Brake-checking

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Brake-checking: Where Driver B is following too closely for Driver A's comfort so Driver A taps the brakes in an effort to get Driver B to back off.

Have you had it done to you? Have you done it to others? Do you think it actually accomplishes anything to brake-check the person following too close?

I got brake-checked this morning. I was coming home after dropping the kids off at school. Driving down a residential road where the speed limit is 25mph. This lady was going 20mph, so yeah, I was following closer than I normally would because it seemed excessively slow to me. She brake-checked me 3 times in a matter of half a mile. I didn't change my distance at all. When she pulled into the double turn lane (suicide lane) to make her left turn I passed her and she yelled something at me. I couldn't make out what it was but I can only imagine. I honestly don't care what she said.

I'm wondering why people even do the whole brake-check thing. To me, it's just inviting more trouble. Ok, so I was following closer than she was comfortable. But I don't want to deal with an accident any more than she does so I'm still going to make sure I don't hit her. And if I do hit her it's completely my fault. What exactly does she accomplish by brake-checking me except perhaps creating more situations where I might hit her, and also possibly inciting a road rage incident. It accomplishes nothing positive. So why do it?
MuggleMama
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Why so close ?
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Stop tail gating and it wouldnt be an issue
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't brake check. But I hate tail gaters and if I have time to waste I might even slow down more until I can move over.
Anonymom*23/6/364
Regent
Regent

Unread post

On the other hand, why ride a person's ass like that?
What does it accomplish?
Nothing positive.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't brake check but if you tail gate me I drop my speed even lower.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You should've backed off. I hate people who ride my tail. My SO is a tail rider and we get yelled at and flicked off all the time when he's driving.
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm not going to risk a rear-end collision because someone is being an asshole. But you shouldn't tailgate because, well, it kind of makes you look like an asshole.
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Only to truckers on the highway. Not a good idea but if I'm already going 5-10 over and you're riding my ass, damn straight I'm going to break check the f**k outta you and I'll box you in too and slow down until you get the hint, especially if you're in a semi truck as that becomes a safety issue for EVERYONE on the road.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Maybe she wasnt brake checking you, maybe she was trying to see the st signs & figure out where to turn.

Sometimes it's not even about you, until you make it about yourself.
Locked Previous topicNext topic