How is the jungle book racist?

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't know about the cartoon since I've not seen it in 40 years. I would imagine the original book is since Kipling was very pro British. In those days they were occupying India. You can get a better sense of that if you read his poem about Gunga Dinn. So I'm sure there are racist or ethnic overtones in the book. Now the movie like I said Idk. I think it sucks compared to the story so I refuse to watch it.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

People do not realize how subtle messages actually impact our unconscious thoughts & reactions to others.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t remember. I watched a YouTube video that touched on why but didn’t retain it because I don’t care.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Everything is racist or some kind of -ist/ism. I dont pay any attention. Shits getting out of hand. Too many pansies. And the majority of the people offended by these things dont even have a dog in the fight. They're usually some loud mouth overly sheltered white chick who has never experienced racism in their life. But they think it makes them look good to be the first to shout out some kind of social injustice.
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The monkeys are caricatures of black folks and reinforce stereotypical ideas.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

King Louie sings jazz and scats. Definitely patterned after and imitates blacks. King Louie sounds like it could be Louis Armstrong or another black jazz musician. But the voice was done by white Italian jazz musician Louis Prima. And the rest of the characters are caricatures of blacks.

Anonymous 6

Unread post

I just asked all of my black coworkers, even showed a few of them the video pink posted, and they all looked at me like I have 3 heads.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

King Louie is a redhead... How is he in any way or form a representation of black people? 😂
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am I just watched it with DS4 for the first time in years. As a child I didn't really pick up on it, but I also grew up on Speedy Gonzalez, the Siamese cats in Lady & the Tramp, and the original lyrics to songs in Aladdin and never thought anything of those, either. Just because kids don't get it doesn't mean it's not there.

But yeah, watching King Louie made me a bit uncomfortable. The apes were clearly intended to represent black people. Associating black people with apes was common slur in the 60s (still is). They are physically described in the same way blacks were, they were voiced to sound like black characters, their song is very clearly intended to depict black music, etc. It's not subtle.

The whole movie is a message about staying with your own kind. Also not subtle.
Seems to me like looking way too deeply into something that's simply meant to be kids' entertainment.
Locked Previous topicNext topic