Any hikers?

That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My husband and I somehow or other decided to take up hiking this summer and we are really enjoying it! So far, we've hiked on almost every trail at the local parks with the exception of about 3 or four. We're hoping to keep it going through the winter but it gets really nasty here at times so we probably won't be doing much in the upcoming months.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Love hiking, and mostly do it in fall and winter. In the summer I like to kayak, swim and bike. I joined a regional "meet up" group that leads hikes in our state and county parks, and also in some towns.

It's nice to go with a group and try more remote places that I wouldn't go on my own. I like the 4-6 mile hikes, though the group offers much longer trails as well. Winter hikes are great. Once you are walking you don't really feel the cold, and you can see a lot more of the area and wildlife when the trees shed their leaves.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:12 pm Love hiking, and mostly do it in fall and winter. In the summer I like to kayak, swim and bike. I joined a regional "meet up" group that leads hikes in our state and county parks, and also in some towns.

It's nice to go with a group and try more remote places that I wouldn't go on my own. I like the 4-6 mile hikes, though the group offers much longer trails as well. Winter hikes are great. Once you are walking you don't really feel the cold, and you can see a lot more of the area and wildlife when the trees shed their leaves.
So far, our longest hike was this morning, 3 miles. We're trying to build up to longer, more challenging hikes.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MeAF wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:12 pm Love hiking, and mostly do it in fall and winter. In the summer I like to kayak, swim and bike. I joined a regional "meet up" group that leads hikes in our state and county parks, and also in some towns.

So far, our longest hike was this morning, 3 miles. We're trying to build up to longer, more challenging hikes.
3 miles is what I do if walking with a friend around town, or on the beach. Going with the group on a planned trail and seeing new places gives you more incentive to go longer. It's all good - good to be outdoors, good to keep your stamina up, good to appreciate nature.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:32 pm

3 miles is what I do if walking with a friend around town, or on the beach. Going with the group on a planned trail and seeing new places gives you more incentive to go longer. It's all good - good to be outdoors, good to keep your stamina up, good to appreciate nature.
It's good stress relief! Yesterday, we were both feeling down and my anxiety was pinging because I had a mammogram this morning. My husband suggested that we go for a hike last night after dinner and we both felt so much better afterwards! We saw a doe on the trail a few times. I've never been much of an outdoorsy person but I'm really getting into the hiking thing. Do you have any recommendations for cold weather clothes that are not bulky and don't cost an arm and a leg? I bought a pair of boots last week for when the weather turns cold and some wool socks.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MeAF wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:05 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:32 pm
It's good stress relief! Yesterday, we were both feeling down and my anxiety was pinging because I had a mammogram this morning. My husband suggested that we go for a hike last night after dinner and we both felt so much better afterwards! We saw a doe on the trail a few times. I've never been much of an outdoorsy person but I'm really getting into the hiking thing. Do you have any recommendations for cold weather clothes that are not bulky and don't cost an arm and a leg? I bought a pair of boots last week for when the weather turns cold and some wool socks.
Keeping your feet and head warm makes all the difference. Make sure you have a pull on hat or ear band with you to layer up in the cold. Wool socks are a great investment. They keep you warmer even if they get wet from rain or snow. I have many pair in different thicknesses. I also like thin silk tops to wear as an under layer. We have an REI store nearby, and their own brand of clothing is very good and less costly than the name brands.
Locked Previous topicNext topic