COVID in hindsight!

Anonymous 2

Unread post

I don't think it was handled well. Too much didn't make sense. I mean some things did like wearing masks and canceling crowded events like concerts but other things just didn't.
For instance my kids and I used to go over to the river and just hang out. We were outdoors and nobody was near us at all. Then they closed the river because of covid. Why??
Once things opened back up we went camping and there were big signs in the bathrooms about proper hand washing and then no soap or hand sanitizer and signs on the sinks that the water was turned off due to drought conditions. So how were we supposed to wash our hands? We had to bring our own soap and use the water faucet outside that had so much water pressure we got soaked everytime we used it.
I was all for a vaccine being available for those who wished to take it. But there were sites my husband couldn't work at because he wasn't vaccinated. He wasn't ever around people at these sites he was inside a machine room that had an outdoor entrance and he was the only one in there. So why did he need the vaccine? Especially once it came out that it didn't prevent spread just reduced severity.
I feel like a lot of things were done just to appear like they were trying. Like the plexiglass in stores between us and the cashier. And the one way arrows in grocery stores. As a family who homeschools and with dh being an essential worker it didn't hit us as bad as a lot of people but not being able to even go to outdoor public spaces was terrible. I couldn't take my autistic kid out because he didn't understand masks and that was a huge social setback for him.
I'm not angry but a lot of it was ridiculous.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hindsight is a relative thing. Is there something in particular?

Covid was a “new” virus. People have died from it. Others had pre-existing medical conditions exacerbated and have longer term complications from it. It was rapidly spreading and quickly mutating. Mutation predictions arent infallible. We still can’t be certain that if we did one thing or another differently that it would have been better or worse.

No im not upset and as far as I’m aware, neither are any of my loved ones. To be fair though, it really didn’t impact my household or the households of family close by as much as it did others.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

In hindsight? Before we had effective vaccines, masking and social distancing were all the weapons we had! People who whined about wearing masks were/are idiots. And no, I don't think it should be up to anyone to decide to vax or not. Because it isn't just YOU whose life is at stake-it's mine and my friends and everyone around you. If you don't want a vaccine then stay home. If you want to rejoin society then get a vaccine.

It's total BS that you are losing freedom. In fact, the Constitution says a state has the right to use whatever it takes to prevent the spread of deadly disease. In previous generations, to prevent the spread of, say, smallpox, the county sheriff could NAIL YOUR DOOR SHUT to keep you from infecting others. Anti-vax morons are lucky it didn't get to that point during COVID.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:01 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:03 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:11 pm

Define bodily autonomy. I believe that the choice to vaccinate should be up to the individual in consult with their doctor. I believe that being told to wear a mask is the same thing as being told to wear a shirt or shoes.
“ Get this vaccine, it doesn’t matter if you think enough testing has been done, either get it or lose your job, your ability to utilize the public works you pay taxes for and the ability to shop for food without a computer. If you don’t have a computer/ can’t afford internet- go die alone. And also, no more medical privacy allowed, show your vaccine card or explain your allergies every time you are in public”
Where did you experience those things?
It was happening all over America…
You had to show your vaccine card to get into restaurants, movie theaters, grocery stores, any business …

All kinds of lawyers coming on tv outlining why you don’t have a right to medical privacy when “a private business” is involved…

I know, I know… too long has gone by. Most people forget pretty quickly.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:16 pm

Define bodily autonomy. I believe that the choice to vaccinate should be up to the individual in consult with their doctor. I believe that being told to wear a mask is the same thing as being told to wear a shirt or shoes.
“ Get this vaccine, it doesn’t matter if you think enough testing has been done, either get it or lose your job, your ability to utilize the public works you pay taxes for and the ability to shop for food without a computer. If you don’t have a computer/ can’t afford internet- go die alone. And also, no more medical privacy allowed, show your vaccine card or explain your allergies every time you are in public”
Were there grocery stores that required proof of vaccine? I don't remember that. I just remember stores requiring masks. And I know different experiences were had in different states but I can't remember one single time that I was required to show my vaccine card. I always had it but I never had to show it to anyone.

To be clear, I believe that being forced to get a vaccine and being forced to wear a mask are very different things. For conversation purposes the two should not be muddled together.
Yes…

There were even city mandates that you had to wear a mask EXCEPT if you’ve been vaccinated… like that made sense. Sure, there’s plenty of variants but if you’ve been vaccinated against one of them, it doesn’t matter if you get one of the variants you haven’t been vaccinated against, we don’t care about your germs anymore…

It was all just illogical panic ruling the day …

If a business or institution is requiring that everyone — including staff — be fully vaccinated before entering, then no one in that place needs to wear a mask,” said acting Health Commissioner Cheryl Bettigole in a news conference on Wednesday. “So, there is an exemption for places with a vaccine mandate.”

https://www.inquirer.com/philly-tips/va ... 10811.html

“It’s quite clear that restaurants, airlines, cruise ships, your local café, your local university, [or] the school that you may choose to send your child to are all within their legal bounds in asking you to demonstrate that you or your child has been vaccinated,” he says.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:56 pm

I didn't agree with any of that. A person has the right to decide what is put INTO their body.
Sadly though, a lot of people did agree…

Even in a few replies up from this one: “ And no, I don't think it should be up to anyone to decide to vax or not. Because it isn't just YOU whose life is at stake-it's mine“

There were just way too many people that started thinking “I truly believe I’m smarter than you, therefore I should get some control over your body”
Anonymous 2

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:31 pm In hindsight? Before we had effective vaccines, masking and social distancing were all the weapons we had! People who whined about wearing masks were/are idiots. And no, I don't think it should be up to anyone to decide to vax or not. Because it isn't just YOU whose life is at stake-it's mine and my friends and everyone around you. If you don't want a vaccine then stay home. If you want to rejoin society then get a vaccine.

It's total BS that you are losing freedom. In fact, the Constitution says a state has the right to use whatever it takes to prevent the spread of deadly disease. In previous generations, to prevent the spread of, say, smallpox, the county sheriff could NAIL YOUR DOOR SHUT to keep you from infecting others. Anti-vax morons are lucky it didn't get to that point during COVID.
Your life is the most important thing and everyone should vaccinate because you want them to. Got it. My family has so many terrible reactions from vaccines my kids doctors won't let them get them but they didn't qualify for a medical exemption for school because they would have to have such a severe reaction they were hospitalized or almost died. That's not a risk myself or their doctors are willing to take. But apparently you're willing to make them take that risk because you matter more.
And covid will never be eradicated through vaccines even if every person in the world got the vaccine it will still exist.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:38 pm

I didn't agree with any of that. A person has the right to decide what is put INTO their body.

Even in a few replies up from this one: “ And no, I don't think it should be up to anyone to decide to vax or not. Because it isn't just YOU whose life is at stake-it's mine“

There were just way too many people that started thinking “I truly believe I’m smarter than you, therefore I should get some control over your body”
That’s not new nor has it stopped. Anti-abortion laws, physician assisted deaths, anti gender identity treatment laws, and if we want to only look at what a person chooses to put into their body that list greatly expands.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:56 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:38 pm

That’s not new nor has it stopped. Anti-abortion laws, physician assisted deaths, anti gender identity treatment laws, and if we want to only look at what a person chooses to put into their body that list greatly expands.
Anti abortion laws shouldn’t exist- people should be allowed to make the decisions that govern their body

Doctor assisted suicide should exist- people should be allowed to make the decisions that govern their body

Anti gender identity treatments should exist- people should be allowed to make the decisions that govern their body.

Everyone should be allowed to decide what is injected into their body -people should be allowed to make the decisions that govern their body
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:11 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:01 pm

Where did you experience those things?
It was happening all over America…
You had to show your vaccine card to get into restaurants, movie theaters, grocery stores, any business …

All kinds of lawyers coming on tv outlining why you don’t have a right to medical privacy when “a private business” is involved…

I know, I know… too long has gone by. Most people forget pretty quickly.
Or you could have worn a mask. I mean there was a CHOICE to make. Vaccinate, or wear a mask in public during the pandemic. No one HAD to get the vaccine.....Hell my sister STILL doesn't have a Covid Vaccine. However there were natural consequences for the CHOICE each person made and some of those resulted in not being able to go to the movies, or restaurants, but on the flip side those establishments became more accommodating. Movies were able to be rented from home...many restaurants either began offering delivery or partnered with a delivery service like Door Dash, etc. Sure they are slightly more expensive but you're paying for the convenience. Talk about making a mountain out of a an anthill and choosing THAT as the hill you die on. For fucks sake, have some dignity.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic