Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:58 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:09 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 am

I am was a little surprised that this child was only three to come out with that and just at that time. At that age they usually don't have the social cognition to recognize a social situation enough to react like that - then to react like that. But nonetheless, I took the original post on it's face value.

You are totally correct that a three year old has a short attention span. I believe the formula goes something like three to five minutes per age is a good estimate of attention span. I think from my own personal experience as a mom, a three year old needs to be punished almost right away if possible and any punishment shouldn't last more than half a day or the child just won't relate the punishment to their actions.

You are totally correct in your reply above.
My DD was saying things like that at 2.
I am not exaggerating, I wish I was.
Where did she get it from at age two? Other than the words themselves, if she used them with any social context that would show very good cognitive development. How old is she now? She must have developed a good talent for sarcasm at an early age. My oldest DD was like that.
Her brothers, shows like Princess Sophia, I guess. But she has had this odd innate verbal ability from a very young age.

She looked at my BIL, her uncle, who is a tall, obese gentleman, who was trying to pick her up at 2 1/2, and said in the child-like lisp, but teen like emphasis, “what kind of giant do you think you are? You are not going to pick me up *pause* you giant, giant” the whole family just stood there shocked, it was so rude, yet so shocking, she was just nearly a baby.

She is always testing out words. She stops videos about every 5-6 minutes to ask, “what does that word mean?”

Her newest milestone is understanding puns, so we have to try to talk about those — for example, she’ll bring me a flower, and say mom do you want to make a cake with my “flour”? And laugh and laugh and then pout when Her brothers and I do find her five year old humor as funny. So then she resorts to name calling and gets in trouble & the cycle continues all day!
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:58 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:09 am

My DD was saying things like that at 2.
I am not exaggerating, I wish I was.
Where did she get it from at age two? Other than the words themselves, if she used them with any social context that would show very good cognitive development. How old is she now? She must have developed a good talent for sarcasm at an early age. My oldest DD was like that.
Her brothers, shows like Princess Sophia, I guess. But she has had this odd innate verbal ability from a very young age.

She looked at my BIL, her uncle, who is a tall, obese gentleman, who was trying to pick her up at 2 1/2, and said in the child-like lisp, but teen like emphasis, “what kind of giant do you think you are? You are not going to pick me up *pause* you giant, giant” the whole family just stood there shocked, it was so rude, yet so shocking, she was just nearly a baby.

She is always testing out words. She stops videos about every 5-6 minutes to ask, “what does that word mean?”

Her newest milestone is understanding puns, so we have to try to talk about those — for example, she’ll bring me a flower, and say mom do you want to make a cake with my “flour”? And laugh and laugh and then pout when Her brothers and I do find her five year old humor as funny. So then she resorts to name calling and gets in trouble & the cycle continues all day!
My oldest was always witty, but her true sarcasm started about age eight into nine. By ten she had it down pat and would routinely use some very negative sarcasm when challenging me. She went through the Terrible Ten's with a fury. I remember once when I was attempting to reason with her and she handed me the kitchen broom. Stupid me, knowing full well what she was implying, just had to ask her what she meant. To my face, she told exactly what she was implying. Let's just say that her day did not turn out well for her. But I know what you mean about name calling, dark sarcasm, getting in trouble, then continuing cycles. She is much better now.

By the way, you are an excellent writer.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:58 am
Vegaswife2011 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:06 am
agander2017 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:58 am First he would be apologizing. Then he wouldn't get the sundae. In fact when we got home, we would be having a long talk about his behavior, and how he was losing tv for a month, and probably most of his toys.
Are you serious?!
Yes... you people are acting like I said I would beat him senseless. He's losing TV and some toys. It's not the end of the world. Good grief.
I’m talking about for a month.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:33 pm
Are you serious?!
Yes... you people are acting like I said I would beat him senseless. He's losing TV and some toys. It's not the end of the world. Good grief.
I gave up trying to explain to her why it's not appropriate to punish a 3 year old for a month. She's F***ing crazy if she thinks that's okay.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:55 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:43 am
agander2017 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:58 am First he would be apologizing. Then he wouldn't get the sundae. In fact when we got home, we would be having a long talk about his behavior, and how he was losing tv for a month, and probably most of his toys.

I sincerely hope you're saying that because you think, erroneously, that impresses us. Making a 3 year old lose tv for a month and most his toys would be unspeakably stupid.
I personally don't think it would. No, my child would be losing things he liked, because he needs to learn a lesson. Why would I want to impress you? I don't even know you.

You are lacking common sense if you think that's a suitable punishment for a three year old.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MeAF wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:38 pm

I gave up trying to explain to her why it's not appropriate to punish a 3 year old for a month. She's F***ing crazy if she thinks that's okay.
Agreed!
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 11 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:46 am
agander2017 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:57 am
MeAF wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:17 am

That's about as ridiculous as the troll on the front page who said she'd dump the sundae over his head. Overreact much?
It's not overreacting. He has to learn a lesson. How else do you teach a child these things? My son doesn't want TV much anyways, so he wouldn't be losing much. This kid is 3 years old. It's time for him to learn there are consequences to his actions.
Punishing a 3 year old for a month is ridiculous and overreacting.
I'm not punishing your kid. You punish yours how you want, and I'll do what I see fit.

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Are you serious?!
He doesn't watch that much TV anyways. So if he lost it for a month, it would only be a few hours that he was losing.

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:49 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:43 am

I sincerely hope you're saying that because you think, erroneously, that impresses us. Making a 3 year old lose tv for a month and most his toys would be unspeakably stupid.
I personally don't think it would. No, my child would be losing things he liked, because he needs to learn a lesson. Why would I want to impress you? I don't even know you.

You are lacking common sense if you think that's a suitable punishment for a three year old.
You punish your children how you see fit, and I'll punish mine the way I see fit. It's not a lack of common sense. It's how I feel the situation would be best handled. He doesn't get spanked. He doesn't get yelled at. He would lose toys and a few hours of TV. There is nothing wrong with that.

Anonymous 5

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:49 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:49 pm

You punish your children how you see fit, and I'll punish mine the way I see fit. It's not a lack of common sense. It's how I feel the situation would be best handled. He doesn't get spanked. He doesn't get yelled at. He would lose toys and a few hours of TV. There is nothing wrong with that.

It's good you don't spank him. That doesn't change the fact that a month long punishment for a three year old is not age appropriate. It shows both a lack of common sense and knowledge.
Locked Previous topicNext topic