Unreal! About half of millennials and 75 percent of Gen Zers have quit their jobs for mental health reasons!!!

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Fourmonkeys
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:06 pm Is it unreal? Boomers and traditionalists were way more likely to have loyalty to a company (likely because companies were historically more loyal to their employees), while millennials and Gen Zers are more likely to value work/life balance and often don’t take jobs anticipating they’ll spend years or an entire career there.

Like, John Smith might have toughed out an entry level role in a terrible work environment at Company XYZ sixty years ago anticipating he’d spend a career making a middle class salary there. If a millennial or Gen Zer can find a comparable entry level role at a comparable company with a better work environment when they didn’t anticipate on working at either forever anyway, they’re more likely to move than Boomers or Traditionalists were. It’s a generational difference but not necessarily a bad thing.
I read once that Baby Boomers were more likely to leave their job than the previous generations because their working years saw the rise in mergers and layoffs, as well as the switch from pensions to 401ks as the main source of retirement income. But that was the difference between having eight jobs through their lives and having the one job you kept until you retired and they gave you a watch.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Why else would someone quit a job?
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:21 pm Why else would someone quit a job?
You can’t think of any reasons someone might quit other than because it’s negatively impacting them emotionally?

I’ve quit like 9 jobs, none because they are toxic or damaging to me in any way.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Remember mental health coverage didn't start until the ACA. Not too many people could afford to pay $100-$200 to a therapist once or twice a week, prior to millennials and gen zers hitting the job market. It's still hard to find a therapist that participates in your insurance but that's better than zero like it was before Obama Care.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:32 pm
You can’t think of any reasons someone might quit other than because it’s negatively impacting them emotionally?

I’ve quit like 9 jobs, none because they are toxic or damaging to me in any way.
In a way they were all damaging to you in some way or you wouldn't have quit. Either you were unhappy with the work. Or the commute, or maybe you didn't see a future there or whatever reason.
We quit jobs because its the right thing to do for ourselves.
We don't quit jobs that we're happy and flourishing at do we? We quit for something better.
I think its a bit much to call it mental health issues like in the article but like I said above, we don't quit for no reason. And taking care of ourselves
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:45 pm

In a way they were all damaging to you in some way or you wouldn't have quit. Either you were unhappy with the work. Or the commute, or maybe you didn't see a future there or whatever reason.
We don't quit jobs that we're happy and flourishing at do we? We quit for something better.
I think its a bit much to call it mental health issues like in the article but like I said above, we don't quit for no reason. And taking care of ourselves
No, that’s not even remotely true. Something doesn’t have to be bad in order for something else to be better. You don’t have to be unhappy in order to get happier.

Regardless, I’ve only quit one job in favor of another. Between moves, starting and graduating from college, and having kids, life changes have meant job changes plenty of times. Unless you want to argue that “it would hurt your mental health to commute 2000 miles each way, so it was a mental health reason” or that “leaving your newborn home alone because you have no daycare options would make you unhappy, so it was a mental health reason.”

I’m not saying that I WOULDN’T quit a job that was making me unhappy, I’m saying that there are plenty of other reasons aside from being unhappy.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

As the parent of a Gen Z'er who has both mental health (anxiety, panic, eating disorders she's currently recovering from, and major depressive disorder) along with recently diagnosed physical health issues (Chiari Malformation and a 6 mm lesion found on the right frontal lobe of her brain), I can assure that this is very real reality and honestly an understandable one, too.

Now I can tell you that with our daughter, her physical health issues only raises the mental health ones, too.

She wants to work so badly. Our hearts break for her because right now, her concentration is on getting well to the best of her ability with both her physical and mental health. She's taken great strides compared to nearly a year ago when my husband was in the hospital for 9 days having been diagnosed with congestive heart failure among other physical health problems. He's doing better, too, which helps her.

Other generations before these ones may have plugged away, but often would ignore (or were ignored by others) anything that seemed 'off' in order to continue doing that plugging away. In return, their mental well-being was compromised.
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm a Gen Xer and I recently quit for my mental health. My new manager decided it was important to bitch at me every single Monday since she took the position. My cat passed on Sunday and I didnt feel like another bitching, so I noped the f**k right outta there. (There were other issues too.)
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
Deleted User 172

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:16 pm
Dylexsmommy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:45 pm

No, that’s not even remotely true. Something doesn’t have to be bad in order for something else to be better. You don’t have to be unhappy in order to get happier.

Regardless, I’ve only quit one job in favor of another. Between moves, starting and graduating from college, and having kids, life changes have meant job changes plenty of times. Unless you want to argue that “it would hurt your mental health to commute 2000 miles each way, so it was a mental health reason” or that “leaving your newborn home alone because you have no daycare options would make you unhappy, so it was a mental health reason.”

I’m not saying that I WOULDN’T quit a job that was making me unhappy, I’m saying that there are plenty of other reasons aside from being unhappy.
Ok. We'll just have to agree to disagree. It may not be a mental health reason like is being said in the article but it is to maintain your wellbeing regardless of what the reason is.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't know my generation's label. (I was born in 1966) but I've had jobs that made me so anxious I vomited before I went to them. As long as they seek other employment who cares if they leave a job?
Locked Previous topicNext topic