Ole Miss opens conduct investigation following protest confrontation

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

"Videos of the event circulated online, with many noting that the pro-Palestinian demonstrators appeared to be a multiracial group but were surrounded by a mostly white group of counterprotesters taunting them.

One confrontation drew particular offense, in which a Black female graduate student on the protest side of a barricade went up to two young men to record the group as they yelled in her direction.

In the corner of one widely shared video, a man can be seen jumping up and down and appearing to make a noise to imitate an ape at the woman."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/ole ... rcna150764
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Ole Miss has tried to separate themselves from their racist history without cancel culture forcing them to do it but their past still attracts trash at events like this. I'm surprised the KKK isn't there.

As I have said before, I can't tell Jews who to consider allies but a lot of these Republicans are exploiting this for political clout, just like the far left did Black people. You (general) cant be against antisemitism and but condone racism at the same time.
Della
Princess
Princess

Ole Miss fraternity expels member who appeared to make ape-like sounds toward Black protester
“The racist actions in the video were ... antithetical” to the fraternity’s values, Phi Delta Theta said of its member, who appeared to be targeting the woman in a video that has gone viral.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/fra ... rcna150860
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — "A Republican congressman on Monday backtracked on some of his praise for a campus conflict that included a man who made monkey noises and gestures at a Black student who was protesting the Israel-Hamas war.

Rep. Mike Collins of Georgia said he understands and respects feedback about one person during the protest at the University of Mississippi.

“If that person is found to have treated another human being improperly because of their race, they should be punished appropriately, and will hopefully seek forgiveness,” Collins wrote on the social media site X. “Frankly, I did not believe that to be the focal point of the video shared at the time, but I recognize that there certainly seems to be some potentially inappropriate behavior that none of us should seek to glorify.”

https://apnews.com/article/campus-prote ... 7bbec0cd03
306/232

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

He absolutely should be expelled, he’s a disgrace to the school’s name…

I’m also going to hope that those students who broke all the windows out at Royce hall and trashed the insides/ spray painted the whole place will be expelled too…
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:17 pm JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — "A Republican congressman on Monday backtracked on some of his praise for a campus conflict that included a man who made monkey noises and gestures at a Black student who was protesting the Israel-Hamas war.

Rep. Mike Collins of Georgia said he understands and respects feedback about one person during the protest at the University of Mississippi.

“If that person is found to have treated another human being improperly because of their race, they should be punished appropriately, and will hopefully seek forgiveness,” Collins wrote on the social media site X. “Frankly, I did not believe that to be the focal point of the video shared at the time, but I recognize that there certainly seems to be some potentially inappropriate behavior that none of us should seek to glorify.”

https://apnews.com/article/campus-prote ... 7bbec0cd03

He should be expelled too.

"Collins frequently posts memes on social media, jokingly declaring that "Press Releases are out, memes are in."[26] In March 2024, Collins replied "Never was a second thought" to an antisemitic post on X by user "Garbage Human", who was implicitly disparaging Washington Post journalist Maura Judkis for being Jewish. "Garbage Human" later confirmed they were alluding to Judkis' religion. Esther Panitch, the only Jewish member of the Georgia State Legislature, criticized Collins, saying "It’s one thing to mistakenly respond to an antisemitic account. It’s another thing to double down on it and gaslight us like it never happened.” Collins denied his post on X was antisemitic, stating he had called Judkis a "garbage human" because she had said the United States was "built on stolen land."[27][28][29][30]

In April 2024, amidst the ongoing pro-Palestinian protests on university campuses, Collins tweeted, "Not sure what y'all are doing up north, but we don't give them the time to encamp. Tazers set to stun!" Collins' post on X/Twitter was accompanied by a one-minute-17-second video clip depicting a series of scenes from the police crackdown on protesters at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, including a scene in which a Black man is seen lying on the ground in handcuffs while a Georgia State Patrol officer applies a taser to his leg and fires it. Other scenes in the video showed police struggling with protesters, protesters in handcuffs seated near an Atlanta Police prisoner transport van, and footage where the sound of police firing rubber bullets can be heard.[31][32] In May 2024, Collins approvingly shared footage of counter-protesters at the University of Mississippi heckling pro-Palestinian protesters. Collins praised the counter-protesters, posting “Ole Miss taking care of business." The footage showed a white student engaging in racist mockery of a pro-Palestinian black student by imitating a monkey. The video also showed the counter-protesters chanting "Lock her up!" at the pro-Palestinian student.[33][34][35"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Collins_(politician)
306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic