Would you be mad if your 16 year old got a passport behind your back?

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:15 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm

I just dont understand why she would feel the need to hide it. I would have had no problem if she said she wanted to go get one. She did it so I wouldnt know, even she said that.

On the actual form you can sign it if you are 16+ on your own without any parents. It might not be accepted though
Because she was afraid you'd make a big deal out of it ... which you are ... hence this post.
I was wondering if people would be mad. How is feeling the whole thing is odd and keeping an eye on her making a big deal about it? It is weird she would rather have the passport on her instead of in the safe. If she isnt using it until the weekend why does it have to be on her right now? You dont think that is weird?
I don't. She seems independent based on her going through the process successfully on her own. She's probably fairly capable for her age I'm guessing? I'm sure it makes her feel mature and more independent to hang on to it. More of a "big kid". Now's when they start to spread their wings so to speak.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:08 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:55 am Look at the actual form
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am For applicants Aged 16 and 17...

4. Show Parental Awareness
If you have your own current identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport. You must show at least one parent or guardian knows that you are applying for a passport. Your passport application may be denied if we have received written objection from one of your parents or legal guardians. For more information, please see Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program.

How to Show Parental Awareness:

A parent or legal guardian appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport. The agent or employee accepting the application will ask your parent or legal guardian to sign Form DS-11.
A signed, notarized statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent or legal guardian (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... 16-17.html

I'm looking at the actual form. I don't see anywhere that says it is recommended but not required on the actual form- it says that on the website. It also says that it is up to the agent- some agents may accept it without parental awareness, others may not.

I think it's bizarre that a kid would do this without their parent's knowledge or even a simple conversation. "Hey, look mom, I figured out how to get my passport all on my own!"

I would be thrilled my child was so independent. I don't see this as going behind your back. I do see it as sort of a secret. I would just have a conversation with her about keeping me in the loop with major life events, decisions, paperwork, etc., because it's the right thing and the safest thing to do.
Very well said!

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:15 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm

I just dont understand why she would feel the need to hide it. I would have had no problem if she said she wanted to go get one. She did it so I wouldnt know, even she said that.

On the actual form you can sign it if you are 16+ on your own without any parents. It might not be accepted though
Because she was afraid you'd make a big deal out of it ... which you are ... hence this post.
I was wondering if people would be mad. How is feeling the whole thing is odd and keeping an eye on her making a big deal about it? It is weird she would rather have the passport on her instead of in the safe. If she isnt using it until the weekend why does it have to be on her right now? You dont think that is weird?
It's not odd. It's sneaky.
AnnOhn
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Just tell her that she can’t go to Canada and that you will be holding on to her passport. She is a minor. She doesn’t get to call the playbook.
J&M Mom
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:21 pm I just looked up my state about getting a passport just to have one in case and nevermind! It would cost almost $400. Screw that. I am only paying that if I am for sure going to use it
Is $400 for your whole family?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Most likely it is... It is around $110 per adult and $80 per child for brand new passports. Renewals are the same price. I had to renew mine and both of my girls' in 2016 before we went to China and it cost $300+.

J&M Mom wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:34 am
RedBottoms wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:21 pm I just looked up my state about getting a passport just to have one in case and nevermind! It would cost almost $400. Screw that. I am only paying that if I am for sure going to use it
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
J&M Mom
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:41 am Most likely it is... It is around $110 per adult and $80 per child for brand new passports. Renewals are the same price. I had to renew mine and both of my girls' in 2016 before we went to China and it cost $300+.

That’s what I assumed. I’m buying my daughter’s passport and it’s $110 plus $35 (I think) application fee. I’m just confused why she said for her state since it’s not a state thing.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:41 am Most likely it is... It is around $110 per adult and $80 per child for brand new passports. Renewals are the same price. I had to renew mine and both of my girls' in 2016 before we went to China and it cost $300+.

That's what we paid when we got our passports a couple of years. All 4 of us got one.
Bakingmomma
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Hmmmm, I'm not sure how I'd feel. I'd not stop my kids from getting passports, so the sneaking around would be troubling to me. I was unaware a minor could get a passport without a parents permission.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Very few things make me mad. This isn’t one of them
Locked Previous topicNext topic