What to do if your kids try to steal all of your joy?

Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:40 pm I have three teenagers, every time I am happy about anything, or laugh at anything, or talk about anything I’m excited to do they either make fun of it, tell me why it’s stupid, or tell me why I shouldn’t do it. And these are not things that would be annoying to anyone else other than my kids. If I like a tv show, like a song, have a hobby, laugh at a stupid meme on the internet, anything at all they put down if they see I’m getting happy about it.
They probably see that sort of behaviour at school, especially in groups.

To start off, I'd talk about it one to one with each of them in turn.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Pjmm wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:27 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:53 pm
SallyMae wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:45 pm That was glib. I am sorry this is happening to you. I'm pretty sure I'd keep my enjoyment to myself, and dismiss their very uninformed opinions.
No, don’t worry , I laughed lol. I thinks that’s just what I’m going to do from now on. I watch a lot of British tv shows and they constantly make fun of me for it. I’m just going to stop watching the shows around them.
See I’d watch the British shows just to annoy them lol. Tell them if they interrupt the show to tease you that you’re happy to rewind and start the show over again. I’d stream it continually until they stopped. They’ll either get the point or go away.
Let's see. A Dr Who marathon, followed by all the python films, then some Red Dwarf, maybe an interlude of John Oliver, vintage Call My Bluff, have a live stream of Radio 4 on in the car continuously, Black Adder and the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, maybe audio book versions of the Terry Pratchett discworld novels...
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My kids were very unpleasant to be around for a few years between ages 12-14ish. Thankfully, they have all grown out of their surliness. One thing that helped me was ignoring them and pointing out when they were being unkind or had hurt my feelings. I would say it in a very nonchalant way, making sure they knew they weren't going to get to me but that their behavior was wrong. Don't get upset or take it personally, it's just a phase some teenagers go through. They'll realize they are wrong. I also just started going on about my own life, doing less for them, going out more.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm not a watcher, but my kids really want me to watch things they like. They are after me all day to check out this video, this show, this game, this youtube, this instagram, listen to this song they found. I have to tell them "later!" about half the time and I don't always follow up. Plus, some of the stuff they like is definitely not for me, and I don't always see the humor.

But, sharing media interests is one of the big things we do together. I should appreciate it more, try harder.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My kids do that to a certain extent, like tell me how Facebook memes are old and stupid, or ask "Are you watching your silly space show again?" (Star Trek Original Series). But it doesn't bother me and I give it right back. They compilations of videos and such that are completely funny to them but just gives me this blank puzzled look on my face. I truly don't understand the humor of their generation. So I will do the same thing and ask "This is funny to you???"

For us it's all in good fun. No one takes offense to any of it or feels like their joy is being stolen or put down. But family dynamics are very individual and what's perfectly acceptable in one family won't be in another. If it genuinely bothers you then you should say something and they should alter their behavior without you having to alter your viewing habits.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:52 am
Pjmm wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:27 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:53 pm

No, don’t worry , I laughed lol. I thinks that’s just what I’m going to do from now on. I watch a lot of British tv shows and they constantly make fun of me for it. I’m just going to stop watching the shows around them.
See I’d watch the British shows just to annoy them lol. Tell them if they interrupt the show to tease you that you’re happy to rewind and start the show over again. I’d stream it continually until they stopped. They’ll either get the point or go away.
Let's see. A Dr Who marathon, followed by all the python films, then some Red Dwarf, maybe an interlude of John Oliver, vintage Call My Bluff, have a live stream of Radio 4 on in the car continuously, Black Adder and the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, maybe audio book versions of the Terry Pratchett discworld novels...
I used to love "Are you being Served?" if that's still on. :D
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:52 am Let's see. A Dr Who marathon, followed by all the python films, then some Red Dwarf, maybe an interlude of John Oliver, vintage Call My Bluff, have a live stream of Radio 4 on in the car continuously, Black Adder and the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, maybe audio book versions of the Terry Pratchett discworld novels...

This will always be my favorite Hitch Hiker's:

I see these characters when I re-read the books, lol.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

When they tell you something you enjoy is stupid, respond back with “well, good thing I’m not making you do it too”, when they tell you why you shouldn’t do something respond back with “well good thing I’m not a child and you are my parent” and when they make fun of something tell them “your making fun of it so it must be entertaining”. Don’t stop watching your shows when they are around, binge watch them. They have bedrooms they could go to or, I’m assuming, a yard.

You have a few choices in handling this, let it get to you and allow them to think they can demean their mother. Let it not get to you and show them that it doesn’t bother you. Or teach them by correcting their behavior every time they do it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:59 pm
Aletheia wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:52 am Let's see. A Dr Who marathon, followed by all the python films, then some Red Dwarf, maybe an interlude of John Oliver, vintage Call My Bluff, have a live stream of Radio 4 on in the car continuously, Black Adder and the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, maybe audio book versions of the Terry Pratchett discworld novels...

This will always be my favorite Hitch Hiker's:

I see these characters when I re-read the books, lol.
I love hitchhikers guide! I’ve even got my youngest to love it too even though the older teenagers hate it lol. I love father brown, and any Agatha Christie movie, all the Dr Who’s. The teenagers just think everything is “lame”.
I think it was really starting to get to me but you’re right, who cares if they like it or not, I’m not making anyone watch it, they just come into the room as I’m watching. They have their own tvs in their rooms, watch whatever you want in there, I want to watch this.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:19 pm I love father brown, and any Agatha Christie movie
Did you ever get to see Derek Jacobi in the British televisation of the Brother Cadfael mysteries?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic