Do you see any validity in this woman’s poem? Or is she missing the mark on how to be inclusive?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:22 pm
SallyMae wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:08 pm "Breeder" is already a slur, I don't think it will become normalized, but I haven't heard anybody trying to normalize it anyway. The new terms I have heard suggested are "pregnant person" and "lactating person" and I think those could be appropriate for describing groups which might include trans men. I don't think it "redefines woman" any more than same-S*x marriage "redefined marriage" to any detriment. I think people will get used to it.
Do you think this could be true?

“Removing references to the S*x of mothers could also reduce visibility of women in medical research and potentially threaten their autonomy”
biological S*x and gender are two different things. Medical research (aside from psychology and the like) doesn't care what your gender is. They're looking at your S*x. So, no. Removing reference to the gender of mothers doesn't reduce visibility of the female S*x in medical research.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:10 pm I see a point, and the point I see is to create hostility toward transgender people.
I didn't see that so much as she's fed up with the labels men put upon her, which are often demeaning. Honestly I took it as a smash against the kind of pro-life politicians who apparently see women as breeders with no rights to their own bodies. As for being anti LGBTQ maybe. Or it could be she's angry with people who want respect for their pronouns but won't respect her as a person.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So I read it and got to the end and my first thought was "what the hell is this person going on about?" And I know what it's about, but I really don't get the resentment and aggression that is coming through in the poem. I don't get what it's about.

Labels are labels, and every label that one might apply to themselves is like one piece of the puzzle that makes the whole person. Yes, I carried my two sons in my womb, but that is one piece of who I am. Yes, I breastfed my two sons, but that is one piece of who I am. Yes, I am a mother, but that is one piece of who I am. Yes, I am a woman, but that is one piece of who I am. Yes, I am an accountant, but that is one piece of who I am.
NONE of those labels, not woman nor mother nor breeder, fully encompasses the PERSON that I am. And I don't understand people who do seem to put their entire identity into one single label. Makes no sense.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

She sounds like a TERF to me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic