Lawmakers in several US states propose legislation to allow spiritual chaplains in public schools

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:14 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:09 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:09 pm

Are you a white conservative evangelical Christian?
Yep.

Still don’t know who he is…
https://www.google.com/search?q=john+ma ... ent=safari
Look at that! I’ve learned who he is, and he’s still not influencing me.

Maybe most Christians are like that too…

Didn’t you say you were a Christian? Does he influence you?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:05 pm
Della wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:02 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:17 pm

You might need an entire semester to get a grasp on the relationship between mental health and spiritual beliefs… you ready?
https://academic.oup.com/book/35499/cha ... m=fulltext

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9341235/
Why Muslims?
Why not?

We’re talking about how religion can benefit mental health…
We are discussing highly influential conservative evangelical pastors. The Christian kind.

https://www.wtcsb.org/the-stigma-around ... ally%20ill.

https://biblicalcounselingcenter.org/wh ... struggles/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:19 pm

Yep.

How many people are in your congregation?
306/232

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:41 pm

Why? Would it be relevant to my question to Jules about whether or not she is influenced by him? Or are you just trying to find out specifics about me?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:54 pm

Why? Would it be relevant to my question to Jules about whether or not she is influenced by him? Or are you just trying to find out specifics about me?
I'm wondering if it's a mega church.
306/232

mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yep.

Most Christians get their theological beliefs from somewhere even if they don't know the names of the theologians, Bible scholars, or other sources that it stems from. Whether or not you or I follow him doesn’t change the fact that he’s had a huge influence on the evangelical culture that I live in and millions of other around the country. I know tons of people who spout similar things to what he has stated. A large portion of the people in my area absolutely do follow him, and I’m willing to bet tons of Christians in Texas and other conservative areas do as well in some form or fashion. I also know Christians who don’t believe that. I was never disputing that. I’m saying I’m not willing to take the chance that my kid who is AuDHD is told or made to believe his anxiety is a religious failing on his part or that he is demon possessed (I’ve seen and heard that as well). If I wanted that I’d go to the KJV only Baptist church or the non denominational charismatic church down the road.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:03 pm

Most Christians get their theological beliefs from somewhere even if they don't know the names of the theologians, Bible scholars, or other sources that it stems from. Whether or not you or I follow him doesn’t change the fact that he’s had a huge influence on the evangelical culture that I live in and millions of other around the country. I know tons of people who spout similar things to what he has stated. A large portion of the people in my area absolutely do follow him, and I’m willing to bet tons of Christians in Texas and other conservative areas do as well in some form or fashion. I also know Christians who don’t believe that. I was never disputing that. I’m saying I’m not willing to take the chance that my kid who is AuDHD is told or made to believe his anxiety is a religious failing on his part or that he is demon possessed (I’ve seen and heard that as well). If I wanted that I’d go to the KJV only Baptist church or the non denominational charismatic church down the road.
Then it’s a good thing that “with parental permission” would be attached.

You would never have to give permission.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:56 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:54 pm

I'm wondering if it's a mega church.
I’m Presbyterian, so no…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m not sure that the issue is just with evangelical Christian’s but rather a conservative issue. Sure, there is a certain ideology of children being in the likeness of God and perfect but this transcends different religious sects and sometimes even Nationalism comes into play.

My son was diagnosed in the US with ASD at age 4 and at the time we were living in a Catholic conservative Eastern European country where I was told not only by teachers but by the BOE, “we don’t have Autism in our country”. Recommendation was to take away American tv (we didn’t have a tv set) and/or to send him to a residential school for problem kids - you know, the kids with Autism, Down, and any other neurological issue that doesn’t know country boundaries.

There is Christian dogma that preaches that God doesn’t make mistakes as well as some Nationalistic pride of there are no weak Americans. We see this with SNs kids as well as kids within the LGBTQ community. Gotta dispel this myth before having people who believe in it counseling our kids.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:45 pm I’m not sure that the issue is just with evangelical Christian’s but rather a conservative issue. Sure, there is a certain ideology of children being in the likeness of God and perfect but this transcends different religious sects and sometimes even Nationalism comes into play.

My son was diagnosed in the US with ASD at age 4 and at the time we were living in a Catholic conservative Eastern European country where I was told not only by teachers but by the BOE, “we don’t have Autism in our country”. Recommendation was to take away American tv (we didn’t have a tv set) and/or to send him to a residential school for problem kids - you know, the kids with Autism, Down, and any other neurological issue that doesn’t know country boundaries.

There is Christian dogma that preaches that God doesn’t make mistakes as well as some Nationalistic pride of there are no weak Americans. We see this with SNs kids as well as kids within the LGBTQ community. Gotta dispel this myth before having people who believe in it counseling our kids.
You said that much better than I could have.
306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic