Embarrassed

Anonymous 10

Unread post

I would've whooped his ass right there. When the waitress returned with the ice cream, he would be apologizing through his quiet tears, and I would eat the ice cream in front of him while explaining why he can't have any.

Bet he wouldn't try that disrespectful shit again. I'm old school. My kids don't even think about that nonsense.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:43 am
agander2017 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:58 am First he would be apologizing. Then he wouldn't get the sundae. In fact when we got home, we would be having a long talk about his behavior, and how he was losing tv for a month, and probably most of his toys.

I sincerely hope you're saying that because you think, erroneously, that impresses us. Making a 3 year old lose tv for a month and most his toys would be unspeakably stupid.
I personally don't think it would. No, my child would be losing things he liked, because he needs to learn a lesson. Why would I want to impress you? I don't even know you.

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MeAF wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:17 am
agander2017 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:58 am First he would be apologizing. Then he wouldn't get the sundae. In fact when we got home, we would be having a long talk about his behavior, and how he was losing tv for a month, and probably most of his toys.
That's about as ridiculous as the troll on the front page who said she'd dump the sundae over his head. Overreact much?
It's not overreacting. He has to learn a lesson. How else do you teach a child these things? My son doesn't want TV much anyways, so he wouldn't be losing much. This kid is 3 years old. It's time for him to learn there are consequences to his actions.

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:06 am
Are you serious?!
Yes... you people are acting like I said I would beat him senseless. He's losing TV and some toys. It's not the end of the world. Good grief.

agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:49 am
Wow there is something wrong with you. You need to take some parenting classes

Don't ever for a second think you are actually a good mom
Seriously?! Because I said he would lose tv and some toys? A 3 year old shouldn't be stuck in front of the TV anyways...

That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:57 am
That's about as ridiculous as the troll on the front page who said she'd dump the sundae over his head. Overreact much?
It's not overreacting. He has to learn a lesson. How else do you teach a child these things? My son doesn't want TV much anyways, so he wouldn't be losing much. This kid is 3 years old. It's time for him to learn there are consequences to his actions.
It's completely pointless to continue punishing a 3 year old who has the attention span of a gnat for a month! They're not going to make the connection between saying something rude and not being allowed to watch TV weeks later. You're in need of a parenting class if you think that punishing a 3 year old for that long is appropriate. We're not talking about a smart ass 12 year old who knows better. This is a young child who is still learning how to behave. Yes he needs to be taught that's not acceptable but you can get your point across with a shorter punishment. I feel sorry for your child if this is how you react whenever he misbehaves.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MeAF wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:36 am

It's completely pointless to continue punishing a 3 year old who has the attention span of a gnat for a month! They're not going to make the connection between saying something rude and not being allowed to watch TV weeks later. You're in need of a parenting class if you think that punishing a 3 year old for that long is appropriate. We're not talking about a smart ass 12 year old who knows better. This is a young child who is still learning how to behave. Yes he needs to be taught that's not acceptable but you can get your point across with a shorter punishment. I feel sorry for your child if this is how you react whenever he misbehaves.
Like I said, he doesn't watch TV much anyways, so at most he would be missing maybe 4-5 hours of TV for that month. I don't need a parenting class because I wouldn't allow him to sit in front of a TV. Which is possible where this child learned this behavior. He would be doing other activities and staying away from the TV. I see nothing wrong with this. My child isn't a couch potato, so I doubt he would miss the TV anyways.

Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:09 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 am
MeAF wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:46 pm
You don't think punishing a 3 YEAR OLD for a month is overkill? I'm going to assume that you missed that part of the comment because I don't know any normal person who thinks that punishing a 3 year old, who has the attention span of a gnat, for a solid month is a reasonable reaction. Should he be punished? Absolutely but not for a month. He's not even going to remember why he is still not allowed to watch TV a month later.
I am was a little surprised that this child was only three to come out with that and just at that time. At that age they usually don't have the social cognition to recognize a social situation enough to react like that - then to react like that. But nonetheless, I took the original post on it's face value.

You are totally correct that a three year old has a short attention span. I believe the formula goes something like three to five minutes per age is a good estimate of attention span. I think from my own personal experience as a mom, a three year old needs to be punished almost right away if possible and any punishment shouldn't last more than half a day or the child just won't relate the punishment to their actions.

You are totally correct in your reply above.
My DD was saying things like that at 2.
I am not exaggerating, I wish I was.
Where did she get it from at age two? Other than the words themselves, if she used them with any social context that would show very good cognitive development. How old is she now? She must have developed a good talent for sarcasm at an early age. My oldest DD was like that.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:49 am
Wow there is something wrong with you. You need to take some parenting classes

Don't ever for a second think you are actually a good mom
I think we are all good moms in some way and not as good in the eyes of others. I saw her post as a vent more than what would have actually followed through for a month. I have sent my child to her room and grounded her for life. "Life" ended up being two days - LOL!
Anonymous 11

Unread post

Punishing a 3 year old for a month is ridiculous and overreacting.
Locked Previous topicNext topic