Those who do a frugal Christmas

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I just find that incredibly sad. For me it negates the whole meaning of "Santa".
Msprekteacher wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 pm From the time the boys were born we told them every family sends Santa $$ for their family gifts and one families budget may be higher than another’s. So that started them understanding that even Santa has a budget.

We set a reasonable budget of $300 for each boy and stick to it. They make a list and know they won’t get everything on it.

I check all avenues for the best price and buy where it’s least expensive.

We are also blessed with LARGE families so even though we don’t spend a mortgage payment on gifts they are spoiled! My father in law for example asks for gift ideas between $50-$100 and will buy 3. My SIL has no kids so she spoils the boys and our niece. On my side they are 1 of 7 so the tree at my folks is packed too.

Just remember come January they have no clue how many presents were under the tree much less where those presents are!
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We spend $150 per child and that's plenty for our kids. Our rules are stay in budget, they don't need every single things they ask for, and we don't get things unless we think the kids will really like and use them, no filler junk no matter how cheap it is. This is what we got the kids this year, the smaller things will go in stockings along with a few chocolates and an orange. They always have a great Christmas.
nine year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.09 PM.png
eight year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.17 PM.png
six year old daughter-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.24 PM.png
three year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.31 PM.png
one year old son-
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.16.38 PM.png
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

On the lean years, whether by choice or circumstance, I worry that it’s not enough, and every time it is more then enough. I find I am the one who worries and frets, my kids are always happy with what they get, big or small.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I think I understand where you are coming from. I am not frugal either. Nor am I bragging about my spending.

I think it is really tough to be frugal around the holidays, when you have spoiled kids. And my kids are TOTALLY materially spoiled by the time they hit school-age. They get items all year long, so although my kids have manners and would say, "thank you, I love it" for a roll of toilet paper -- to get an authentic "I love it" for a $50 gift & a cheaper-filled stocking, imo, we'd have to detox them & "deprive" during the year. No toys, no candy, bare necessities of clothes, etc. So when Xmas rolled around, a sweatshirt, some candy and special markers would seem special. Since our family doesn't do that, we have to give much bigger gifts to fulfill wants, as they have all the "cheaper stuff" already, does that make sense?

So that would be my hypothetical advice: Spend less on the children all year long, so a cheaper Xmas gifts would be more wanted...
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I see Keith Haring AND a red panda. I think your 3 year old and I must be kindred spirits. :D

Do you just leave the stockings somewhat empty? When I fill a stocking, I REALLY fill it. Maybe that's part of my problem. (Nevermind, skipped over the part about the oranges and chocolates, I see it now!)
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:12 pm We spend $150 per child and that's plenty for our kids. Our rules are stay in budget, they don't need every single things they ask for, and we don't get things unless we think the kids will really like and use them, no filler junk no matter how cheap it is. This is what we got the kids this year, the smaller things will go in stockings along with a few chocolates and an orange. They always have a great Christmas.
nine year old son-
eight year old son-
six year old daughter-
three year old son-
one year old son-
Anonymous 5

Unread post

My kids have oranges in the fridge every day. This would seem like such a weird thing for them on Xmas morning. :lol:
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:18 pm I see Keith Haring AND a red panda. I think your 3 year old and I must be kindred spirits. :D

Do you just leave the stockings somewhat empty? When I fill a stocking, I REALLY fill it. Maybe that's part of my problem. (Nevermind, skipped over the part about the oranges and chocolates, I see it now!)
Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:12 pm We spend $150 per child and that's plenty for our kids. Our rules are stay in budget, they don't need every single things they ask for, and we don't get things unless we think the kids will really like and use them, no filler junk no matter how cheap it is. This is what we got the kids this year, the smaller things will go in stockings along with a few chocolates and an orange. They always have a great Christmas.
nine year old son-
eight year old son-
six year old daughter-
three year old son-
one year old son-
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Thank you! I've had some lean years not by choice, and I remember stressing too, but it was during the Play Doh stage and Play Doh is cheap, so we still ended up with a decent amount under the tree. It seems like kids outgrow cheap toys fairly early, so I'm still not sure what I would have done for an older child.
LuckyEightWow wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:14 pm On the lean years, whether by choice or circumstance, I worry that it’s not enough, and every time it is more then enough. I find I am the one who worries and frets, my kids are always happy with what they get, big or small.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yes! That sort of makes sense! It got me thinking and even though my kids are grateful, they're also spoiled. So while they would be thankful and happy with more frugal gifts, I think I just wouldn't enjoy it as much, because I really want to "wow" them! I guess others don't go for the wow factor as much.
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 pm I think I understand where you are coming from. I am not frugal either. Nor am I bragging about my spending.

I think it is really tough to be frugal around the holidays, when you have spoiled kids. And my kids are TOTALLY materially spoiled by the time they hit school-age. They get items all year long, so although my kids have manners and would say, "thank you, I love it" for a roll of toilet paper -- to get an authentic "I love it" for a $50 gift & a cheaper-filled stocking, imo, we'd have to detox them & "deprive" during the year. No toys, no candy, bare necessities of clothes, etc. So when Xmas rolled around, a sweatshirt, some candy and special markers would seem special. Since our family doesn't do that, we have to give much bigger gifts to fulfill wants, as they have all the "cheaper stuff" already, does that make sense?

So that would be my hypothetical advice: Spend less on the children all year long, so a cheaper Xmas gifts would be more wanted...
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Same! We got apples & oranges in our stockings growing up, but we rarely had them in the house otherwise.
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:20 pm My kids have oranges in the fridge every day. This would seem like such a weird thing for them on Xmas morning. :lol:
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:18 pm I see Keith Haring AND a red panda. I think your 3 year old and I must be kindred spirits. :D

nine year old son-
eight year old son-
six year old daughter-
three year old son-
one year old son-
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They get one or two of their smaller sized gifts in their stocking, but the orange and chocolates. It's not full, but we think that's okay. If we filled it, we'd end up buying lots of junky nicknacks that they just don't need.

nine year old son-
eight year old son-
six year old daughter-
three year old son-
one year old son-
Locked Previous topicNext topic