Don't understand these results

Anonymous 1

My son has been insisting for a while that he has ADHD. We decided to start the evaluation process with his school. We decided to evaluate for basically everything- intellectual disability, emotional disturbance, ADHD, autism, dyslexia, and dysgraphia. They sent me the final report and we had the first ARD yesterday. According to the report, he has Autism, ADHD, dyslexia, and Dysgraphia. He has a very high IQ, especially in non verbal processing. Based on what I'm reading in the report, the only reason they think he has dyslexia is his spelling, which they think is also related to the dysgraphia. The only reason they think he has Autism is because he has low self esteem and doesn't particularly like to interact with strangers. They said that his autism is not having an impact on his education or his ability to hold a job, etc. So, they are recognizing it but he doesn't qualify for services in that area. The only accommodations will be reminders to stay on task, check for understanding, reteach as needed, 1 extra day to make up assignments, and use of a computer to take notes rather than having to write everything by hand.

The diagnosis of autism REALLY threw me for a loop. When I google other signs and symptoms of autism, he doesn't have any of them. A coworker of mine said that the schools get more money if they have more students identified as having autism. Is that really true? And regardless, is the autism identification something I should be concerned about? Should I see a doctor?
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

I would definitely take him to his primary care doctor and bring those results with you.
just an old coot 😉🌵
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

I don't know if they get more money - probably. But if you're that concerned, take him to a qualified psychiatrist who can give him the proper testing. A lot of insurances will cover the testing. Remember that Autism is a spectrum and while he doesn't fit the Google signs and symptoms, doesn't really mean squat. Do you have access to a DSM-5? THOSE are the guidelines along with several tests.
Good luck.
Anonymous 2

They get more money because the children need specialized education. Educating these children is more expensive.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

The school did its due diligence. A diagnosis of autism is not always disabling. He may fall on the spectrum of low to no suppose needed.

Have his pediatrician refer you to a developmental pediatrician and a neuro developmental psychologist. Both can test for autism, adhd, etc. Additionally, they can guide you and write a letter of medical necessity for services and support/therapy at school if necessary.
Anonymous 1

jas wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:34 pm I don't know if they get more money - probably. But if you're that concerned, take him to a qualified psychiatrist who can give him the proper testing. A lot of insurances will cover the testing. Remember that Autism is a spectrum and while he doesn't fit the Google signs and symptoms, doesn't really mean squat. Do you have access to a DSM-5? THOSE are the guidelines along with several tests.
Good luck.
I don't but I found this from the CDC referencing the DSM 5, none of that describes him.

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/hcp-dsm.html
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Did they actually say he “has these” or screening suggested?

https://www.understood.org/en/articles/ ... -diagnosis
Anonymous 1

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:05 pm They get more money because the children need specialized education. Educating these children is more expensive.
That makes complete sense. I think my co worker was suggesting that they are identifying people as autistic who aren't really so that they can get more money without actually having to do anything special for those students. I have no qualms about autism if he does have it, I'm just having trouble understanding why they think he has it.

He's very short for his age and he has acne, that's where the self esteem issues come from.
Anonymous 1

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:34 pm Did they actually say he “has these” or screening suggested?

https://www.understood.org/en/articles/ ... -diagnosis
There are a few places where the report reads like, "Bryan's autism does not impact his behavior and social skills..."

There is also a portion with check boxes and they have checked, "Meets criteria for the following disability based on evaluation data," "Autism," and "Specific learning disability," "Primary Disabiilty- Autism"

**I changed his name, of course.

I'll read that article, thank you.
Anonymous 1

cgd5112 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:13 pm The school did its due diligence. A diagnosis of autism is not always disabling. He may fall on the spectrum of low to no suppose needed.

Have his pediatrician refer you to a developmental pediatrician and a neuro developmental psychologist. Both can test for autism, adhd, etc. Additionally, they can guide you and write a letter of medical necessity for services and support/therapy at school if necessary.
Ok, I will do that. Thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic