"Just a minute"

Anonymous 1

Unread post

If I hear my kids say that one more time I am going to scream!!!

The house was messy not necessarily dirty, just crap everywhere and laundry needed to be washed and put away.

Every time, I asked my kids to do something, their response was "Just a minute"

NO NOT IN A MINUTE NOW!!!!

We finally got it all straight and cleaned up, but damn, If I heard "In a minute" or "Just a minute" one more time I was going to lose my shit!!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

If this happens A LOT then I would tell them that they have 30 seconds or they are grounded, and follow through every single time.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

when you are in the middle of something, and someone asks you to do something else, do you immediately walk away from whatever you were doing, or do you take a moment to finish up/transition between tasks?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yes...however, if they are sitting on their ipod watching Netflix when I've asked them to do something, I will probably get annoyed with them if I have to ask them more than once. A show can be paused for the 2 minutes it would take for them to walk out of the room and grab their laundry and put it away. Since we do laundry daily, the loads are small and only take a couple of minutes to accomplish.
If they are doing schoolwork, things will wait until they are finished with their work. School comes first.
Oh, and it depends on who is asking and what I'm doing. Many times I do stop what I'm doing and do the thing that has been asked. There have been plenty of times that I've been in the middle of running on the treadmill and one of the girls has asked me to help them with something. I stop running and go do it and then go back to running. I've stopped things to help Dh or do something for him. It just depends on what it is.

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 am when you are in the middle of something, and someone asks you to do something else, do you immediately walk away from whatever you were doing, or do you take a moment to finish up/transition between tasks?
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I give them a two minute warning if they say this to me. It gives them enough time to save what they are doing, or get to a spot where they can stop. I will let them know they have 30 seconds left to finish and usually they are up before the two minute warning is up.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

At the time that you are asking them, what are they doing?
Tigress22304
Countess
Countess

Unread post

It'll be JUST A MINUTE before their shit's in trash bags and thrown out the back door.

It'll be JUST A MINUTE before I cut off their damn wifi/electricity!

My kids know not to pull that crap with me.
Because when i say I would like their help or expect them to be present-they know to move their ass.

{Kat}
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I generally don't mind if my kids say "just a minute" to me because honestly I say the same thing all the time. If one of the kids needs me for something I'll say "just a minute" to finish up whatever it is and then I'm there. Same thing to DH too. Now when I say it, it literally means a minute or two. What my kids have gotten bad about is if we give them a chore to finish and then 3 hours later it's still not done because they've procrastinated so long. So we are trying to teach them the benefits of doing it right away. Again, I'm a master of procrastination so I don't really get mad at them. I'm just trying to teach it out of them.

So I KNOW where my kids get these bad habits from. It's me. So the question is where did your kids pick up these habits? Is the answer potentially in the mirror?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 am when you are in the middle of something, and someone asks you to do something else, do you immediately walk away from whatever you were doing, or do you take a moment to finish up/transition between tasks?
No, but when it's time to clean the house I don't stop and try to duel my sister in Yugioh either. So no, he didn't need a moment to finish, he needed to get up and put his dirty clothes in the hamper or whatever I was asking him to do. Same for the girls.

If they need a minute to get from one place to another or they are in the middle of cleaning something else fine, but just say okay, finish what you are doing and then get up and do it!!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:00 am I generally don't mind if my kids say "just a minute" to me because honestly I say the same thing all the time. If one of the kids needs me for something I'll say "just a minute" to finish up whatever it is and then I'm there. Same thing to DH too. Now when I say it, it literally means a minute or two. What my kids have gotten bad about is if we give them a chore to finish and then 3 hours later it's still not done because they've procrastinated so long. So we are trying to teach them the benefits of doing it right away. Again, I'm a master of procrastination so I don't really get mad at them. I'm just trying to teach it out of them.

So I KNOW where my kids get these bad habits from. It's me. So the question is where did your kids pick up these habits? Is the answer potentially in the mirror?
No, when something needs to get done I just do it and get it over with. Their dad on the other hand will procrastinate until the last possible second.
Locked Previous topicNext topic