Biden's first move as president-elect? Mask mandate for all. Here's how he plans on doing it.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:11 am But if they won’t because there’s no consequence anyway, what will change? The people who don’t want to wear one now because yiu can’t make them will still not wear them. What’s the point of making something mandatory if there’s no consequence for choosing not to it?
cgd5112 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:44 am I agree that fining people and being punitive is not the answer. Ia also agree that people should wear masks.

LizardAnnie wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:24 am This won't be happening overnight, and especially with states varying on the political party of its leaders. IOW, this might be yet another uphill battle for Biden.

That said, provided that it's a mandate with no implications of fines and so forth for not complying, I don't see the issue. People should still be wearing masks while out in public along with social distancing.
I think a mandate allows businesses and public offices to turn away customers who will not comply. That is significant. I just read Utah resisted any mandate, and now has to have one due to upsurge in fatalities. So sad that people have to be ordered to take a simple step that saves lives.

wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Looks like all the turmoil won't be over after all with Biden in office. Him already talking about doing an end run around governors if they don't do what he wants doesn't bode well for the future. I read he is talking about doing the same thing on a vaccine when it finally becomes available.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

wildflowers25 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:28 am Looks like all the turmoil won't be over after all with Biden in office. Him already talking about doing an end run around governors if they don't do what he wants doesn't bode well for the future. I read he is talking about doing the same thing on a vaccine when it finally becomes available.
I don’t know what he actually said but I wouldn't worry too much. He can talk. Politicians all do. What he can actually do is another story.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:37 am
wildflowers25 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:28 am Looks like all the turmoil won't be over after all with Biden in office. Him already talking about doing an end run around governors if they don't do what he wants doesn't bode well for the future. I read he is talking about doing the same thing on a vaccine when it finally becomes available.
I don’t know what he actually said but I wouldn't worry too much. He can talk. Politicians all do. What he can actually do is another story.
It's just what I was reading he had said. I guess at this point I'm putting as much stock into it as him waffling back and forth on phasing out oil production. I'm not against looking into alternative energy sources but phasing out oil and gas production would have to be done carefully. It doesn't stop me from wondering what exactly he's really thinking about doing as opposed to just talking to appease voters.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:11 am But if they won’t because there’s no consequence anyway, what will change? The people who don’t want to wear one now because yiu can’t make them will still not wear them. What’s the point of making something mandatory if there’s no consequence for choosing not to it?
cgd5112 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:44 am I agree that fining people and being punitive is not the answer. Ia also agree that people should wear masks.

LizardAnnie wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:24 am This won't be happening overnight, and especially with states varying on the political party of its leaders. IOW, this might be yet another uphill battle for Biden.

That said, provided that it's a mandate with no implications of fines and so forth for not complying, I don't see the issue. People should still be wearing masks while out in public along with social distancing.
We have a mask mandate in our state. Businesses can be fined if their employees are not abiding by the mask mandate and they can turn away customers who are not abiding. I think that is sufficient. Do we still have those customers who go without masks, sure. But turning employees into "police" is not the answer. It's a tough call but I know in my market, customers who won't wear a mask have dug in and barring them from purchases has created a situation where they started to gather and protest, putting even more people at risk. We have since started to just ignore them and they have gone away, mostly due to customer peer pressure.

I don't remember who the poster was, but someone in this group had a business in a state that also has a mask mandate. They said none of the businesses in their community were abiding by it. I almost guarantee that at $1500 a pop fine (that's the fine in our state), most businesses would require their employees to wear masks. The local businesses that have been fined in our county show up in our local newspaper. No one wants that kind of monetary loss or publicity.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Texas is already under a mask mandate.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Maybe that’s not the answer.
But IMHO it’s still more of an answer than calling something a “mandate” when it’s anything but. If you’re going to call something a “mandate” then it’s not voluntary, it’s mandated and therefore there are consequences for not abiding. As it is, call it a “suggestion” because it’s nothing more than that.
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:51 am

We have a mask mandate in our state. Businesses can be fined if their employees are not abiding by the mask mandate and they can turn away customers who are not abiding. I think that is sufficient. Do we still have those customers who go without masks, sure. But turning employees into "police" is not the answer. It's a tough call but I know in my market, customers who won't wear a mask have dug in and barring them from purchases has created a situation where they started to gather and protest, putting even more people at risk. We have since started to just ignore them and they have gone away, mostly due to customer peer pressure.

I don't remember who the poster was, but someone in this group had a business in a state that also has a mask mandate. They said none of the businesses in their community were abiding by it. I almost guarantee that at $1500 a pop fine (that's the fine in our state), most businesses would require their employees to wear masks. The local businesses that have been fined in our county show up in our local newspaper. No one wants that kind of monetary loss or publicity.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/mee ... task-force

I gave a sign of relief reading the above.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:37 am
KendallsMom wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:38 pmGood.
Like hell it is.

lAny way, he's not legally the president elect yet.
The states that have lower covid numbers have a higher rate of mask compliance. Just wear your goddamn F***ing mask already! We've been wearing them since May. It's not a big F***ing deal.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:38 am https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/mee ... task-force

I gave a sign of relief reading the above.
This makes me more confident that we actually stand a chance at controlling COVID, rather than the other way around.
Locked Previous topicNext topic