UPDATE from this morning. I’ve put in several calls and emails to various people. In the meantime…

Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don’t have any suggestions, I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. Good luck getting the results you deserve.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Are there special schools for a 20 year old man who is functionally 5 years old? I'd have thought that was sufficiently rare, that it would be outside the scope of what standard schools are suited to coping with.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:45 am Are there special schools for a 20 year old man who is functionally 5 years old? I'd have thought that was sufficiently rare, that it would be outside the scope of what standard schools are suited to coping with.
I never said he was in a special school. I said he was in a special needs class with a special needs teacher. Most standard schools provide education to special need children and adults. In every state in America, the educational system must be geared to handle students regardless of the scope of their abilities - as they should be. Special needs children and adults are very capable of learning and doing many things.

I’m not sure if your comment intentionally intends to insinuate education shouldn’t be available to everyone as I’m already very irritated with the situation - but it will never fail to astonish me how with so much information readily accessible, how so many lack the initiative to actually look things up. Regardless, I must confess that your comment is quite offensive. Most parents are protective of all their children; I am no exception.

Your kids have the right to an appropriate education regardless of age and ability - and so do mine.

Quite simply, if a teacher cannot teach in a special need environment, that teacher needs to move to a general education setting. After all, the majority of them had quite a bit of education to handle these issues.

I wouldn’t want to do it, and my son is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me. I didn’t choose the profession, but they did, am I wrong? I don’t think so.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:37 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:45 am Are there special schools for a 20 year old man who is functionally 5 years old? I'd have thought that was sufficiently rare, that it would be outside the scope of what standard schools are suited to coping with.
I never said he was in a special school. I said he was in a special needs class with a special needs teacher. Most standard schools provide education to special need children and adults. In every state in America, the educational system must be geared to handle students regardless of the scope of their abilities - as they should be. Special needs children and adults are very capable of learning and doing many things.

I’m not sure if your comment intentionally intends to insinuate education shouldn’t be available to everyone as I’m already very irritated with the situation - but it will never fail to astonish me how with so much information readily accessible, how so many lack the initiative to actually look things up. Regardless, I must confess that your comment is quite offensive. Most parents are protective of all their children; I am no exception.

Your kids have the right to an appropriate education regardless of age and ability - and so do mine.

Quite simply, if a teacher cannot teach in a special need environment, that teacher needs to move to a general education setting. After all, the majority of them had quite a bit of education to handle these issues.

I wouldn’t want to do it, and my son is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me. I didn’t choose the profession, but they did, am I wrong? I don’t think so.
That isn't how I read their comment. But, they worded it bluntly and I understand that it is an emotionally charged issue for you and why you were offended. I think they understand that he is in a public school and I don't think they are saying he isn't capable of education. I read it as they are saying that he should be getting a better education than what is being provided for him, so there might be a specialized school that is a better resource than what he is currently getting. Yes, the school should provide an education that matches the capacity of his abilities, legally they are required to be equipt for students of any needs.

Unfortunately that isn't how it always goes. Often in school districts with small special education programs, they don't have the staff to provide specialized learning for each one of their students complex needs and so for the students who have the most complex needs, it becomes daycare instead of a school. They're goal is to move him through instead of to help him perform to the best of his abilities. My son has a friend who has severe dyslexia. He also is in a smaller rural district outside of our city that has one special education teacher for the whole school. Ratio wise, they only need one teacher for their number of students. But because her students all have different needs, she physically isn't able to provide what they deserve. My son's friend is very intelligent and capable, but was illiterate in the fifth grade. They school was moving him through but not providing what he was capable of. So his parents worked with the school and a representative and the school paid for him to attend a private program meant for children with dyslexia after it was determined that they weren't sufficiently providing him with an education. My sister went through the same fight with the school for one of her children when the school claimed they couldn't give him what they needed, but as soon as she brought up that they would have to pay to send him to a private school, suddenly they came up with additional resources. You son deserves to learn any skill that he is capable of, so if they can't provide it, they need to provide him with a school that does. Whether the teacher is underperforming or overwhelmed and can not provide more than what she is currently giving, the school needs to figure it out.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:50 pm
mater-three wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:37 am

That isn't how I read their comment. But, they worded it bluntly and I understand that it is an emotionally charged issue for you and why you were offended. I think they understand that he is in a public school and I don't think they are saying he isn't capable of education. I read it as they are saying that he should be getting a better education than what is being provided for him, so there might be a specialized school that is a better resource than what he is currently getting. Yes, the school should provide an education that matches the capacity of his abilities, legally they are required to be equipt for students of any needs.

Unfortunately that isn't how it always goes. Often in school districts with small special education programs, they don't have the staff to provide specialized learning for each one of their students complex needs and so for the students who have the most complex needs, it becomes daycare instead of a school. They're goal is to move him through instead of to help him perform to the best of his abilities. My son has a friend who has severe dyslexia. He also is in a smaller rural district outside of our city that has one special education teacher for the whole school. Ratio wise, they only need one teacher for their number of students. But because her students all have different needs, she physically isn't able to provide what they deserve. My son's friend is very intelligent and capable, but was illiterate in the fifth grade. They school was moving him through but not providing what he was capable of. So his parents worked with the school and a representative and the school paid for him to attend a private program meant for children with dyslexia after it was determined that they weren't sufficiently providing him with an education. My sister went through the same fight with the school for one of her children when the school claimed they couldn't give him what they needed, but as soon as she brought up that they would have to pay to send him to a private school, suddenly they came up with additional resources. You son deserves to learn any skill that he is capable of, so if they can't provide it, they need to provide him with a school that does. Whether the teacher is underperforming or overwhelmed and can not provide more than what she is currently giving, the school needs to figure it out.

Maybe it is emotional for me - but the comment was not at all relevant to the question I asked, was it? If you can tell I’m upset, anyone can (especially since I said it several times in my post). If there was nothing constructive or supportive to say, then there is absolutely no reason to comment at all.

I’d say the same to anyone.

I live in a small town. There are no other schools. It’s not about a lack of resources. There are 8 kids in the class, a teacher, and three teacher aides. Some of those kids pull out to a gen Ed setting the majority of the day.

Beyond that, he does deserve it - but the school MUST provide services because it is the law.

I’ve done all the finding out that I’m going to do. It is her responsibility to provide the services, and if she doesn’t, well I’ll find someone who will make sure she does.

Have a good day.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Bump
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Wait - is she asking you not to bring him to school because of the rain?!If so, ... wtaf?!
I still think you should go in earlier , go to the principals's office, show the text and have them walk your son to his classroom.

Him needing frequent motor breaks and the teacher accommodating the motor breaks should not be contingent on weather.

Your responsibility is to get your son to school on time. It's their responsibility to educate your son and accommodate his needs. If the school is open, he has a right to be at school just like any other child.

I'm angry for you and your son, too! 😡
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m pretty sure she is not allowed to keep asking him not to come to school.

I’d contact a lawyer… not because I’m sue happy , but because this can be an endemic problem that negatively affects all special needs children that go to this school.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

To me, her text comes across as she just doesn’t want to bother and not about what’s best for him. What would his day have been like with the rainy day schedule and more crowding? I’m not asking as a devils advocate question or defending the text, but to get a better understanding. You are his mother, from your posts i don't think you use school to "pawn him off", you don't have the "everyone else just has to deal" attitude, and i don't think you'd do things you didn't believe was in his best interest.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If you've dealt with the Principal already about this then I'd go to the school board. That woman sounds like she has absolutely NO business working with special education students. I understand that many teachers are overworked and overwhelmed but sending a referral that would help his future isn't a huge ask or out of the scope of her job description.

That last text totally sounded like she just couldn't be bothered dealing with him in sub-optimum conditions. He deserves so much better than that.

I don't know where you are but in most States there are advocacy groups that would probably jump at a chance to help you with this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic