DD is telling lies again

Anonymous 2

Unread post

What would be wrong if you did leave her alone while you ran errands and grocery shopped. 11 is old enough to be home alone for a bit. I would tell her counselor about the lying
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Are you able to get into contact with the counsellor again? Maybe they can give you some strategies to help you deal with it at home. Other than that, I guess just find a suitable punishment every time she lies..
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:38 pm She was good for awhile once we got her into counseling for her lies and other behaviors. But today a lie came out of the blue.

She told my Mom we leave her alone "all the time" while we grocery shop and run errands.

This is not even a tiny bit true. We have never ever left her home alone. Ever. Not even once. I don't know where she came up with this. When we asked why my Mom said that she said my Mom is lying.

Wwyd? She is 11 for the record.
She would write out "I will not lie ever to anyone else ever again" 1000 times each and every time she does it. That's completely unacceptable and in addition to writing sentences, she would be my house cleaner for the foreseeable future
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Honestly, whether it was true or it was a lie, I wouldn't care if my 11yo told someone that I left him alone while I grocery shopped and did errands. Not a big deal.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

It’s a dumb lie but who cares if she was home while you were at the store. She’s old enough so her lie doesn’t help her in any way.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:50 pm Honestly, whether it was true or it was a lie, I wouldn't care if my 11yo told someone that I left him alone while I grocery shopped and did errands. Not a big deal.

Normally yes. But she has proven she is not mature enough. I was cutting grass and she opened the door to a salesperson and told him I was out back. She's been told to never open the door without us there and she did it anyways.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

That may be true. But her telling your mom that she was left home alone when in fact she wasn't is really not that big of a deal. I'd let this one go.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:19 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:50 pm Honestly, whether it was true or it was a lie, I wouldn't care if my 11yo told someone that I left him alone while I grocery shopped and did errands. Not a big deal.

Normally yes. But she has proven she is not mature enough. I was cutting grass and she opened the door to a salesperson and told him I was out back. She's been told to never open the door without us there and she did it anyways.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:42 pm What would be wrong if you did leave her alone while you ran errands and grocery shopped. 11 is old enough to be home alone for a bit. I would tell her counselor about the lying
Not every 11 year old can be left alone, it’s a judgment call. Plus not every neighborhood is safe to leave a child alone.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This. If ods told my mother I left him alone she'd say, "okay, and? " I was a latch key kid at that age. As far as lying I verified every damn thing ds told me. If he said the sky was blue I verified it. He hated that so he stopped lying.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Exactly.

It could very well be that OP's daughter has learned that LYING gets her ATTENTION. She ought to try IGNORING the lying. Give it no attention whatsoever. I'd be willing to bet that if OP focuses on the GOOD behavior and ignores the stupid little lies, the stupid little lies may very well STOP. It would certainly be worth a try.
Pjmm wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:19 pm
This. If ods told my mother I left him alone she'd say, "okay, and? " I was a latch key kid at that age. As far as lying I verified every damn thing ds told me. If he said the sky was blue I verified it. He hated that so he stopped lying.
Locked Previous topicNext topic