Nostalgic Thanksgiving dishes

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:57 am Idk…I’m a southerner, so there’s many things we eat that other people think are gross or weird, but I think one thing we (my family) always had growing up that others didn’t is what we call chocolate syrup cake (not just on Thanksgiving but in general). It’s just a basic butter/yellow cake with holes poked in it then homemade chocolate syrup/sauce is poured over it. That’s it. It’s doesn’t look like much, but it’s good. I guess it’s what’s called a poke cake now, but it’s not dressed up with whipped cream or anything like that. Having some this evening when I go to my sister’s for Thanksgiving.
That is new to me, though I made many "poke cakes" as a kid learning to bake. Homemade chocolate syrup sounds great! We used to make our own hot-fudge sauce drizzle overtop cream puffs.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Not as much nostalgic for me but definitely for my kids, I make both a potato casserole and mashed potatoes. My youngest doesn’t like potato casserole but everyone else says it’s not thanksgiving without it. My mom started that one, though she’d been making it as an occasional side for years, it wasn’t until I was an adult that it replaced mashed potatoes on holidays, along with cream cheese corn. Also baked sweet potatoes. Dh was the one who brought candied sweet potatoes to the table and a very gross to me rice salad that is white rice, pineapple, cherries, and whipped cream.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:43 pm Not as much nostalgic for me but definitely for my kids, I make both a potato casserole and mashed potatoes. My youngest doesn’t like potato casserole but everyone else says it’s not thanksgiving without it. My mom started that one, though she’d been making it as an occasional side for years, it wasn’t until I was an adult that it replaced mashed potatoes on holidays, along with cream cheese corn. Also baked sweet potatoes. Dh was the one who brought candied sweet potatoes to the table and a very gross to me rice salad that is white rice, pineapple, cherries, and whipped cream.
Wow - that is quite a few new-to-me dishes! What is "cream cheese corn" ? The other dish sounds like a cold uncooked rice pudding with fruit?
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:20 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:57 am Idk…I’m a southerner, so there’s many things we eat that other people think are gross or weird, but I think one thing we (my family) always had growing up that others didn’t is what we call chocolate syrup cake (not just on Thanksgiving but in general). It’s just a basic butter/yellow cake with holes poked in it then homemade chocolate syrup/sauce is poured over it. That’s it. It’s doesn’t look like much, but it’s good. I guess it’s what’s called a poke cake now, but it’s not dressed up with whipped cream or anything like that. Having some this evening when I go to my sister’s for Thanksgiving.
That is new to me, though I made many "poke cakes" as a kid learning to bake. Homemade chocolate syrup sounds great! We used to make our own hot-fudge sauce drizzle overtop cream puffs.
No other families I know make it or have heard of it either, so it seems something specific to our family. I know my grandmother (dad’s mom) made it for her family, but I’m not sure if it started before then or not. She had 6 kids and my grandfather had mobility issues most of his life, so maybe it was a dessert that was cheap and easy and that tasted good. I might have to ask my dad.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:46 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:43 pm Not as much nostalgic for me but definitely for my kids, I make both a potato casserole and mashed potatoes. My youngest doesn’t like potato casserole but everyone else says it’s not thanksgiving without it. My mom started that one, though she’d been making it as an occasional side for years, it wasn’t until I was an adult that it replaced mashed potatoes on holidays, along with cream cheese corn. Also baked sweet potatoes. Dh was the one who brought candied sweet potatoes to the table and a very gross to me rice salad that is white rice, pineapple, cherries, and whipped cream.
Wow - that is quite a few new-to-me dishes! What is "cream cheese corn" ? The other dish sounds like a cold uncooked rice pudding with fruit?
Cream cheese corn is corn cooked with cream cheese and butter. So like for 1 regular size bag of corn it’s about 1/4-1/2 (depending on preference) cream cheese and 1/4-1/2 stick of butter again depending on preference. I do it in the crockpot, stirring occasionally. It sounds like an odd combination but is surprisingly good.

The rice salad is cooked white rice, completely cooled then canned, drained pineapple chunks, maraschino cherries, drained, and whipped cream. Dh loves that stuff, I think it’s revolting. Mil doesn’t even like it, she only made it because Dh and his dad loved it. No one had to make it this year because Dh wasn’t here for Thanksgiving 😂
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Traditional/Nostalgia must haves:
Mac and cheese
Dressing
Collards
Candied Yams
Dirty Rice or Jambalaya
Gumbo
Chicken Tetrazzini
Cornbread

We don’t have it every holiday but chitterlings and pig feet is probably two dishes that most people find gross or weird.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, being Jewish, I always turn to traditional dishes on holidays. So there’s matzoh balls or kreplach, cholent and at least one type of kugel every holiday. Being Mexican as well means my guefilte fish is “a la veracruzana”, in a spicy tomato sauce with red peppers and olives.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

We always do a creamed shrimp soup for appetizer.

My family is split between home made or a canned cranberry sauce so we always have both.

Outside of that, I always try to serve a real vegetable dish- not creamed corn or green bean casserole (although I love both!) I just have to have a fresher veg with each meal because I think it balances the palette and prevents heartburn as well as a jump in blood sugar. It's just how I eat. I also serve green bean casserole but I have to have something with more fiber/less fat like a salad or roasted veg.
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

Oh, also, I usually don't make turkey or ham. I really like duck, Cornish hen, and crown roast so I alternate between those five.
Locked Previous topicNext topic