Ohio police release body camera video of officer shooting 15-year-old boy who family says had toy gun

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Police in Akron, Ohio, released video of an officer shooting a 15-year-old boy who was holding what his family says was a toy gun, video that shows the teenager was struck seconds after the officer ordered him to put his hands up last week.

Tavion Koonce-Williams was shot in the wrist on April 1 in Akron by Officer Ryan Westlake, a nine-year department veteran, who was responding to a call about a person pointing a gun at houses. Akron police said the gun Tavion had been carrying was a “facsimile.”

On Monday, the city of Akron released Westlake’s file, revealing a history of disciplinary actions and use-of-force incidents, as the police department released the video of the interaction “in an effort to be as transparent as possible.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-police- ... 02279.html
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

On Monday, the city of Akron released Westlake’s file, revealing a history of disciplinary actions and use-of-force incidents, as the police department released the video of the interaction “in an effort to be as transparent as possible.”
What a surprise someone like that is still on the force.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The files show that in May 2021, he was suspended for 71 days because of multiple incidents that year, including using profanity, using an anti-gay slur and brandishing his firearm toward his girlfriend while intoxicated, as well as off-duty “extremely intoxicated” incidents in Ohio and Florida in which he exhibited behaviors and actions “that discredited the police department.”
Oh more surprises.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This is no surprise re keeping officers in despite a record of excessive force, anger issues, domestic violence, etc. Mental health is a serious issue among LEOs.

That said, why the hell are kids still pulling the toy gun shit in this day and age? Especially a teen, ffs. And no, I don't believe a teen has a right to run around with a toy gun and pretending to be on some prowl.

It may be a good idea for toy manufacturers to make toy guns ( mold to make them look real) only in neon colors and flashy lights. This way officers can see in a moment of stress that the child is not actually armed and dangerous.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"The video then shows still images with a circle around what appears to be the toy or facsimile gun in Tavion’s hand at the start of the clip. Another still shows the gun on the grass near the patrol vehicle and Tavion several feet away with his hands raised."

So the kid dropped the toy gun and raised his hands and still got shot?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:32 am "The video then shows still images with a circle around what appears to be the toy or facsimile gun in Tavion’s hand at the start of the clip. Another still shows the gun on the grass near the patrol vehicle and Tavion several feet away with his hands raised."

That's what it seems like to me.
306/232

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:22 am
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:32 am "The video then shows still images with a circle around what appears to be the toy or facsimile gun in Tavion’s hand at the start of the clip. Another still shows the gun on the grass near the patrol vehicle and Tavion several feet away with his hands raised."

Even if the kid were an adult and the gun were real, police shouldn't be going around shooting unarmed people who have their hands in the air. Sheesh.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:53 am This is no surprise re keeping officers in despite a record of excessive force, anger issues, domestic violence, etc. Mental health is a serious issue among LEOs.

That said, why the hell are kids still pulling the toy gun shit in this day and age? Especially a teen, ffs. And no, I don't believe a teen has a right to run around with a toy gun and pretending to be on some prowl.

It may be a good idea for toy manufacturers to make toy guns ( mold to make them look real) only in neon colors and flashy lights. This way officers can see in a moment of stress that the child is not actually armed and dangerous.
Some seventeen year old walked down the street carrying an AR-15 and the police basically ignored him. I wonder why.
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:26 am
Della wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:22 am

Even if the kid were an adult and the gun were real, police shouldn't be going around shooting unarmed people who have their hands in the air. Sheesh.
There certainly shouldn't be mere seconds between interaction and a fatal reaction.
306/232

cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Well, there's that.

Della wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:33 am
cgd5112 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:53 am This is no surprise re keeping officers in despite a record of excessive force, anger issues, domestic violence, etc. Mental health is a serious issue among LEOs.

Some seventeen year old walked down the street carrying an AR-15 and the police basically ignored him. I wonder why.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic