COVID in hindsight!

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:19 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:10 am Do feel any of you OR your loved ones feel angry or upset in hindsight after the pandemic?

My husband is obsessed with “Monday morning quarterbacking” the media, the public health officials, the drug companies, and politician and their handling of COVID. He watches CNBC every AM, which is mostly the economic aftermath, which seems to fuel his fire. He brings it up multiple times a week and accuses me of gaslighting him any time I tell him he is over-reacting and being dramatic. He feels he was lied to, and is really angry.

I believe it would help him, if I could muster being equally angry and upset — and guys, I cannot. The media is biased. Medicine is a long game, research changes our practices all the time. And politicians, seriously, if I got upset everytime they are paid to make choices, well, is that not the majority policy items and elections? Come on…in general, I think the policy makers did the best they could with the information they had. I think now, with more information, mistakes were made, but whatcha going do? Why be angry?

Today we got in the most ridiculous fight over the Travis Kelse 2 for 1 immunization commercial. I love the husband so much, but i do not understand him right now, which is probably fueling his fire…
Just curious - what exactly is your DH angry about? What does he believe was a lie?
I am so emotionally exhausted by this ongoing on conversation in my home, that I do not really even want to post details.

But examples include: benefit of the second-wave or extended quarantine; benefits & risks of immunization of pediatric/teen population of normal risk (NOT those who are immune compromised); and the benefits of surgical masks in the general population. He feels high quality data & studies are either lacking or are just not supporting implementation of these measures yet he recalls intense moral shaming or anyone who questioned the measures. He feels this is done out of hubris, not scientific backing.

He also spends several hours a day following economists & market news, so he follows the profits of pharmaceuticals and the losses in other economic sectors, as well as inflation. And he feels mainstream media does not cover this well.

I am so tired of it all…so please ladies, do not come at me. I am just trying to be at peace in my little bubble.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I tend to stay away from the news and documentaries about most things now...it drains me. I wonder if your DH could/would take a break from watching/listening to deep, draining things. But during the beginning of COVID that's all I did was watch the news. I was obsessed. I could be angry I suppose but I wouldn't say I am. I learned a lot of lessons during it and still am. My DH has long COVID and it made his MS extremely worse while we both got it twice in 2 years. He barely can walk now. I suppose I could be angry at something, at someone/people, but I don't see how that would change anything at all for the better.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:44 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:10 am Do feel any of you OR your loved ones feel angry or upset in hindsight after the pandemic?

My husband is obsessed with “Monday morning quarterbacking” the media, the public health officials, the drug companies, and politician and their handling of COVID. He watches CNBC every AM, which is mostly the economic aftermath, which seems to fuel his fire. He brings it up multiple times a week and accuses me of gaslighting him any time I tell him he is over-reacting and being dramatic. He feels he was lied to, and is really angry.

I believe it would help him, if I could muster being equally angry and upset — and guys, I cannot. The media is biased. Medicine is a long game, research changes our practices all the time. And politicians, seriously, if I got upset everytime they are paid to make choices, well, is that not the majority policy items and elections? Come on…in general, I think the policy makers did the best they could with the information they had. I think now, with more information, mistakes were made, but whatcha going do? Why be angry?

Today we got in the most ridiculous fight over the Travis Kelse 2 for 1 immunization commercial. I love the husband so much, but i do not understand him right now, which is probably fueling his fire…
Just curious - what exactly is your DH angry about? What does he believe was a lie?
I am so emotionally exhausted by this ongoing on conversation in my home, that I do not really even want to post details.

But examples include: benefit of the second-wave or extended quarantine; benefits & risks of immunization of pediatric/teen population of normal risk (NOT those who are immune compromised); and the benefits of surgical masks in the general population. He feels high quality data & studies are either lacking or are just not supporting implementation of these measures yet he recalls intense moral shaming or anyone who questioned the measures. He feels this is done out of hubris, not scientific backing.

He also spends several hours a day following economists & market news, so he follows the profits of pharmaceuticals and the losses in other economic sectors, as well as inflation. And he feels mainstream media does not cover this well.

I am so tired of it all…so please ladies, do not come at me. I am just trying to be at peace in my little bubble.
Is this related to his job or just a “hobby”? If it’s just a hobby, then maybe you can talk to him about how his anger about in this topic is affecting you and y’all’s relationship. See if he is willing to review and/or limit his consumption of this type of media, because it seems to be fueling his anger which isn’t good for anybody. Hopefully y’all can find some peace. Best wishes.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:38 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:56 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:03 pm

“ Get this vaccine, it doesn’t matter if you think enough testing has been done, either get it or lose your job, your ability to utilize the public works you pay taxes for and the ability to shop for food without a computer. If you don’t have a computer/ can’t afford internet- go die alone. And also, no more medical privacy allowed, show your vaccine card or explain your allergies every time you are in public”
I didn't agree with any of that. A person has the right to decide what is put INTO their body.
Sadly though, a lot of people did agree…

Even in a few replies up from this one: “ And no, I don't think it should be up to anyone to decide to vax or not. Because it isn't just YOU whose life is at stake-it's mine“

There were just way too many people that started thinking “I truly believe I’m smarter than you, therefore I should get some control over your body”
Many people believe many things.

You can't lump every person together into the black and white boxes you've created.

I said the pandemic taught me that humans are selfish, you said that I must be a person who believes bodily autonomy should come second to the "greater good". I don't believe anyone should be forced or prevented from having any procedure done on their body. Wearing a mask and washing your hands doesn't interfere with bodily autonomy anymore than wearing clothes and deodorant does. I have a horrible burn on my back yet here I am wearing a bra and a shirt at work because it's a requirement of my employment that I come to work clothed.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:48 am
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:38 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:56 pm

I didn't agree with any of that. A person has the right to decide what is put INTO their body.
Sadly though, a lot of people did agree…

Even in a few replies up from this one: “ And no, I don't think it should be up to anyone to decide to vax or not. Because it isn't just YOU whose life is at stake-it's mine“

There were just way too many people that started thinking “I truly believe I’m smarter than you, therefore I should get some control over your body”
Many people believe many things.

You can't lump every person together into the black and white boxes you've created.

I said the pandemic taught me that humans are selfish, you said that I must be a person who believes bodily autonomy should come second to the "greater good". I don't believe anyone should be forced or prevented from having any procedure done on their body. Wearing a mask and washing your hands doesn't interfere with bodily autonomy anymore than wearing clothes and deodorant does. I have a horrible burn on my back yet here I am wearing a bra and a shirt at work because it's a requirement of my employment that I come to work clothed.
You seemed to be quoting me as a way to argue with what I had said it taught me…
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If he's still doing this he could be suffering from some complex PTSD from the pandemic. Have you ever tried to get him to see a professional?

I agree with him. There was excessive shaming from certain groups during the pandemic. There were also a lot of rules made by governments that were based in the information we had at the time.
In many places we did the best we could with the information we had at the time. In other places we stuck to old information to make our decisions and in other places it was complete virtue signalling.

Questioning and researching is never bad but he's taken it to a level that's causing more distress than knowledge. Has he ever had OCD tendencies or hyperfixation on other subjects?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:12 pm

If he's still doing this he could be suffering from some complex PTSD from the pandemic. Have you ever tried to get him to see a professional?

I agree with him. There was excessive shaming from certain groups during the pandemic. There were also a lot of rules made by governments that were based in the information we had at the time.
In many places we did the best we could with the information we had at the time. In other places we stuck to old information to make our decisions and in other places it was complete virtue signalling.

Questioning and researching is never bad but he's taken it to a level that's causing more distress than knowledge. Has he ever had OCD tendencies or hyperfixation on other subjects?
He will not see mental health professionals. He has a different measuring stick for needing help, as he grew up with a mother and aunt who had severe mental illness, so in his “normal”world — that is who needs mental health.

Yes, he has OCD tendencies, which is a blessing for work & productivity & even doting on your beautiful wife, lol. right? But then at times, like now, it’s a bit challenging. But I told him, I just needed a break, I think he will respect that, he tries to be a wonderful partner, it’s just I can tell he always wants to talk about, which in turn, makes me feel guilty, that I cannot reciprocate his needs.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:05 am

Is this related to his job or just a “hobby”? If it’s just a hobby, then maybe you can talk to him about how his anger about in this topic is affecting you and y’all’s relationship. See if he is willing to review and/or limit his consumption of this type of media, because it seems to be fueling his anger which isn’t good for anybody. Hopefully y’all can find some peace. Best wishes.
Mostly hobby, although he does manage all our retirement and investment accounts. I told him, that if we are fighting over commercials, we gotta avoid the topic for a while. He smirked and acquiesced, hopefully for at least a few days.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't feel anger, just sorrow for the kids. Social isolation did them no good and we that work with them are still seeing that. But I think we were stuck between a rock and a hard place. I also think the economy we have now isn't Biden's fault but in part because of the pandemic. I don't know if he could do more to fix it or not.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:11 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:01 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:03 pm

“ Get this vaccine, it doesn’t matter if you think enough testing has been done, either get it or lose your job, your ability to utilize the public works you pay taxes for and the ability to shop for food without a computer. If you don’t have a computer/ can’t afford internet- go die alone. And also, no more medical privacy allowed, show your vaccine card or explain your allergies every time you are in public”
Where did you experience those things?
It was happening all over America…
You had to show your vaccine card to get into restaurants, movie theaters, grocery stores, any business …

All kinds of lawyers coming on tv outlining why you don’t have a right to medical privacy when “a private business” is involved…

I know, I know… too long has gone by. Most people forget pretty quickly.
No not that we forgotten but some of us didn't have to do those things. Desantis was against having businesses require the vaccines. He got into a fight with cruise lines over it. So in Florida I didn't need to show the card. I don't think I showed it once although I took a picture of it on my phone. He also wanted to reopen relatively quickly. Schools reopened in the fall. In retrospect I think it better schools did reopen instead of going virtual. As far as businesses requiring proof of the vaccine Idk the legality. You're showing them you're vaccinated so I don't think HIPAA applied. I understood why certain ones like cruise ships wanted people to be vaccinated. I think one should have the flu vaccine to go on a cruise also. You're in a situation where a disease can be quickly spread. I'm not for mandatory vaccines except for public schools but I see both sides. Businesses want to protect their clients and employees. People want to decide for themselves what to put in their bodies. That's why I'm angry that Desantis is okay with people deciding on vaccines but not pro-choice. That's an argument for another day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic