Religious Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (REDI) Index

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:37 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:37 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:27 pm

I had the opposite of you as a kid. People judged everyone all the time for their religion. My mother faced it at her job. I faced it in school from Christian teachers. Some people don't care for Catholics especially in the seventies in the bible belt. Personally, I tired of it. So maybe "let the Good Lord handle it" isn't the best thing to say. I guess then I'd say, "we will all practice our religion unless someone oversteps. You are overstepping by saying 'they will go to hell.' In fact you don't know that for a fact. Cease and desist or go work for Hobby Lobby."

But we need to talk about religion now. It can't be ignored anymore. For example I work with a Muslim physical therapist on occasion. I might call his office to hear the receptionist say he's at prayer. I say fine and leave a message. Because Islam and prayer are important to him, so I respect that. Heck I knew someone that got into trouble with a Muslim client because he bought him a bottle of wine. She didn't know Muslims aren't supposed to drink. I just heard a TikTok where workers were talking about what day to take off for Eid. Idk what exactly Eid is but apparently Muslims need to worship on that day. I'm involved in scouting and recently we had to accommodate a Jewish troop that couldn't travel on the Sabbath. Or say you're a company and you want to have a picnic for your employers. In the south we like pig roasts but not everyone can eat pork. So one has an alternative. These are things that like it or not we have to accommodate in a diverse society.

I personally am not religious although I did like having Good Friday off. I don't have an issue with companies allowing religious practices at work so long as they don't interfere with other people, harm living things, or are illegal. I DO take exception when people judge others. So for that I would say, which is pretty much true in all religions including atheism: Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you.
I would fully agree that anyone should get any religious day off that they need…

But bringing religion INTO the workplace is what can cause problems…

It’s great to say do unto other as you would have done to you… but serious Christian’s would say “ I would want them to try and save my soul” . Meaning, “thou shall not suffer a witch to live”. The way to save the soul of the others is to tell them they are going to burn in hell for their religion, or their sexuality…

Muslims and Jewish people aren’t liking each other right now, their religions aren’t meshing well right now.

Chinese folk religionists aren’t getting along with Tibetan Buddhists right now…

Some religions literally don’t mix well because they’ve gone to war so often, and in recent memories…

It’s just a distraction that can lead to problems to have religion in the workplace…
So a homosexual can't mention their spouse at work either because certain Christians aren't able to keep their opinions to themselves?

If a Muslim needs to pray during the work day they should be able to without fear that a coworker is going to harm them or discriminate against them in some way. If a Pagan needs to take the day after their Yule off because they'll be up all night they should be able to without anyone thinking they need to be cleansed.

If a Jewish person need accommodations to their schedule so they can observe Sabbat without other coworkers having an issue with it. Most of our government holidays already accommodate Christian holy days.

If a person causes an issue with another person over religion there's a really easy solution to that...the person who's causing an issue can become employed somewhere else.

Keeping religions debates out of the workplace is one thing but asking a person to hide as part of themselves for fear that someone else will have an issue with it isn't fixing anything.
Of course not.

A gay person should be able to discuss their spouse at will. And the Uber Christian should have to shut the f**k up about their belief that it’s a “burn in hell” kind of sin, because the workplace is not the time or place for that type of religious discussion.

If a Muslim wants to pray, they should go pray and not have to worry about someone making them a victim because it’s no one else’s business. The person that would attempt to harm them should have fear of arrest, not feel it’s their place to insert their own religious beliefs.

People should wear what they want, pray when they want and take the days off that they need…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:28 pm

I would fully agree that anyone should get any religious day off that they need…

It’s great to say do unto other as you would have done to you… but serious Christian’s would say “ I would want them to try and save my soul” . Meaning, “thou shall not suffer a witch to live”. The way to save the soul of the others is to tell them they are going to burn in hell for their religion, or their sexuality…

Muslims and Jewish people aren’t liking each other right now, their religions aren’t meshing well right now.

Chinese folk religionists aren’t getting along with Tibetan Buddhists right now…

Some religions literally don’t mix well because they’ve gone to war so often, and in recent memories…

It’s just a distraction that can lead to problems to have religion in the workplace…
So a homosexual can't mention their spouse at work either because certain Christians aren't able to keep their opinions to themselves?

If a Muslim needs to pray during the work day they should be able to without fear that a coworker is going to harm them or discriminate against them in some way. If a Pagan needs to take the day after their Yule off because they'll be up all night they should be able to without anyone thinking they need to be cleansed.

If a Jewish person need accommodations to their schedule so they can observe Sabbat without other coworkers having an issue with it. Most of our government holidays already accommodate Christian holy days.

If a person causes an issue with another person over religion there's a really easy solution to that...the person who's causing an issue can become employed somewhere else.

Keeping religions debates out of the workplace is one thing but asking a person to hide as part of themselves for fear that someone else will have an issue with it isn't fixing anything.
Of course not.

A gay person should be able to discuss their spouse at will. And the Uber Christian should have to shut the f**k up about their belief that it’s a “burn in hell” kind of sin, because the workplace is not the time or place for that type of religious discussion.

If a Muslim wants to pray, they should go pray and not have to worry about someone making them a victim because it’s no one else’s business. The person that would attempt to harm them should have fear of arrest, not feel it’s their place to insert their own religious beliefs.

People should wear what they want, pray when they want and take the days off that they need…
So corporations should offer accommodations and inclusion for people of all faiths but just not let their employees talk about it. Kind of like "don't ask don't tell", lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:34 pm

Of course not.

So corporations should offer accommodations and inclusion for people of all faiths but just not let their employees talk about it. Kind of like "don't ask don't tell", lol.
Does it make you feel better to hear Christians tell gay people they’re going to burn in hell?

Or do you think they should need to keep that opinion to themselves in the workplace, where gay people work?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:19 pm

Of course not.

Does it make you feel better to hear Christians tell gay people they’re going to burn in hell?

Or do you think they should need to keep that opinion to themselves in the workplace, where gay people work?
Now you are just being absurd.

In the almost decade that these programs have been in place, have there been reports of marauding Christian employees verbally attacking gay, Muslim, and Jewish employees? Can Christians only work with those of their own faith?

Every post you've created in this OP has indicated that you do not understand DEI and REDI initiatives or the value corporations place on employee recruitment and retention as well as value of expanding their markets. I'm not saying that to offend you I just feel frustrated that you are trying to derail a discussion where you have no knowledge of the topic with wild exaggerations and scenarios that simply don't routinely exist within an inclusive corporation.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:02 pm

In the almost decade that these programs have been in place, have there been reports of marauding Christian employees verbally attacking gay, Muslim, and Jewish employees? Can Christians only work with those of their own faith?

Every post you've created in this OP has indicated that you do not understand DEI and REDI initiatives or the value corporations place on employee recruitment and retention as well as value of expanding their markets. I'm not saying that to offend you I just feel frustrated that you are trying to derail a discussion where you have no knowledge of the topic with wild exaggerations and scenarios that simply don't routinely exist within an inclusive corporation.
Or maybe you’re just denying the reality of what happens every day in this country…

But fine. It doesn’t happen…everything is rainbows and sunshine and with just a slight bit of religious education in the workplace, everyone will be nice.

What a wonderful world…
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:34 pm

Or maybe you’re just denying the reality of what happens every day in this country…

But fine. It doesn’t happen…everything is rainbows and sunshine and with just a slight bit of religious education in the workplace, everyone will be nice.

What a wonderful world…
I want to know, in which world do you reside and does it have pink 🐘?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:41 pm

What a wonderful world…
I live in the south…

Where my gay daughter was so harassed and bullied with the suggestion of burning in hell that she could no longer attend school because of the panic attacks and when the parents were confronted by school staff the parents stood up for their children like they were bringing Gods word into her life and she should be thankful for the education, then subsequently had to be homeschooled because the suicidal thoughts were getting too intense.

Those are the parents in the workforce… those are the parents you and Wells want to be free to discuss their religion in the workplace.

Those are the people I don’t want to be discussing their religion in the workplace.

And hey! Many of them work for Tyson…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:22 pm

What a wonderful world…
I live in the south…

Where my gay daughter was so harassed and bullied with the suggestion of burning in hell that she could no longer attend school because of the panic attacks and when the parents were confronted by school staff the parents stood up for their children like they were bringing Gods word into her life and she should be thankful for the education, then subsequently had to be homeschooled because the suicidal thoughts were getting too intense.

Those are the parents in the workforce… those are the parents you and Wells want to be free to discuss their religion in the workplace.

Those are the people I don’t want to be discussing their religion in the workplace.

Corporations in the US have historically given Christians religious accommodations via holiday schedule, wearing of Christians symbols, food in cafeteria, honoring the Christian sabbath, and in the not so distant past, giving preference to Christians in hiring. The idea that people of faith (or no faith) cannot meet and discuss how a company can be more inclusive of their individual beliefs, or market to customers that share those beliefs because Christians may become abusive is pretty horrific.

I am so sorry that happened to your daughter. There are horrible racist bigots in the world and some call themselves Christians. I would say that the school's response was inappropriate as those kids should have been expelled. When your daughter enters the workforce, she will not be completely removed from the horrible racist bigots but hopefully her employer will have a space like Salesforce's "Outforce" where she can safely discuss her needs for accommodation, that will support those LBGTQ organizations where she finds support, and requires all members of the workforce to treat her with dignity and respect. All people regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, age, or disability are deserving of that support.

It is possible for people to discuss their own religion and beliefs without being disrespectful of other religions. We see that all the time in real life. If the so-called Christian parents are employed by Tyson or any other company, and they bring that hate speech into the workplace, I almost guarantee they wouldn't have employment for long. IMO, respectful communication regarding someone's identity absolutely has a place in the workplace. Hate speech does not.

Just to note, companies with DEI or REDI programs experience less complaints of workplace discrimination or harassment than companies without DEI or REDI programs. They have less employee turnover, higher recruitment, and higher job satisfaction ratings. Again, they are not implementing these programs because of their "morals" but because it is demonstratively profitable.

You can try to argue that DEI or REDI programs potentially set employees up for harassment if they reveal their faith, sexual orientation, etc. but in fact, the opposite has been found.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:22 pm

What a wonderful world…
I live in the south…

You live in a peripheral of the south. I think you spent a few summers there and I believe you moved there, but I don't think you're in an area of Arkansas that is truly southern. I think you're a California girl who moved to an area she doesn't fully understand. Those are also the parents who want your children to ride their red bus and accept their chaplains.

I won't say anything about your daughter because you have already accused me of vulgarity I won't repeat.

The Tyson issue? I'm thinking that has more to do with using children to replace "illegals".
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:27 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:04 pm

What a person eats and wears doesn’t really have anything to do with the rest of the employee’s experiences at work… that should have no bearing and people should do what they want.

But even saying “the good lord above” is religion specific and can cause arguments.

When I was younger we were taught you don’t talk about religion, politics or S*x in the workplace… that’s your own personal beliefs and they don’t belong in the office. I tend to stick with that mentality.
I had the opposite of you as a kid. People judged everyone all the time for their religion. My mother faced it at her job. I faced it in school from Christian teachers. Some people don't care for Catholics especially in the seventies in the bible belt. Personally, I tired of it. So maybe "let the Good Lord handle it" isn't the best thing to say. I guess then I'd say, "we will all practice our religion unless someone oversteps. You are overstepping by saying 'they will go to hell.' In fact you don't know that for a fact. Cease and desist or go work for Hobby Lobby."

But we need to talk about religion now. It can't be ignored anymore. For example I work with a Muslim physical therapist on occasion. I might call his office to hear the receptionist say he's at prayer. I say fine and leave a message. Because Islam and prayer are important to him, so I respect that. Heck I knew someone that got into trouble with a Muslim client because he bought him a bottle of wine. She didn't know Muslims aren't supposed to drink. I just heard a TikTok where workers were talking about what day to take off for Eid. Idk what exactly Eid is but apparently Muslims need to worship on that day. I'm involved in scouting and recently we had to accommodate a Jewish troop that couldn't travel on the Sabbath. Or say you're a company and you want to have a picnic for your employers. In the south we like pig roasts but not everyone can eat pork. So one has an alternative. These are things that like it or not we have to accommodate in a diverse society.

I personally am not religious although I did like having Good Friday off. I don't have an issue with companies allowing religious practices at work so long as they don't interfere with other people, harm living things, or are illegal. I DO take exception when people judge others. So for that I would say, which is pretty much true in all religions including atheism: Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you.

I just don't see telling people to keep their religion out of the workplace is a viable answer for reasons I've stated. Some religions require scheduled prayer and it can't be skipped because someone is at work. I'd have a chapel or a room where they could do that and the understanding they get prayer breaks. Same with those needing days off, etc.
I think everyone makes it harder than it has to be. The company should say look you don't have to agree but all religions are to be respected here. If the Muslim can't get along with their Jewish coworker they're free to go work for a Muslim owned company. Ditto a Christian working with a Wiccan. It's 2024 and companies are diverse now. Deal with your coworker or go work for other like minded people. That's how I'd present it if I was the manager. Everyone is free to practice or not practice their religion without fear of harassment. Follow that rule or work elsewhere. And I'd be serious about it. I don't know any company that allows discrimination based on religion. But it shouldn't be tolerated.

you're also assuming every Muslim dislikes every Jew or every Christian is against the Wiccan religion or atheism. It's not true. I was a "serious Christian," at one time. I couldn't have cared less what Wiccans did. I didn't agree with them but the ones I knew were very kind. That was fine with me. I didn't subscribe to the notion that non-christians were damned. I can't be the only Christian that just wants to live and let live. Ditto my Jewish friends. They might not be happy with Palestine but neither do they dislike Muslims. If I'm seeing any problem it is that many are angry with Israel. A select few take it out on American Jews. But again if that happens the workplace should handle it.

I have seen some attitudes changing. For example, when my friend transitioned to female her company accepted her. I've seen emails come across where the writer gives non gender pronouns. People will either accept diversity or they'll have a hard time finding work. It's slow but it's coming.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic