I want to become Catholic.

Anonymous 1

I know it is a huge change, and I know my family won’t understand, but I still want to do it.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Go for it! I say this as an atheist. If you feel the need to be part of a community and are driven to the Catholic church, please pursue it. Community is important. Shared beliefs is important. I would even say that communal readings, song, and liturgy is important. The beauty is, it's easy to join, lol. Google Catholic churches in your area and go to a service. Wednesday mass tends not to be crowded which might give you a chance to ease in. You don't have to participate but just be present.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Why won’t they understand? Are you already baptized? The conversion process is a little different if you are already baptized vs unbaptized. Either way you’ll have almost a year since Lent and Easter just recently passed for this year.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:14 pm I know it is a huge change, and I know my family won’t understand, but I still want to do it.
Out of interest, what draws you towards it?

If your children think that you might be going to pressure them over things like weddings and having god parents for your grandchildren, I could understand them being afraid. How much do they know about religion, and what are their beliefs?
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Right now, the Catholic Church has a hard time even finding people who want to become priests. Their discrimination against women and refusing to allow priests to marry are two reasons why my husband stopped studying to become a priest after five years. If you can stand their hypocrisy regarding women go right ahead.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Religious choices, or lack thereof, are personal and entirely up to each of us.

Go with what your heart is telling you and don't worry about anyone or anything else.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Can I ask what you'd be changing from? I'm curious what kind of huge change you are talking about.

I converted to Catholicism in my early 20's. I had been baptised Presbyterian but didn't really practice much throughout my childhood. DH and I were practicing Catholics until a couple years ago when we just kind of fell out of the practice. I'll blame Covid for disrupting our routine ;)

Even within the Catholic Church, different churches do things a bit different. Some are more "old school" and some are more "modern". If there is more than one church relatively close to you don't be afraid to shop around and find the right fit for you.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

If you want to become Catholic the first step is to find a Catholic church to attend and start going. That's all it really doesn't need an announcement.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I hope it brings you comfort and peace. And once your family realizes it is beneficial for, maybe they will be more understanding?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic