The soda habit

MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We used to drink more than a person should have. Now it's very rare. I can bring it into the house, and it will sit for a long time before being consumed. I love sparkling mineral water. So I can have water, and get the carbonation both. Granted tonight's dinner will be using root beer.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 16

Unread post

Soda, fruit juice and milk are all loaded with sugar. Are you trolling?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:13 pm I don’t usually buy soda for the house unless we are entertaining. On average they maybe have a glass a couple times a month when we go out to dinner.

What else do they drink daily and how old are they?
Fruit juice and milk are favorites too, and they drink water of course. They're 8, 10 and 13, all girls.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My youngest probably has it once a week. The other 3 stopped awhile ago. I don’t buy it unless one of them has an upset stomach; then i’ll buy ginger ale.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:55 pm How much soda do your kids drink a day? I was talking to a mom the other day who doesn't even let it into her house due to 'too much sugar'.
I think that's going a bit far, but I am trying to cut back. My kids currently drink 2 or so cans a day at the moment, usually one with dinner and one later in the evening, but I'm trying to reduce it to just one can a day to get some weight off them.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:47 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:02 pm It's great that you are trying to cut back on it. I'd continue to bring home less and less of it until it's no longer in the house except for parties. Any amount of soda and juice that you can cut out will definitely help them to lose weight. Stick with it mama bear!
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:53 am

That's why I'm trying to cut back on how much they drink. All three of them are right at the top of end of the scale of weight for their age, so I'm obviously doing something wrong in how I feed them, lol.
Thanks! Not sure about completely eliminating it, but definitely going to try to get them down to one a day!
Just one a day is a lot for kids. If you are worried about their weight, you should cut down more than that.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thanks for this. I didn’t know appl juice has more sugar than Hawaiian Punch. As for iced tea, I drink half tea/half lemonade.
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 pm My 14yo doesn't like soda at all. But he got into a bad apple juice habit which has just as much sugar. So I push the water with him and let him have some Hawaiian Punch which actually has less sugar than the apple juice.

My 12yo loves soda and takes it medicinally at times. The caffeine helps with his ADHD. He takes a 12oz Mt Dew in his lunch each day - the caffeine boost helps stave off the headaches from his ADHD meds. Or if he just needs to calm his brain I let him have a can of soda. Otherwise if not for his brain I tell him to try to limit to one soda a day. And he has tried coffee in multiple forms to get the caffeine that way but he doesn't like it.

I myself have reduced down to one or two sodas a week. When I get tired of water I have gotten into unsweetened iced tea so I get some flavor without the sugar. I enjoy sweet tea but that shit is just as bad as soda if not worse. So I stick with unsweetened.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Maybe a few a month.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 16 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:24 pm Soda, fruit juice and milk are all loaded with sugar. Are you trolling?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:13 pm I don’t usually buy soda for the house unless we are entertaining. On average they maybe have a glass a couple times a month when we go out to dinner.

What else do they drink daily and how old are they?
Fruit juice and milk are favorites too, and they drink water of course. They're 8, 10 and 13, all girls.
Eh? I what world does milk have a lot of sugar? I know fruit juice is a little sugary, but it's healthy in other ways.
jocarpenter101
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:02 pm It's great that you are trying to cut back on it. I'd continue to bring home less and less of it until it's no longer in the house except for parties. Any amount of soda and juice that you can cut out will definitely help them to lose weight. Stick with it mama bear!

Thanks! Not sure about completely eliminating it, but definitely going to try to get them down to one a day!
Just one a day is a lot for kids. If you are worried about their weight, you should cut down more than that.
Do you think even one a day is that much? It's not that unhealthy, right?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:46 pm A day? Who gives their kids soda every day? I can't come up with how much exactly. They may have a soda when we go out to eat, which isn't that often. Or for special occasions and birthday parties. We don't keep it in the house. I haven't drunk a soda in 5 years.
It's not unusual to let kids drink soda every day, at least where I live. Lots of my daughters' friends drink a lot more than they do!
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jocarpenter101 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:19 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Do you think even one a day is that much? It's not that unhealthy, right?
I think that's a lot for a kid.
Locked Previous topicNext topic