Alabama pushes two bills to restrict what’s in the library: ‘It’s creating a nanny state.’

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:22 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:58 am
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:30 am My county recently suspended a One Division, One Book community reading of the book "Wishtree" because a parent from outside the county complained about the red oak in the book not using gendered pronouns. She claims it's "indoctrination of children into transgender lifestyle". <sigh> I really do worry about the education of children in conservative states and districts.
Just to be clear, a parent was mad that a tree wasn't gendered??
Damn those monoecious trees. The line in the book that caused the parent's ire was " “Call me she. Call me he. Anything will work.” The parent claimed that "Wishtree's" nonbinary account of the oak's identity, was "indoctrination at its finest." The three conservative Christians on our school board agreed with her and the book was removed and the community reading was suspended.

AND get this. April is when all our county non-profit groups ask for money from the county budget. The board of supervisors is contemplating not funding those non-profits who didn't cancel their coinciding events with the reading of "Wishtree" (our county theater, arts center, and library). At the same time our town council (more liberal and reasonable) are working on re-structuring their budget to accommodate giving to these non-profits. <sigh>

School board meeting tonight and the author of "Wishtree" will be present so should be interesting!
This country is losing it's collective mind. Time to put America on hospice.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:22 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:58 am
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:30 am My county recently suspended a One Division, One Book community reading of the book "Wishtree" because a parent from outside the county complained about the red oak in the book not using gendered pronouns. She claims it's "indoctrination of children into transgender lifestyle". <sigh> I really do worry about the education of children in conservative states and districts.
Just to be clear, a parent was mad that a tree wasn't gendered??
Damn those monoecious trees. The line in the book that caused the parent's ire was " “Call me she. Call me he. Anything will work.” The parent claimed that "Wishtree's" nonbinary account of the oak's identity, was "indoctrination at its finest." The three conservative Christians on our school board agreed with her and the book was removed and the community reading was suspended.

AND get this. April is when all our county non-profit groups ask for money from the county budget. The board of supervisors is contemplating not funding those non-profits who didn't cancel their coinciding events with the reading of "Wishtree" (our county theater, arts center, and library). At the same time our town council (more liberal and reasonable) are working on re-structuring their budget to accommodate giving to these non-profits. <sigh>

School board meeting tonight and the author of "Wishtree" will be present so should be interesting!
These parents realize that it's a tree, right? And that Oak trees are monoecious? So having the tree as non-binary makes perfect bloody sense. God forbid we teach kids about SCIENCE!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

So petty.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:09 pm So petty.
This is way more than petty.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic