What is the difference between being a cynic, being bitter or being jaded?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

And are those all negative things?
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

they are all pretty much the same and yes they are negative
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I guess that depends. I have no problem admitting I’m a cynic. Which I personally define as being a realist as opposed to being idealistic. I know how the world works, our human nature and while I don’t always like it, I accept it as a reality and deal with it in the best possible way.
I’m not bitter, though. I love life! I’m happy with life. And I definitely don’t feel apathetic or lack enthusiasm.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 2

Unread post

That's a good explanation, similar to my way of thinking.

I've always been a cynic, but I've only recently become bitter. 😛
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:58 pm I guess that depends. I have no problem admitting I’m a cynic. Which I personally define as being a realist as opposed to being idealistic. I know how the world works, our human nature and while I don’t always like it, I accept it as a reality and deal with it in the best possible way.
I’m not bitter, though. I love life! I’m happy with life. And I definitely don’t feel apathetic or lack enthusiasm.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s hard to look at the world and be blissfully idealistic.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:15 pm That's a good explanation, similar to my way of thinking.

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:58 pm I guess that depends. I have no problem admitting I’m a cynic. Which I personally define as being a realist as opposed to being idealistic. I know how the world works, our human nature and while I don’t always like it, I accept it as a reality and deal with it in the best possible way.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My oldest is cynical. He sees the world realistically but can also be critical, something I'm trying to train out of him. My youngest is more of a dreamer. And if you're bitter you see the worse in everyone. Everyone has their dark side but a bitter person can't see the good for whatever reason. Furthermore they don't want anyone else to be happy. Whereas you can be in sorrow, angry or depressed but still want others to be happy. Jaded is you expect love and happiness won't last but someone can turn that around.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

A cynic is someone who believes everyone is selfish. (negative)
Someone who is bitter wishes to make others suffer for their inner hurt. (negative)
Jaded means being bored or tired, usually of something that you have done a lot or had too much. (neither negative or positive)
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:15 pm That's a good explanation, similar to my way of thinking.

Aww, don’t be bitter! Life is too short!!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I like reading the responses to this post.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think of jaded as being towards a particular thing or activity. Like when I tell people that by the time I got my oldest potty trained, which was an extremely difficult and long process, I was so jaded by the whole thing that I couldn't even think about starting with my youngest. Feeling jaded was specifically towards the task of potty training.

Whereas being cynical or bitter seems more general. If you are one or both of those things, you have that attitude towards most all things in life. And it's generally not one specific thing that made you that way but rather a series of events or just a personality aspect.
Locked Previous topicNext topic