Homeschooling: Say Something?

Iffrinn
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm Do you homeschool?
Iffrinn wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:48 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:31 pm She is the one who said she feels guilty and that DD is behind.

So, she has mom guilt. So do most mom's, homeschooling or not. She could very well mean that her child is behind in certain milestones that mom originally hoped to meet this year. That doesn't mean she's woefully behind in her overall education. Either way, it's still not your business. It's not your child, or even a family member. The child is healthy, safe, and very likely learning a lot, even if it's not what or how you think she should be learning.
Mind your own business.
I did, but my kids are in college now. Before homeschooling my own kids, I was an elementary school teacher for 8 years.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:16 pm
bmw29 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 pm Well....unschooling is a thing that some people do. It's not my favorite method but it does seem to work for some kids if they're motivated.
Doesn't sound like unschooling, sounds like lazy-assedness. She said she had a curriculum (which most homeschoolers DON'T), and is just not doing it. I get that sometimes things happen and you can fall behind a few days, or maybe a week or two, but it clearly sounds like she just hasn't bothered.
Where do you get your facts from? Most home schoolers don't have curuculum? It's required in my state you have to submit your curriculum to the state before you can homeschool. I wouldn't say most considering there are 49 other states besides yours that all have their own rules.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:31 pm I mean, sure. She can put baking soda on bug bites. I’m not sure that makes up for no curriculum for months.
ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 pm Ok... she then.
She is reading books that are teaching her life skills.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:25 pm The child remembered something from a book that she, the child, had read.

Do your kids go to school year round? Not everyone that home schools takes their breaks in the summer. Many people enjoy the flexibility. She has until fall to be caught up before you can say she's behind.
Emandab
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't homeschool for a reason. That's all I can say nicely.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Nope, I wouldnt say anything. I wouldnt want her to say anything about my parenting.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I figured.
Iffrinn wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm Do you homeschool?
Iffrinn wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:48 pm
So, she has mom guilt. So do most mom's, homeschooling or not. She could very well mean that her child is behind in certain milestones that mom originally hoped to meet this year. That doesn't mean she's woefully behind in her overall education. Either way, it's still not your business. It's not your child, or even a family member. The child is healthy, safe, and very likely learning a lot, even if it's not what or how you think she should be learning.
Mind your own business.
I did, but my kids are in college now. Before homeschooling my own kids, I was an elementary school teacher for 8 years.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

She said she’s behind, not me.
Anonymous 7 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:21 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:31 pm I mean, sure. She can put baking soda on bug bites. I’m not sure that makes up for no curriculum for months.
ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 pm Ok... she then.
She is reading books that are teaching her life skills.
Do your kids go to school year round? Not everyone that home schools takes their breaks in the summer. Many people enjoy the flexibility. She has until fall to be caught up before you can say she's behind.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I told you that the first year is that " Oh crap, what have I done year!" I also told you it is a learning curve that first year. I knew that you would be just fine after the first few months once y'all got into a rhythm.
Are you going to continue homeschooling or is he going back to school in the fall?

Danesmommy1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 pm I'm finishing up my first year homeschooling and it was really hard to find a groove at first. It was Halloween before I felt like I wasn't drowning and Christmas before I thought "Ok, maybe this isn't so bad," and Spring Break before I said "WE'VE GOT THIS!"

She may be struggling, but maybe she's not doing as badly as she feels (and expresses on FB) she is.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
PinkMartini
Villein
Villein

Unread post

No, I would not say anything. While I would disagree with her parenting choice/style, it is none of my business. This is between her, her children, and the state.
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:41 am I told you that the first year is that " Oh crap, what have I done year!" I also told you it is a learning curve that first year. I knew that you would be just fine after the first few months once y'all got into a rhythm.
Are you going to continue homeschooling or is he going back to school in the fall?

Danesmommy1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 pm I'm finishing up my first year homeschooling and it was really hard to find a groove at first. It was Halloween before I felt like I wasn't drowning and Christmas before I thought "Ok, maybe this isn't so bad," and Spring Break before I said "WE'VE GOT THIS!"

She may be struggling, but maybe she's not doing as badly as she feels (and expresses on FB) she is.
You did! You were so right, lol! We are going to continue homeschooling, I'm satisfied with how this year went and I think next year will go even more smoothly.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Locked Previous topicNext topic