. Georgia did it to themselves by going buck wild, not listening to the experts, listening to our moron governor, and refusing to wear masks. I see it first hand and Georgians have only themselves to blame for the rise in numbers. If people had listened to the experts and not had parties/ graduations, clogging the beaches/ parks and worn masks we might have flattened the curve here. Instead, we have now made a really crappy list.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:16 am We opened entirely too soon and with testing not available until the latter part of May and into June (UNLESS you exhibited symptoms; tests were to be used on those with actual symptoms, first responders, and medical personnel ONLY here), we are now seeing the increase we are.

We now have different restrictions and closures put back in place and hopefully this will help to eventually "flatten the curve," so to speak.

Essentially, Arizona did not see the first wave initially that so many other states did until now.

But I'll continue to write this.....politicizing a pandemic and especially one such as Covid is insane at a minimum and it does nothing more than demonstrate childish competition for those who do so (ETA...writing THIS in general).

No state has deliberately "done this to themselves," and that type of thinking really rubs me the wrong way because there's no point to it and it's cold-hearted IMO.
And I believe this was part of our problem. I remember when the pandemic first hit the US and was a big thing and numbers were skyrocketing in other states. I was sitting here in my little city in AZ barely seeing any numbers at all. It was way too easy to think that the whole thing was blown out of proportion. And I don't know but I suspect that's part of why we opened too early - because it just didn't seem that bad here. Until it did, and almost overnight we seemed like a global hotspot and all eyes are on us.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:11 am

Well, call me cold-hearted then. Georgia abso-freakin-lutely did this to themselves. My DA governor opened every single thing that you cannot socially distance with- in April. April..Tattoo shops, barbers, nail salons, hair salons, and massage shops. How in the heck can you distance with those?? Three days later- bowling alleys, movie theaters, and restaurants could be dine in ( with restrictions). A week later- the malls were opened. Then, a week later with numbers rising- Oh, we are going to open up the beaches again, plus the state parks/ regular parks, but government buildings will still be closed. After another week or so, I'm going to relax dine in restrictions and you can have groups of up to 25 now. Well, guess what? People flocked to the parks, beaches, FL, etc when he did all of this. Now? GA is #9 in the country. It is because Kemp is a complete idiot that opened completely by the 2nd week of May. It was not slow at all. People here refuse to wear masks because it is and I quote: an infringement of their rights. Kemp refuses to make a mask mandate and when the Atlanta mayor signed a law that made them required in the city of Atlanta, he spoke out against her and said it was not enforceable and he did not support it. Other mayors across the state have mandated it because we are now back up to a 9.6% infection rate for the state.
Nah.. Georgia did it to themselves by going buck wild, not listening to the experts, listening to our moron governor, and refusing to wear masks. I see it first hand and Georgians have only themselves to blame for the rise in numbers. If people had listened to the experts and not had parties/ graduations, clogging the beaches/ parks and worn masks we might have flattened the curve here. Instead, we have now made a really crappy list.
I get your anger and frustrations.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:07 pm

And I believe this was part of our problem. I remember when the pandemic first hit the US and was a big thing and numbers were skyrocketing in other states. I was sitting here in my little city in AZ barely seeing any numbers at all. It was way too easy to think that the whole thing was blown out of proportion. And I don't know but I suspect that's part of why we opened too early - because it just didn't seem that bad here. Until it did, and almost overnight we seemed like a global hotspot and all eyes are on us.
We appeared to have "flattened the curve" early on and thus, we opened too quickly (even with a slow reopen in certain instances) though we still were not doing those "testing blitzes" that are still going on and have produced all of the results they have now.

Other states were seeing huge #'s and enormous cases and deaths, and though some of them are seeing considerably less cases and so on, they should continue to use US and several other states as the example for what not to do while doing their slow reopening.

Hopefully now, with gyms, bars, and other establishments having to close for the time being and dine-in restaurants (something I am opposed to personally at this time) are now down to only 50% capacity, we'll see some turn around in the coming weeks.

There are too many situations and even people to point fingers at. And still too many Arizonans and even others across the country who think Covid is a "hoax" and will "go away after the election."

Insane!
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think that opening things up too early definitely contributed to the rise in numbers. Add to that the fact that people refuse to wear masks, take precautions, and social distance because it’s an “infringement upon their rights.” I’m wondering if the requirement to wear a seatbelt is also seen as an infringement on rights since that is also a safety measure... But of course, everything always needs to be politicized. I can’t deal with the conspiracy theorists anymore. It is not some worldwide conspiracy to take out Trump. Nor is the government trying to take away your personal freedoms. People are just so damn selfish and ignorant, and it’s really starting to show.
Locked Previous topicNext topic