COVID in hindsight!

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Do feel any of you OR your loved ones feel angry or upset in hindsight after the pandemic?

My husband is obsessed with “Monday morning quarterbacking” the media, the public health officials, the drug companies, and politician and their handling of COVID. He watches CNBC every AM, which is mostly the economic aftermath, which seems to fuel his fire. He brings it up multiple times a week and accuses me of gaslighting him any time I tell him he is over-reacting and being dramatic. He feels he was lied to, and is really angry.

I believe it would help him, if I could muster being equally angry and upset — and guys, I cannot. The media is biased. Medicine is a long game, research changes our practices all the time. And politicians, seriously, if I got upset everytime they are paid to make choices, well, is that not the majority policy items and elections? Come on…in general, I think the policy makers did the best they could with the information they had. I think now, with more information, mistakes were made, but whatcha going do? Why be angry?

Today we got in the most ridiculous fight over the Travis Kelse 2 for 1 immunization commercial. I love the husband so much, but i do not understand him right now, which is probably fueling his fire…
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My husband feels the same way…

I don’t blame him…

It was like a giant social experiment and what we learned is that people can be made to feel as though taking freedoms away from the public is just.
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

The only thing I still feel angry about in hindsight is instead of drawing our community together against the shared enemy of Covid, it ripped it apart. So much has happened in my life since Covid but that is basically what I remember and I'm still pissed off about it. It definitely taught me who I could count on and who I couldn't, that's for sure.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:01 pm My husband feels the same way…

I don’t blame him…

It was like a giant social experiment and what we learned is that people can be made to feel as though taking freedoms away from the public is just.
It's funny...what I learned is that human beings are more selfish than I ever believed possible and will fight to have tiny freedoms at the expense of other people's lives. Social responsibility is a concept that's as dead as the Dodo and it was replaced by the idea of personal freedom. "it won't kill me so f**k every person it could kill".
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't really feel anger about any of it.

I feel a sense of loss. We knew a few people who passed away from COVID. Not a lot. I believe my father had long COVID and that contributed to his death. But the sense of loss comes mostly from how it affected our little family directly. There were so many things during those years that my kids missed out on, like 8th grade dance, my son's first year in middle school. The kids got super behind in school and schools changed radically after. The quality of education was suffering before COVID and now it is deplorable. If my kids weren't so close to graduating, if they had been in elementary school when all of this started, I probably would have pulled them out and home schooled them. My kids have not received the same quality education that I did and it's sad. Our business suffered tremendously, too.

I feel a sense of hopelessness and helplessness that we are living in 2024 and people still do not believe that germs are a thing and that wearing a mask is such a huge inconvenience and taking away their rights. It's absolutely unbelievable to me how ignorant and selfish people are. I guess it makes me feel hopeless and helpless because I realize now that the human race will always be this way.

I saw a TikTok video this morning about how people all over the world, but especially Americans, are drinking less alcohol. Like, a LOT less alcohol. He started by saying that we are doing this because we are getting smarter. There is more information available to us and we are making use of it. So, we're getting smarter but we're not getting better, necessarily.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The only thing that upsets me is how badly out governments handled the whole thing from the start. Instead of shutting shit down and locking down the continent we put commerce ahead of public safety. All the lockdown measures did a little (in Canada, in the United States you guys were a hot mess) but could have done so much more if our leader has grown a set of balls.

It did teach me a lot about the people in my life, though. I broke ties with many friends, made new, better friends and learned who I could actually count on.

The virus could have caused us to band together against a common enemy bit instead it caused us to fight amongst ourselves. I used to believe in the innate goodness of the human race, I don't believe that anymore. It turned me into a much bigger activist. That could be a good thing.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:29 pm

I don’t blame him…

It's funny...what I learned is that human beings are more selfish than I ever believed possible and will fight to have tiny freedoms at the expense of other people's lives. Social responsibility is a concept that's as dead as the Dodo and it was replaced by the idea of personal freedom. "it won't kill me so f**k every person it could kill".
Ok. Then I’ll guess I’ll mark you down as one of the ones that thought bodily autonomy was not as important as “the greater good”
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:56 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:29 pm

I don’t blame him…

Ok. Then I’ll guess I’ll mark you down as one of the ones that thought bodily autonomy was not as important as “the greater good”
Define bodily autonomy. I believe that the choice to vaccinate should be up to the individual in consult with their doctor. I believe that being told to wear a mask is the same thing as being told to wear a shirt or shoes.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

All I feel is that it exposed people for being completely selfish or stupid. I mean, I knew the majority of the population was kind of dumb, I just didn't realize how F***ing dumb....and the worst part is they don't realize it. It also made me astutely aware of how many people don't practice basic hygiene. People are F***ing nasty.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:26 pm All I feel is that it exposed people for being completely selfish or stupid. I mean, I knew the majority of the population was kind of dumb, I just didn't realize how F***ing dumb....and the worst part is they don't realize it. It also made me astutely aware of how many people don't practice basic hygiene. People are F***ing nasty.
I wondered this as well. I mean the cleaning aisle's were empty, hand soap was impossible to get. I felt like yelling "what in the world were you guys using prior to this." I had an assortment of cleaning products, and enough hand soap to stock a small country (thank you bath and body semi-annual sale). It seemed like a lot of people did not purchase these products till that day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic