What do you plan to do when you're an empty nester and/or when you retire?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

WOW! I couldn’t imagine doing it in a tear drop! I bet she is having a blast~~~
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:11 pm
Heyteacher wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:04 pm We plan on selling the house after the boys are set in their post high school education/work paths. Then we are going to purchase a fifth wheel and be full time RV travelers. Our boys godparents did it for 3 years and loved it. Then one day recently decided to rent an apartment in Florida because they live it there.
That sounds like fun! My aunt does this but in a tear drop trailer. She spends about 6-8 months of the year on the road and the rest of the time at her home base in Ohio. She's 83.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DH and I have watched so many castle and chateau make overs. In theory it sounds wonderful! Like WellP, we did a huge project on our house- master, kitchen, guest room addition, mudroom and dog wash. We just don't have the interest to invest our time in another project. But, boy, we would love to live abroad in a castle in the country side :)

I hope it happens for you!
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:03 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:47 pm I dunno , it’s going to be weird.
For the twins I have 2 school years left until they’re off to college. YDD technically has 4 years left, but she might be on more of an individualized plan.

We’ve all been talking about them applying to colleges in London/ cooking schools in London and if they do and get in, we’ll ( Dh and I )buy a castle and turn it into a B&B lol.

Side note- castles are insanely cheap sometimes. You can get them for the same price as a regular house in the San Fernando Valley.
My husband and I used to fantasize about doing that (villa in Tuscany rather than castle in England). We went to far as to hire a realtor and visit a few, lol. After entering year 6 of a whole house remodel, there is no way I have the energy or desire to do anything like that! But I do enjoy the YouTube channels of couples doing it. Just note that buying property in England doesn't mean you will be granted a residency permit but you can commute back and forth from US.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I doubt DH will stop working anytime soon. However, we do keep tossing around the idea of moving abroad. Our friends did it and they love it.

AS for what we'd do, so far we just plan the usual things- travel, stay in shape, try new things that challenge us; much of which we are already doing. By the time we retire, we do hope to have our black belts in bjj :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic