Would you punish?

Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Wash their hands out with soap? Just joking! Don't jump! I could see that being something my oldest would do. There would be a conversation for sure that would include a knowledge test of what she thought each word meant. I suspect it would be a funny conversation, but finishing with the idea that I don't want to hear those words spoken ever.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’d probably be like ‘hey, I’m not your maid so pick up your own trash, and oh by the way...the words on the paper aren’t appropriate’ and joking mom stink eye would also be involved.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

i did the same thing at that age....if i had gotten punished, i would have been writing those words a lot more, and associating them with whoever punished me, and that would sure fuel the hatred...so, if that's your intent, go ahead and punish 'normal' behavior, but don't be surprised when the child rebels.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes, he would have consequences for using words that he knows aren't allowed in our house and for leaving it around where his younger siblings could find it.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:55 am Yes, he would have consequences for using words that he knows aren't allowed in our house and for leaving it around where his younger siblings could find it.
I did a similar thing with my brother around that age (8 or 10) but we wrote the words in someone's book. We got punished for the words and for defacing the book.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:55 am Yes, he would have consequences for using words that he knows aren't allowed in our house and for leaving it around where his younger siblings could find it.
And allllllll that would cause him to do is be sneakier about it next time so he doesn't get caught...is that what you want? A sneak?
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'd ask about it, in case he was writing them because he was feeling angry or frustrated. But I wouldn't punish. Just remind him those words aren't appropriate for polite conversation.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:19 am
And allllllll that would cause him to do is be sneakier about it next time so he doesn't get caught...is that what you want? A sneak?
If by "sneakier" you mean he will not leave his list of curse words lying around at home for anyone to find, then yes I want him to be "sneakier." So we should never try to teach our kids anything because they will sneak it anyway? I teach my kids to know when something is and is not appropriate. Leaving lists of curse words around when you have younger siblings or your parents could find it is not appropriate. I have an eight year old son. He knows what those words mean and he knows they are not allowed in our house. He knows that if he chooses to use those words in his personal life among his peers as he gets older, that is his choice to make, but they are not allowed in our house. My parents taught me the same thing and it didn't make me a sneak, it simply taught me that actions have consequences and to think about my choices.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:50 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:19 am
If by "sneakier" you mean he will not leave his list of curse words lying around at home for anyone to find, then yes I want him to be "sneakier." So we should never try to teach our kids anything because they will sneak it anyway? I teach my kids to know when something is and is not appropriate. Leaving lists of curse words around when you have younger siblings or your parents could find it is not appropriate. I have an eight year old son. He knows what those words mean and he knows they are not allowed in our house. He knows that if he chooses to use those words in his personal life among his peers as he gets older, that is his choice to make, but they are not allowed in our house. My parents taught me the same thing and it didn't make me a sneak, it simply taught me that actions have consequences and to think about my choices.
obviously you don't know what 'making a mountain out of a molehill' means...
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:34 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:31 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:28 pm Good lord no. Why would I punish for that?
I'm just wondering how others would handle it. We don't all parent the same way. For instance, had I done that I would have been in huge trouble. I had a conversation with him about how those words weren't appropriate. He said he just wanted to see what they looked like written down. He says he heard most of them at school.
They are just words on a piece of paper. That is all. I'd give him shit for not throwing the paper in the trash but that is it. Who on this board did not look up dirty words in the dictionary when they were kids? Should we have gotten in trouble for doing that?
OMG...could you imagine what our prisons would like if people were punished for everything they looked up in the dictionary of on Google
Locked Previous topicNext topic