Scientific Study shows white liberals condescend to blacks

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Mother_of_Dragons wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:56 pm
water<wine wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:47 pm Image
Are you? Feel better
Me? nah. I have always known this about white libs. most people I grew up with the 2nd 1/2 of my youth are elitist white liberals. This is why liberals think black people are incapable of getting IDs to vote.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

"The difference wasn’t statistically significant in speeches by Republican candidates, though “it was harder to find speeches from Republicans delivered to minority audiences,” "

Lol.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's actually a pretty interesting study. I don't necessarily think it's some nefarious liberal plot to treat POC as incompetent; it's probably more like a desire to be seen as an ally. But it could still be detrimental. The follow up studies she suggests could be very informative.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:11 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:04 pm
water<wine wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:47 pm

that is your opinion, but candace owens isnt the one who did the study.
I don’t care if she didn’t. She is still a POS and gives people (like this author) ammunition to do use us a pawns to point fingers.

I fully blame her for the part she plays in this type of shit and I am far from the only Black person who shares that “opinion”.
ok 1st of all, the author didnt cite candace owens, I DID. the author cites the study.

2nd, the study has nothing to do with candance owens, the study is based on the behavior of white liberals and conservatives themselves.

3rd, so what? shes allowed to feel democrats use black people as pawns. she feels the democrats haven't done anything to earn her support- her opinion, her opinion as a black person is just as valid as yours or any other black person. and for every one candace owens there are 9 black people on your side. In the midterms 90% of blacks voted democrat. Candace Owens has a minority opinion and it is HER EXPERIENCE. why would you blame her for her own feelings? that would be like her blaming Snoop dog for his feelings and using His platform to spread his political beliefs. Just because she is black doesn't mean she always has to follow the popular position.
Excuse me for the oversight, so my comments about Owens is respectfully directed at you.

I have said many, many times that Democrats use us as pawns. But I know how to communicate my point with making condescending comments about my own people, repeating incorrect historical facts and doing stupid stuff like exploiting my own by lying like she did Kanye West. Her delivery and behavior is awful.

And this author is still full of it.
These are otherwise known as expressions, not to be taken literally and only to be seen as figures of speech.

DeSantis and Hyde-Smith both won their races, despite exhaustive attempts by liberals and the media to turn their innocuous expressions into racist dog whistles. But when liberal Democrats actually do condescend to blacks, don't hold it against them. They’re scientifically predisposed to it.
Using this as an example....Cindy-Hyde made a lot of Black Mississippians mad because of her mouth and she used a well known racist figure of speech. At her age, it is highly, highly unlikely that she grew up in Brookhaven, Mississippi not knowing that. It comes off extremely bias /hypocritical for this author to chastise liberals but minimize Hyde's racist comments despite how many of us felt about it.

I have no problem admitting Democrats use Black people as political pawns and I am vocal about that. However, this author is clearly doing the same thing and that is wrong. I don't care what this study concluded, it shouldn't be used as a political weapon to take jabs at the other party when the rules don't apply to you (general).
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:24 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:04 pm
water<wine wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:47 pm

that is your opinion, but candace owens isnt the one who did the study.
I don’t care if she didn’t. She is still a POS and gives people (like this author) ammunition to do use us a pawns to point fingers.

I fully blame her for the part she plays in this type of shit and I am far from the only Black person who shares that “opinion”.
Why do you call her that? Because she's conservative? She seems like an articulate individual.
No, I don't get into political party fighting and aside from some social views, I am more of a moderate Black conservative.

I call her a POS because of her behavior.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:45 am It's actually a pretty interesting study. I don't necessarily think it's some nefarious liberal plot to treat POC as incompetent; it's probably more like a desire to be seen as an ally. But it could still be detrimental. The follow up studies she suggests could be very informative.
Interesting point 👍🏼. Where you think that the desire to be an ally comes from?

Not meaning to be a smart ass, just interested in another point of view.

But what do you think the desire to be allies comes from?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:56 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:49 pm I can't even with this article. I just can't. Researchers literally tested people based on their political leaning. Right. This doesn't seem biased at all or anything.
its not the only article reporting on the Study's findings.
The authors , Cydney Dupree, an assistant professor of organizational behavior at Yale University, and Susan Fiske, a psychology professor at Princeton University, described the phenomenon as “competence downshifting.”

here are more articles:

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/ne ... tends.html

https://www.wnpr.org/post/study-white-l ... ack-people

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -contends/
Idk maybe it is an effort to get along with minorities. I've been accused, by an uneducated white coworker, of using big words and being uppity because I'm college educated and he's a hs dropout. Personally I feel I'm speaking to him as I would anyone. I told him so ask me what you don't understand because I assume you do otherwise. I speak how i speak get over it. So the next study should be if white people also do this to whites based on perceived socio economical status. Also I would wonder if the liberal is patterning his or her speech based on the region. Southern rural blacks and whites use simpler speech than probably do those in the suburbs of Boston. I probably do that myself especially at work with clients. They have to understand what we're doing so I might try to mirror their speech. I consider myself a moderate.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:46 pm
7byher wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 pm
Mother_of_Dragons wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:30 pm

Opinion article with a shitty and ignorant opinion
Yea, it sounded very biased.
no, it was a study's findings. if Yale is biased, it is biased to the left.

The authors , Cydney Dupree, an assistant professor of organizational behavior at Yale University, and Susan Fiske, a psychology professor at Princeton University, described the phenomenon as “competence downshifting.”
Not sure I understand you, are you saying that is a study was done at Yale it is inhierently "left" biased? Not sure why you would assume that, since many influential conservatives graduated from Yale.

The study seems to conclude that self-identified liberals make a stronger attempt to connect to people outside their own background, and may make themselves appear less competent in doing so. Not that they talk down to anyone.

“People who are more likely to identify as liberal end up downshifting their competence when responding to black interaction partners or mostly minority audiences, selecting words that would make them appear less competent.

And so it’s possible that white liberals are trying to get along with racial minorities and do so by perhaps unintentionally using stereotypes, but they’re the ones who are more likely to actually try to forge these connections.”
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:10 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:45 am It's actually a pretty interesting study. I don't necessarily think it's some nefarious liberal plot to treat POC as incompetent; it's probably more like a desire to be seen as an ally. But it could still be detrimental. The follow up studies she suggests could be very informative.

I think most people want to be an ally out of a sense of social justice. A few are probably virtue-signaling.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:10 am

I can only speak for myself, my experience has shown me first hand that you are treated very differently, often with hostility, in you are in the minority. I do make a conscious effort to be friendly under certain circumstances, like seeing a lone POC at an event, or in line at a store, or at the playground. A kind greeting or even just acknowledgement of your presence with a simple hello can go a long way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic