If you’ve had a CT with contrast, please come here.

mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:20 pm Nausea and dizziness are common side effects of the contrast given. Some people get flu like symptoms but are not as common. Diarrhea is also a less common sode effect. However, it should not last more than a day. Drink plenty of water to flush out the dye. Call the hospital department where you had the scan done for advice.
They said I could probably taste a metallic taste. I never got that. I am an avid drinker (of water) so that’s not an issue. The nausea is gone but my stomach hurts - like someone punched me in the gut. Could that be from the vomiting and using those muscles? I know you might not know. I am just trying to figure out why it hurts.

I had a lot of diarrhea and vomiting. I walked in fine and left sick. I’ve never had that happen before.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:46 pm IMG_5351.jpeg
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:22 pm Wow, I don't know what this is or what's it's for, but based on the responses, I'll stay far, far away from ever having it done.
For me, I have this lump by my ear. The CT scan is to examine it inside or whatever to see what it causing it. I’ve had two rounds of antibiotics and it still looks like this. My PCP thinks it’s a salivary stone but it could be something more serious.

They inject a contrast into you so they can see. That contrast is the what I’m having a reaction to. Sorry about the headset. I was at work.
Thanks for an explanation for us clueless folks.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I didn't read any of the other replies, but my first thought is I wonder if you just got a virus right afterwards. I had that over Christmas and it hit all of the sudden and lots of puking for many hours and my DH had it on the other end of diarrhea. I have had a CT scan with contrast before and even recently and that has never happened because of that. Maybe it's just that you got a sickness randomly and has nothing to do with the CT? Hope you feel better asap!!!
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:19 am I didn't read any of the other replies, but my first thought is I wonder if you just got a virus right afterwards. I had that over Christmas and it hit all of the sudden and lots of puking for many hours and my DH had it on the other end of diarrhea. I have had a CT scan with contrast before and even recently and that has never happened because of that. Maybe it's just that you got a sickness randomly and has nothing to do with the CT? Hope you feel better asap!!!
I’m all better - but since I haven’t been around anyone, I’m nearly positive it’s the contrast.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:41 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:18 pm I had one when I got into a car accident over a year ago. I didn't have that problem but I had a terrible reaction to the contrast. It legit felt like they stuck boiling water into my veins. It just kept getting worse and worse till I couldn't stand it anymore and begged for it to stop. It burns. It burns so bad!
It was weird because I have had soon many MRIs with contrast and never had that burning feeling. They must have used something else with the CT scan.
That burning feeling almost like a really bad hot flash with CT scans contrast is normal. They warn you about it beforehand or at least every time I’ve had one they did. It also makes you feel like you pissed yourself. CT scans and MRI use different contrast agents, so your experience would be different.
They did warm me about the hot feeling that feels like you are peeing yourself. And I did feel that too. I laughed about it and said yeah it does kind of feel like you're peeing yourself. But the unbearable burning I'm talking about was in my hand and arm where they injected the contrast. It was very unpleasant. I could hardly bear it. Very painful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic