Frozen embryos are ‘children,’ Alabama Supreme Court rules in couples’ wrongful death suits

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:01 pm Embryo shipping services have now said they’ll stop transporting embryos out of Alabama, so even people with the means to try to seek treatment elsewhere can’t. Starting over would involve time, pain and significant expense - not just on the actual drugs and transfer, but also accommodations, time off work, etc.

Embryos can be stored up to 10 years so how many "children" are we talking about?

This is so heartbreaking for women in Alabama and I guess we can start seeing other red states follow. Was reading this article this morning:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/woman- ... ce=twitter
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:08 pm
Francee89 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:01 pm Embryo shipping services have now said they’ll stop transporting embryos out of Alabama, so even people with the means to try to seek treatment elsewhere can’t. Starting over would involve time, pain and significant expense - not just on the actual drugs and transfer, but also accommodations, time off work, etc.

Embryos can be stored up to 10 years so how many "children" are we talking about?

This is so heartbreaking for women in Alabama and I guess we can start seeing other red states follow. Was reading this article this morning:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/woman- ... ce=twitter
That poor woman. She’s brave and I appreciate her taking a stand despite the amount of grief, anger and anxiety her experiences have forced her to live with.

I think she has every reason to be fearful of what may happen next in red states, as several conservative legal/lobbyist groups (the ADL and FRC) celebrated it, and the Liberty Counsel has already “filed a notice with the Florida Supreme Court, saying the Alabama decision — including Parker's concurrence — should be factored into a pending decision about a proposed amendment to the state constitution that would protect abortion rights”. (https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/nation ... ryo-ruling)
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Kat Cammack’s statement on the Dobbs decision, which is the reason we’re having this conversation in 2024: “The monumental news in Dobbs v. Jackson is historic. Since the founding of our nation, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness have been key tenets in the United States, and today's news has solidified our most basic right—the right to life. For the most vulnerable among us, this decision affirms the undeniable value of life and the protection and respect for all unborn children. This is a historic day. Life wins!”

Kat Cammack will probably also be shocked to know that she’s a cosponsor of the Life at Conception Act 2024, which would “implement equal protection under the 14th article of amendment to the Constitution for the right to life of each born and preborn human person” from “the moment of fertilization”.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

https://www.glamour.com/story/these-emb ... o-be-a-mom
I want people reading this who don’t live in Alabama to know that you are not special and you are not safe. In Alabama, we got the same kind of flack that we are getting right now in 2019 when primarily Black women were leading the charge to maintain our rights to an abortion in the South, specifically in Mississippi and Alabama. And then they used the South –Mississippi—to ban it for everybody two, three years later. That's the most recent thing, but this has happened all the time. Alabama is the birth of gynecology and the birth of where Black women were experimented upon, and that's where a lot of our practices still come from.

I want people to know that we're not backwoods blood red states who should get what they deserve. Yes, we're in the Bible belt and a lot of powerful people at churches and at the State House have twisted the words of the Bible to fit their Christian evangelical narrative. And people are moving in fear and people are moving against people actively trying to take their ability to vote away. But I want people to know that while the men here are hell-bent on controlling women's bodies and LGBTQ folks' bodies and are very explicit about it—and it may happen first here—they live in your state too. They just might not have a Confederate flag flying in front of their house. And the sooner you wake up and join hands with the mostly Black Alabamians doing the work, that is our best bet for saving our rights on a bigger scale. If you’re interested in supporting local efforts for reproductive rights on the ground, check out the nonprofits ARC Southeast, Sister Song, and the Yellowhammer Fund.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:21 pm https://www.glamour.com/story/these-emb ... o-be-a-mom
I want people reading this who don’t live in Alabama to know that you are not special and you are not safe. In Alabama, we got the same kind of flack that we are getting right now in 2019 when primarily Black women were leading the charge to maintain our rights to an abortion in the South, specifically in Mississippi and Alabama. And then they used the South –Mississippi—to ban it for everybody two, three years later. That's the most recent thing, but this has happened all the time. Alabama is the birth of gynecology and the birth of where Black women were experimented upon, and that's where a lot of our practices still come from.

I want people to know that we're not backwoods blood red states who should get what they deserve. Yes, we're in the Bible belt and a lot of powerful people at churches and at the State House have twisted the words of the Bible to fit their Christian evangelical narrative. And people are moving in fear and people are moving against people actively trying to take their ability to vote away. But I want people to know that while the men here are hell-bent on controlling women's bodies and LGBTQ folks' bodies and are very explicit about it—and it may happen first here—they live in your state too. They just might not have a Confederate flag flying in front of their house. And the sooner you wake up and join hands with the mostly Black Alabamians doing the work, that is our best bet for saving our rights on a bigger scale. If you’re interested in supporting local efforts for reproductive rights on the ground, check out the nonprofits ARC Southeast, Sister Song, and the Yellowhammer Fund.
Thank you for posting this link.
I have quite a few friends whom IVF is part of their journey to becoming parents. We are scared about what this means for them, because she’s right - this will not only be Alabama.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I miss George Carlin

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

https://www.al.com/news/2024/03/alabama ... -work.html
The bill provides legal immunity to doctors and patients undergoing IVF treatment.

However, it did not address the supreme court’s holding that state law defines life as beginning at fertilization, and that frozen embryos are considered people.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic