Murder rate by state

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:13 am
Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:33 am
DSamuels wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:55 am

But your article is about the homicide rate and doesn’t mention guns at all. So it doesn’t show what you are claiming.
The statistics are pretty much the same whichever way you look at it. Violent crimes are more prevalent in red states and so is gun violence violence and gun murder rates. Have you found information that claims differently?
Jackson, Baton Rouge and NOLA are majority Black cities that are notoriously Blue. The issue with violence has more to do with poverty, lack of educational resources, fall out from the racial past and environment that everyone seems to love shaming us for.

The streets will always have a means to bypass gun laws and it won’t fix the root of the problem that facilitates a survival of the fittest environment.

It’s not as simple as these are Republican states with lenient gun laws.
I just watched a video by Phil Vischer, aka Bob the Tomato (Veggie Tales), called Race in America. I’m going to make a post of it’s own, but it goes over many of the issues you’ve mentioned.

I agree with much of what you said as well. Of course, I think tougher gun laws and enforcing the ones already on the books would help, but I believe it is more complex than just having guns. Our violence and crime issues in the US are multifaceted and need to be addressed in that way.
Snicker
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

But your article is about the homicide rate and doesn’t mention guns at all. So it doesn’t show what you are claiming.
The statistics are pretty much the same whichever way you look at it. Violent crimes are more prevalent in red states and so is gun violence violence and gun murder rates. Have you found information that claims differently?
Jackson, Baton Rouge and NOLA are majority Black cities that are notoriously Blue. The issue with violence has more to do with poverty, lack of educational resources, fall out from the racial past and environment that everyone seems to love shaming us for.

The streets will always have a means to bypass gun laws and it won’t fix the root of the problem that facilitates a survival of the fittest environment.

Yes
No dream is too big. No challenge is too great. Nothing we want for our future is beyond our reach.

Donald Trump
[/
font]
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I know. I said it’s an American problem having to do with poverty inequality education plus many more factors. A unique American problem, however, is excessive guns. Other countries have worse poverty and racism without the gun violence.

But you can’t rule out lenient gun laws as one of many reasons for more gun violence in red states.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:26 pm

I know. I said it’s an American problem having to do with poverty inequality education plus many more factors. A unique American problem, however, is excessive guns. Other countries have worse poverty and racism without the gun violence.

But you can’t rule out lenient gun laws as one of many reasons for more gun violence in red states.
Blue cities in red states if you’d like to keep emphasizing political party. Calling out the elephant in the room, I don’t care about what other countries do if you’re saying that’s no excuse for Black on Black crime since that’s what we are talking about or downplay what I’m telling you because it’s not fitting the gun law argument.

I support stricter gun laws in the south, so I don’t completely rule it out. But it doesn’t have as big of a impact as people make it out to be to fuss about gun laws and political parties. Bottom line, most of these crimes aren’t committed with legally obtained firearm and stricter laws won’t have enough of an impact to make us the poster child for gun laws.

I know mass shooters won’t fit the red state narrative but they would make a better candidate since more of those crimes are committed by people who legally obtain fire arm, not us.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:34 am

I just watched a video by Phil Vischer, aka Bob the Tomato (Veggie Tales), called Race in America. I’m going to make a post of it’s own, but it goes over many of the issues you’ve mentioned.

I agree with much of what you said as well. Of course, I think tougher gun laws and enforcing the ones already on the books would help, but I believe it is more complex than just having guns. Our violence and crime issues in the US are multifaceted and need to be addressed in that way.
I’ll check it out! I agree. I support stricter gun laws too, especially when it comes to accountability for negligent owners but it has its place KWIM? My family came out of the worst neighborhoods in these cities and it’s way more complex then the gun law debate.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:38 pm

I’ll check it out! I agree. I support stricter gun laws too, especially when it comes to accountability for negligent owners but it has its place KWIM? My family came out of the worst neighborhoods in these cities and it’s way more complex then the gun law debate.
It's a really good video. I found it incredibly clear and informative - great for adults but would also be good for tweens/teens.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:19 pm

Blue cities in red states if you’d like to keep emphasizing political party. Calling out the elephant in the room, I don’t care about what other countries do if you’re saying that’s no excuse for Black on Black crime since that’s what we are talking about or downplay what I’m telling you because it’s not fitting the gun law argument.

I support stricter gun laws in the south, so I don’t completely rule it out. But it doesn’t have as big of a impact as people make it out to be to fuss about gun laws and political parties. Bottom line, most of these crimes aren’t committed with legally obtained firearm and stricter laws won’t have enough of an impact to make us the poster child for gun laws.

I know mass shooters won’t fit the red state narrative but they would make a better candidate since more of those crimes are committed by people who legally obtain fire arm, not us.
I told you before I was clarifying the misconception that a poster wrote about it being a blue state problem. We should address it as a country problem. And to look at countries that are successful in containing gun violence is a smart thing. It's common sense that a country with virtually no guns in homes have very little gun violence.

We will never know if removing guns from homes would have an impact because people in this country won't let go of their guns. Yes, criminals will always have guns and there will always be murder. But we don't need to be the murder capital of the wealthy democratic countries.

Trump loves to bring up the Latino gangs and the MS13 gang. It gets his base all riled up against Latinos and chanting build the wall. But facts are more Latinos are trying to escape gun violence and forced gangs for teen boys in South American countries. The majority of Latinos favor rigid gun control and there's a reason for that. I've never owned a gun and neither has anyone in my family. I don't get the appeal.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Like why our country is so violent?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:32 pm

I told you before I was clarifying the misconception that a poster wrote about it being a blue state problem. We should address it as a country problem. And to look at countries that are successful in containing gun violence is a smart thing. It's common sense that a country with virtually no guns in homes have very little gun violence.

We will never know if removing guns from homes would have an impact because people in this country won't let go of their guns. Yes, criminals will always have guns and there will always be murder. But we don't need to be the murder capital of the wealthy democratic countries.

Trump loves to bring up the Latino gangs and the MS13 gang. It gets his base all riled up against Latinos and chanting build the wall. But facts are more Latinos are trying to escape gun violence and forced gangs for teen boys in South American countries. The majority of Latinos favor rigid gun control and there's a reason for that. I've never owned a gun and neither has anyone in my family. I don't get the appeal.
I understand you posted this to prove someone wrong but the article and pointing out our areas and political association specifically opens up discussion past the initial reason behind it.

You’re talking from the outside looking in, I grew up on the worst neighborhoods that greatly contribute to the high crime rate in the areas that you pointed out in this article. Latino community is a completely different dynamic than majority Black rural areas in the south.

Gun laws, partisan political blame and even Trump is small percentage of a much bigger picture with a long history behind it.

I encourage you to watch the video that Jules posted. It does a good job breaking down the challenges with Black on Black crime and be open to seeing past your experience and proving someone wrong in this particular argument because the overall notion that this is party specific and making this about gun law debate is flawed.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:32 pm

You've really lost it, lemmings. You mention the MS13 gangs as if they are insignificant out of one side of your mouth, then you pronounce that in fact Latinos favor rigid gun control out of the other side of your mouth. MS13 is one of the most dangerous gangs in the world.

Oh, yea, many of those poor Latinos whom Obama let waltz into our country illegally by the thousands in those caravans weren't escaping gangs, they are the gangs. And those that weren't already in the gang ended up in the gang any way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic