Donald Trump's Losing White Evangelicals to Joe Biden

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:08 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:05 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:39 pm

Because they’re very different…

A Presbyterian in West Hollywood is typically going to have diametrically different views to a Baptist in Alabama.
That’s denominational not geography.
They are both evangelical, and the white ones would be labeled as all “ White evangelicals “
Geography plays a role in culture. Presbyterians in Arkansas do not vote as a group the same way Presbyterians in Los Angeles typically vote.

So the question remains for me…
Which ones are the “white ones”? Are these Presbyterians part of the same denomination? What question are you referring to?
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

mommy_jules wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:18 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:05 pm

That’s denominational not geography.
They are both evangelical, and the white ones would be labeled as all “ White evangelicals “
Geography plays a role in culture. Presbyterians in Arkansas do not vote as a group the same way Presbyterians in Los Angeles typically vote.

Which ones are the “white ones”? Are these Presbyterians part of the same denomination? What question are you referring to?
Meaning the people who are white… they’re the ones being referenced when these articles describe how White Evangelicals vote…
This is a post about how White Evangelicals vote.

It seems we’re running into the problem of realizing that white evangelicals come from a lot of different backgrounds, denominations, and cultural relevancy beliefs that would suggest they don’t all vote the same.
Della
Princess
Princess

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:34 pm

Meaning the people who are white… they’re the ones being referenced when these articles describe how White Evangelicals vote…

It seems we’re running into the problem of realizing that white evangelicals come from a lot of different backgrounds, denominations, and cultural relevancy beliefs that would suggest they don’t all vote the same.
81 percent of evangelicals voted for Trump.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Della wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:51 pm

Do you think they all voted based on the same reasoning?

https://divinity.uchicago.edu/sightings ... vote-trump
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

I realize that this post is about white evangelicals. I asked because you wrote the highlighted portion. It’s confusing. Were we/you suddenly talking about a different group? Was one of the hypothetical people from West Hollywood or Alabama a different race/ethnicity, because that does change things as well. Also, I’m very much aware of the different beliefs and denominations of evangelicals (I stated as much in my post to OP), and that is precisely why I asked if the Presbyterians were from the same denomination.
Della
Princess
Princess

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 pm

Is that author qualified by your standards to say? Has she sat down with them? Is she part of the group?
306/232

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 pm

Interesting perspective four years later, same author:
"Trump also succeeded at cultivating a loyal following among some white evangelicals because of his targeted outreach to them during his years in the White House. Throughout his administration, he paid special attention to at least two issues that this demographic cares about: abortion and religious freedom.

The importance of abortion for evangelicals-by-belief when considering a presidential candidate rose from 4 percent in 2016 to 11 percent in 2020, a nearly three-fold increase in just four years (see the LifeWay Research poll data reproduced above). Ranked seventh in 2016, abortion skyrocketed to third place in 2020—only COVID and the economy were of greater concern that year. Likewise, religious freedom rose in importance from 7 to 11 percent, climbing from fifth to fourth position.

These shifts may be, in part, a response to Trump’s steady drumbeat about abortion and religious freedom, a drumbeat amplified by many high-profile white evangelical leaders. Regardless of the cause for their increased importance, Trump’s stance on these issues likely helped him at the polls.

In addition, data indicates that it may be difficult for some white evangelicals not to support Trump. Especially for white evangelicals with a high investment in congregational life, churches are important sources of community that they are loathe to disturb. As in other close-knit communities, members tend to exert pressure on others to conform, and backing Trump appears to have become an “in-out” marker. If so, one would expect that white evangelicals who attend church more frequently are more invested in Trump.

https://divinity.uchicago.edu/sightings ... tuck-trump
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Della wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:25 am
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:49 am Evangelical has an actual meaning , and it’s not associated with a political view.
They’re the Christians that focus on the gospel and “Good News” that Christ spread.
Tomayto, tomato, 😄

https://www.oah.org/tah/november-5/evan ... -politics/
"Fear, the pursuit of power, and an approach to public policy built on an unhealthy dose of nostalgia have plagued evangelical politics for a long time."

Amen
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:46 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:15 am Not in the south. I’ll believe it after the election results are in.
I haven't seen indication of white evangelical voters leaving Trump either but what I have seen is a shift in who identifies as a white evangelical, if that makes sense😅
Do they really call themselves white evangelicals? I don’t have a problem with it but I have never heard of that before Trump.
Della
Princess
Princess

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:51 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:46 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:15 am Not in the south. I’ll believe it after the election results are in.
I haven't seen indication of white evangelical voters leaving Trump either but what I have seen is a shift in who identifies as a white evangelical, if that makes sense😅
Do they really call themselves white evangelicals? I don’t have a problem with it but I have never heard of that before Trump.
They're typically called the Christian Right.
306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic