Teenagers. Ughhh

mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’d allow my teen to do it. 🤷‍♀️I don’t see the big deal. If she doesn’t pay for something, she’ll have to face the consequences of it.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I wouldn't, but that is due to logistics.. If my children were not homeschooled, the school they would attend would be 5 miles away over an overpass so no walking for them to get there and I'm not battling traffic in order to drive right back home and then go back and get them a few minutes later.. nope, if I'm going, I'd be signing paperwork and paying fees while there. If it was a school they'd be walking to, I'd let them go on their own and bring me the documents.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If it was just picking up paper work and buying a t-shirt or two I would allow my kid to do it...Since there are fees involved I like to take care of that myself.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would be over the moon excited to have a child old enough to handle this on her own.

Why not look at the positive?
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

freshman? eh, maybe not. sophomore, junior, senior? "here's the money, please remember to bring back the forms."
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

So you don’t trust her?

I’d want to do it myself and just be done also so I get that, but that’s not all it really is otherwise you wouldn’t have thrown in not trusting her to pay her fees.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Send her with checks. This isn't rocket science. I've been giving my sons checks to pay for lunches or fees since fifth or sixth grade. But when I was a kid my mother used to send me to "gasp" pay her mortgage at the bank and the water bill. She wrote the check and I delivered it. So clutch your pearls.
I really think, me included, that we don't give our kids credit. They can do more than we think. Both my sons could take 200 dollars in a envelope to pay for fees.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Wouldn't you be writing checks anyway? Why not let her do it. That back to school shit gets old once they're in high school.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would let her go. My parents trusted me to take all my stuff back in 6th grade, and get the fees etc paid from the checks they had written. Kidlet would just be dropped with their friends, be there for a few hours. Then I'd pick up the gaggle.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

With my Freshman we had a day like that but they wanted the parents there. They gave us the forms when we got there, wanted us to fill them out and sign them there and then turn them in right away. They had "stations" set up that we went from one table to the next doing each thing - checking residency, checking vaccination records, getting schedule, paying fees, getting PE uniform, getting a student ID, etc, etc, etc. It just would not have worked well to do it without a parent there.

Then there was a different day, still before school started, that was Freshman Orientation and that was geared for just the kids themselves. So I just dropped him off and picked him up for that.

So my question would be - what does the school want/expect? Does the school expect parents to be there? If so I'd be telling my child "sorry but no, you can't do it alone, I have to be there with you".
Locked Previous topicNext topic