Is this ever not a thing?

Anonymous 1

This is not important and not even that big of an issue but do your parents ever stop treating you like a clueless child? I'm 41 years old and she still reminds me to do stuff that I already and automatically do and have done ever since I moved out at age 17.

Does she really not have faith in me? Or is she just bored and has nothing to talk about?
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

I get it. I'm 57 and my 84 year old Mom will still remind me of how wrong she thinks I can be sometimes.

I think that for some Moms, they do this to remind themselves that they still matter and that they have important things to say.
just an old coot 😉🌵
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Wouldn’t know
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:26 am This is not important and not even that big of an issue but do your parents ever stop treating you like a clueless child? I'm 41 years old and she still reminds me to do stuff that I already and automatically do and have done ever since I moved out at age 17.

Does she really not have faith in me? Or is she just bored and has nothing to talk about?
Nope. I just turned 43 and my dad still treats me like the idiot he thinks I am.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

For us it happened eventually. DH is the youngest of 3 and I am the youngest of 2. When DH and I first got married in our 20's his parents seemed to tell us how to do everything. When we bought our first house, when we bought our first car, etc, etc. They seemed to give us a lot more unsolicited advice than they gave his two older brothers and their spouses. And we chalked it up to because we're "the babies".

Somewhere along the way, and I'm not exactly sure where, it all stopped. They don't give us advice anymore. Maybe it's because we don't have anymore of those "firsts". Maybe it's because we're all that much older. Maybe it's because DH and I moved 1700 miles away 8 years ago. I don't know. We're just glad they don't do it anymore.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

I'm no contact with mine but she did that all the time before I stopped talking to her. And constantly tried to tell me how to live my life even when I asked her to stop.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

My mom is one of those who believe if you're not doing it EXACTLY as she's doing it, you're doing it wrong.

It absolutely drives her nuts that I don't live my life just like her.

She gave me an earful over some reproduction movie posters I bought myself for Christmas LOL. All because she "would never blow her money on something so stupid".
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Anonymous 2

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 pm My mom is one of those who believe if you're not doing it EXACTLY as she's doing it, you're doing it wrong.

It absolutely drives her nuts that I don't live my life just like her.

She gave me an earful over some reproduction movie posters I bought myself for Christmas LOL. All because she "would never blow her money on something so stupid".
Sounds just like my dad. Ironically he yelled at my mom that she couldn't talk to me because I needed to figure things out on my own when I was first married and moved out. 6 months no contact he said. Thankfully she didn't listen because I was like mom who do I call to get electricity? She wouldn't do it for me and she didn't pay it she just gave me a direction. He was so mad.
But then he would come dig through my trash cans for receipts and tell me exactly why I was wrong for spending that money.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Idk my mom hasn’t ever done that. She’ll give me advice if I am asking for it or she lets me vent when I need to without expressing criticism.
Anonymous 3

Mine is super paranoid. I was talking to her on the phone and mentioned I had just gotten back from the gas station and she's like, "You shouldn't go out at night." I'm like...shit....it's only EIGHT o'clock!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic