I just don't understand this (non-binary)

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:06 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:07 am They are kicking boys out of the club, so if you’re cool enough to be on the girls team, you can come in.
No, the boys get to watch Why Study Industrial Arts, lol.
I dunno…

Maybe we can let every student come instead of basing it on their genitals?
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:26 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:07 am They are kicking boys out of the club, so if you’re cool enough to be on the girls team, you can come in.
I dunno…

I don't have a problem with that, but I bet a lot of parents do not want boys in the room when the girls watch "the OTHER film," lol.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I dunno…

Oh that ran through my mind too. Perhaps boys would benefit from hearing strong women speak and pick up on some key points on how to interact with strong women in school, career etc. IDK it's very weird to *only* exclude 1 set of people. I mean, I have no dog in this fight as my daughter is invited LOL, it's just the point of it all.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Because there are non-binary people who present as feminine to society and face the same issues as a person who identifies as female does.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I've got a little story for you to hopefully show that it's not about kicking boys out of the club. My daughter's partner came out as non-binary as couple years ago. Since then they've grown their hair long, get their nails done and somedays they dress very feminine with makeup, dresses, jewellery, etc. When they identified as male they were a firm female rights supporter and ally but didn't fully understand what female presenting people experienced on a day to day basis. In the first few months after going out in public presenting as female they had eye opening experiences and actually apologized to many ciswomen they knew about not fully empathizing with their experiences because they didn't realize those things could actually happen.

It's not about a girls team. It's about people with a shared experience being able to gather in a space and discuss issues and experiences that affect them.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:27 pm

I dunno…

Oh that ran through my mind too. Perhaps boys would benefit from hearing strong women speak and pick up on some key points on how to interact with strong women in school, career etc. IDK it's very weird to *only* exclude 1 set of people. I mean, I have no dog in this fight as my daughter is invited LOL, it's just the point of it all.
And my guess is most cis-gendered males wouldn't care about a conference like this. I have two sons and I think if they saw an ad for something like this they'd just go "whatever" and move on because it just doesn't apply to them.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:55 pm

I dunno…

And my guess is most cis-gendered males wouldn't care about a conference like this. I have two sons and I think if they saw an ad for something like this they'd just go "whatever" and move on because it just doesn't apply to them.
I can't see either of my sons going as both identify as male. The youngest MIGHT go because he knows trans women but I doubt it. He'd see it as not applying to him. And both of them would say we already support women's rights and the LGBTQIA community so why do we need to go? Right or wrong that would be their attitude.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:55 pm

I dunno…

It could also have to do with creating a safe space for women to discuss issues that relate to them. I know I much prefer conferences about women's issues to be female/non-binary only because when they're not you seem to get a lot of "ya...but..."s from cismales. Like the fact that I legitimately get paid 30% less than my male counterparts but I know if I put in an equity complaint I'd just be out of a job. So, I just continue to look for another job within my narrow field.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I dunno…

Maybe if all students were allowed to succeed in every industry, that could work out. But given that’s not how our society works, it makes sense to make space for women specific issues.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

They may not identify as a woman but they are still experiencing what it is like to live in a society that perceives them as a woman if they are "passing".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic