Rachel Dolezal fired from Arizona teaching job due to OnlyFans account

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:02 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:09 pm
Aletheia wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:58 pm It isn't uncommon for certain professions to have a line in their contracts something similar to:

Avoid doing anything which could make the public doubt the motives or integrity of a member of staff of the school or bring the school into disrepute.
Are we, as a society, ready for the conversation that S*x work of any kind should not be considered disreputable?
No… it is disreputable.

I agree it should be legal because the government shouldn’t be allowed to tell people what to do with their own bodies… but it’s not in any way a reputable position. It’s damaging to society, and puts women at severe risk for homicide and suicide.
Whether or not it ought to be seen as disreputable, there are significant numbers of parents who think of it as disreputable, and who would be unwilling to pay to send their children to a school priding itself on supporting children developing "moral character" if there's a risk at the school of their children discovering that their favourite teacher is a S*x worker.

Schools want pupils, and try to pick their battles when it comes to trying to push back against views held by more than 50% of their local community.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:47 pm
Aletheia wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:58 pm
Della wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:39 pm I don't give two figs about her activities outside of work as long as they don't impact the children directly.

I can only imagine some of the things my teachers might have been involved in, lol.
It isn't uncommon for certain professions to have a line in their contracts something similar to:

Avoid doing anything which could make the public doubt the motives or integrity of a member of staff of the school or bring the school into disrepute.
I’m genuinely curious - what other professions have this line in their contract? Do medical professionals have this? The corporate world?
Corporate America has a code of conduct for online behavior, but they also google the shit out of you before they hire you. So from where I am sitting......

If conduct was genuinely the reason why they fired her, they never would have hired her in the first place. I have a hard time believing no one knew about her past or cared to check. So, lying about your whole life and race on a national platform is OK but Onlyfans is going too far? WTF?

This reads more like micromanaging teacher's personal lives and selective outrage to me.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:02 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:37 pm No one should be fired for legal activities they conduct on their personal time. However, Dolezal was pretty stupid to link to her OnlyFans account in her Instagram.
I feel this about instagram and Facebook: whatever your private settings if you don't want your boss, mama, priest or the cops to know don't post it. Tiktok might be a bit different since you can use a fake name but basically still be careful.
Preach. I have lived by this since the early 2000s. <3
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:29 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:09 pm

Are we, as a society, ready for the conversation that S*x work of any kind should not be considered disreputable?
No… it is disreputable.

I agree it should be legal because the government shouldn’t be allowed to tell people what to do with their own bodies… but it’s not in any way a reputable position. It’s damaging to society, and puts women at severe risk for homicide and suicide.
Whether or not it ought to be seen as disreputable, there are significant numbers of parents who think of it as disreputable, and who would be unwilling to pay to send their children to a school priding itself on supporting children developing "moral character" if there's a risk at the school of their children discovering that their favourite teacher is a S*x worker.

Schools want pupils, and try to pick their battles when it comes to trying to push back against views held by more than 50% of their local community.
This is true but that respect isn't going both ways. My Japanese side is still pretty strict about a man or woman being sexually promiscuous because of the consequences but we also put our educators on the high pedestal they deserve. It's like we (Americans) disrespect our teachers in the worst way but expect them to be perfect. I never understood that logic.

I disagree with shaming people for having moral boundaries when it comes to S*x but teachers do not get paid enough to feel uncomfortable buying rubbers at Walgreens. A lot of times the moral expectations these parents have is not reasonable.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:46 am

No… it is disreputable.

This is true but that respect isn't going both ways. My Japanese side is still pretty strict about a man or woman being sexually promiscuous because of the consequences but we also put our educators on the high pedestal they deserve. It's like we (Americans) disrespect our teachers in the worst way but expect them to be perfect. I never understood that logic.

I disagree with shaming people for having moral boundaries when it comes to S*x but teachers do not get paid enough to feel uncomfortable buying rubbers at Walgreens. A lot of times the moral expectations these parents have is not reasonable.
That highlighted part is so true. It’s really frustrating. I mean there have been sooo many times I’ve looked at my cart and thought how awkward it would be if a student/parent saw I was buying (and this has been things like wine, tampons, lingerie, pregnancy tests, etc)
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Many do. Many spokespeople have lost contracts for acting in ways a company deems wrong. In any job that depends on a certain image or reputation will have similar clauses.
SoFloMom wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:47 pm
Aletheia wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:58 pm
Della wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:39 pm I don't give two figs about her activities outside of work as long as they don't impact the children directly.

I can only imagine some of the things my teachers might have been involved in, lol.
It isn't uncommon for certain professions to have a line in their contracts something similar to:

I’m genuinely curious - what other professions have this line in their contract? Do medical professionals have this? The corporate world?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:35 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:46 am

That highlighted part is so true. It’s really frustrating. I mean there have been sooo many times I’ve looked at my cart and thought how awkward it would be if a student/parent saw I was buying (and this has been things like wine, tampons, lingerie, pregnancy tests, etc)
That is how it was when I lived in a really small town, and I mentored in my 20s. I used to hate going to Walmart because everybody was in your business like the paparazzi. It's unreasonable. Teachers do not get paid enough and do not get enough respect to have to live under a microscope like that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic