Murder rate by state

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There were 246 murders in Oklahoma in 2017
There were 650 in Chicago, and 997 in the state.

I don’t think the math works to simply try and work out how many murderers per 100,000 people exist in a normal American “parts per million“ test.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:07 pm
Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:32 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:19 pm

Blue cities in red states if you’d like to keep emphasizing political party. Calling out the elephant in the room, I don’t care about what other countries do if you’re saying that’s no excuse for Black on Black crime since that’s what we are talking about or downplay what I’m telling you because it’s not fitting the gun law argument.

I support stricter gun laws in the south, so I don’t completely rule it out. But it doesn’t have as big of a impact as people make it out to be to fuss about gun laws and political parties. Bottom line, most of these crimes aren’t committed with legally obtained firearm and stricter laws won’t have enough of an impact to make us the poster child for gun laws.

I know mass shooters won’t fit the red state narrative but they would make a better candidate since more of those crimes are committed by people who legally obtain fire arm, not us.
I told you before I was clarifying the misconception that a poster wrote about it being a blue state problem. We should address it as a country problem. And to look at countries that are successful in containing gun violence is a smart thing. It's common sense that a country with virtually no guns in homes have very little gun violence.

We will never know if removing guns from homes would have an impact because people in this country won't let go of their guns. Yes, criminals will always have guns and there will always be murder. But we don't need to be the murder capital of the wealthy democratic countries.

Trump loves to bring up the Latino gangs and the MS13 gang. It gets his base all riled up against Latinos and chanting build the wall. But facts are more Latinos are trying to escape gun violence and forced gangs for teen boys in South American countries. The majority of Latinos favor rigid gun control and there's a reason for that. I've never owned a gun and neither has anyone in my family. I don't get the appeal.
I understand you posted this to prove someone wrong but the article and pointing out our areas and political association specifically opens up discussion past the initial reason behind it.

You’re talking from the outside looking in, I grew up on the worst neighborhoods that greatly contribute to the high crime rate in the areas that you pointed out in this article. Latino community is a completely different dynamic than majority Black rural areas in the south.

Gun laws, partisan political blame and even Trump is small percentage of a much bigger picture with a long history behind it.

I encourage you to watch the video that Jules posted. It does a good job breaking down the challenges with Black on Black crime and be open to seeing past your experience and proving someone wrong in this particular argument because the overall notion that this is party specific and making this about gun law debate is flawed.
I’m not trying to prove it wrong, it’s not wrong in my opinion. We can dismiss Trumps racist rantings to the most ignorant Americans at his rallies. We can dismiss whether it’s republicans or democrats who are not able to get it in control.
Or who can’t or won’t fix the reasons for so much gun violence.

But gun control can’t be dismissed and we can’t keep making excuses on why we can’t get rid of guns.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm

I told you before I was clarifying the misconception that a poster wrote about it being a blue state problem. We should address it as a country problem. And to look at countries that are successful in containing gun violence is a smart thing. It's common sense that a country with virtually no guns in homes have very little gun violence.

We will never know if removing guns from homes would have an impact because people in this country won't let go of their guns. Yes, criminals will always have guns and there will always be murder. But we don't need to be the murder capital of the wealthy democratic countries.

Trump loves to bring up the Latino gangs and the MS13 gang. It gets his base all riled up against Latinos and chanting build the wall. But facts are more Latinos are trying to escape gun violence and forced gangs for teen boys in South American countries. The majority of Latinos favor rigid gun control and there's a reason for that. I've never owned a gun and neither has anyone in my family. I don't get the appeal.
I understand you posted this to prove someone wrong but the article and pointing out our areas and political association specifically opens up discussion past the initial reason behind it.

You’re talking from the outside looking in, I grew up on the worst neighborhoods that greatly contribute to the high crime rate in the areas that you pointed out in this article. Latino community is a completely different dynamic than majority Black rural areas in the south.

Gun laws, partisan political blame and even Trump is small percentage of a much bigger picture with a long history behind it.

I encourage you to watch the video that Jules posted. It does a good job breaking down the challenges with Black on Black crime and be open to seeing past your experience and proving someone wrong in this particular argument because the overall notion that this is party specific and making this about gun law debate is flawed.
I’m not trying to prove it wrong, it’s not wrong in my opinion. We can dismiss Trumps racist rantings to the most ignorant Americans at his rallies. We can dismiss whether it’s republicans or democrats who are not able to get it in control.

But gun control can’t be dismissed and we can’t keep making excuses on why we can’t get rid of guns.
I taking about proving the person wrong that made that blue state comment to you. No one is dismissing gun laws or said that stricter laws would have no impact at all. And IDK why you keep bringing up Trump. I do not like him, I did not vote for him. Jackson, New Orleans and Baton Rouge did not vote for him either.

You’re not listening because you can’t see past your political views on gun laws and Donald Trump and it doesn’t fit your narrative. And that is also a part of the problem.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Chicago comes up in the conversation about gun violence specifically, not general homicide. Homicide can be from stabbing, strangulation, bludgeoning with a hammer or other blunt object. So no, we're not the leader.

Chicago is cited in relationship to gun violence specifically because Illinois is the only state that requires a special card, the FOID, in order to own a gun or even purchase ammo. Then there's a background check when you pick the gun up. You've already had one done in order to get the FOID card in the first place. Then there's a waiting period to pick up the gun. Then there are further age restrictions for pistols, handguns, long guns. Then there's magazine restrictions. Then there's restrictions on the types of guns we can buy. Then we can't have a slide made out of a certain material that will melt over 800 degrees. There was a complete ban on any fire arm ownership at all in the city limits until several years ago.

Even with all of that insane, painstaking detail and restrictions on the laws, we still have an outrageous amount of gun violence. The point being made is that gun control laws are ONLY going to impact those of us that actually follow the law. The law abiding citizens aren't the issue. We're not the ones firing at each other across the street in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Gun control will only leave US as sitting ducks. Especially now, with the police being ordered to stand down when there's unrest, we can no longer rely on the police to protect us.

Criminals, oddly enough, don't tend to comply with laws. It's the damndest thing!
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What's being allowed to happen in this country is EXACTLY the reason why there's a second amendment and exactly why we should be prepared to fight to the death to keep our bill of rights in place. The framers were smart men, and had already lived through a revolution.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:47 pm Chicago comes up in the conversation about gun violence specifically, not general homicide. Homicide can be from stabbing, strangulation, bludgeoning with a hammer or other blunt object. So no, we're not the leader.

Chicago is cited in relationship to gun violence specifically because Illinois is the only state that requires a special card, the FOID, in order to own a gun or even purchase ammo. Then there's a background check when you pick the gun up. You've already had one done in order to get the FOID card in the first place. Then there's a waiting period to pick up the gun. Then there are further age restrictions for pistols, handguns, long guns. Then there's magazine restrictions. Then there's restrictions on the types of guns we can buy. Then we can't have a slide made out of a certain material that will melt over 800 degrees. There was a complete ban on any fire arm ownership at all in the city limits until several years ago.

Even with all of that insane, painstaking detail and restrictions on the laws, we still have an outrageous amount of gun violence. The point being made is that gun control laws are ONLY going to impact those of us that actually follow the law. The law abiding citizens aren't the issue. We're not the ones firing at each other across the street in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Gun control will only leave US as sitting ducks. Especially now, with the police being ordered to stand down when there's unrest, we can no longer rely on the police to protect us.

Criminals, oddly enough, don't tend to comply with laws. It's the damndest thing!
Three more children murdered over the weekend in Chicago. I sat here and cried when they were showing their pics and names on the CBS news last night. 17 people killed over the weekend.

Tonight a little three year old girl was shot in the chest and is at Comer's Children's Hosp. They say she is stable.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:22 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:47 pm Chicago comes up in the conversation about gun violence specifically, not general homicide. Homicide can be from stabbing, strangulation, bludgeoning with a hammer or other blunt object. So no, we're not the leader.

Three more children murdered over the weekend in Chicago. I sat here and cried when they were showing their pics and names on the CBS news last night. 17 people killed over the weekend.

Tonight a little three year old girl was shot in the chest and is at Comer's Children's Hosp. They say she is stable.
It's honestly heartbreaking. I can't imagine how the parents of these children feel. Beetlejuice is all worried about people going to the park against her orders, which would be them "acting like criminals, so we'll treat you like criminals", but this happens on the daily. That just infuriated me watching her be all tough on people being out of their houses while this violence is a daily reality for much of her constituency.

She's all big and bad on the news going to the park to threaten kids playing basketball - she needs to be big and bad where it counts. But she won't. That might involve risk to herself. It's much safer for her to go mess with 10 year olds.

I shudder to see what the death count will be this weekend. Its going to be a big one - summer holidays are open season.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Snicker
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Makes me sick
No dream is too big. No challenge is too great. Nothing we want for our future is beyond our reach.

Donald Trump
[/
font]
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:53 pm

What's being allowed to happen in this country is EXACTLY the reason why there's a second amendment and exactly why we should be prepared to fight to the death to keep our bill of rights in place. The framers were smart men, and had already lived through a revolution.
How long are people going to be using the 1700’s to discuss the problems of today. The founding fathers owned slaves and believed that people with pale skin were superior. They weren’t some gods who could see 200 years into the future.

Nothing is happening today that’s any different than 50 years ago except mass shootings. And way too many gun owners waving them around.
Snicker
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:53 pm

How long are people going to be using the 1700’s to discuss the problems of today. The founding fathers owned slaves and believed that people with pale skin were superior. They weren’t some gods who could see 200 years into the future.

Nothing is happening today that’s any different than 50 years ago except mass shootings. And way too many gun owners waving them around.
Wait then the BLM is crazy with reparations and bringing what happened before Civil rights was enacted?
No dream is too big. No challenge is too great. Nothing we want for our future is beyond our reach.

Donald Trump
[/
font]
Locked Previous topicNext topic