NEARLY 80 PERCENT OF AMERICANS DO NOT BELIEVE IMMIGRATION BOOSTS CRIME

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1186

Unread post

In other words, over 20% of Americans choose to disregard hard data
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I find it very interesting that the article only uses the term "immigration". There is a huge difference between legal immigration and people illegally coming across the border. I do agree that legal immigration absolutely does not "boost crime". People that come illegally across the border are committing a crime just being here so...
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

But ILLEGAL immigration does.
Deleted User 473

Unread post

Illegal Immigration Does Not Increase Violent Crime, 4 Studies Show
The Trump administration regularly asserts that undocumented immigrants are predatory and threaten public safety. Immigrant advocates say that talk demonizes an entire class of people.

Now, four academic studies show that illegal immigration does not increase the prevalence of violent crime or drug and alcohol problems. In the slew of research, motivated by Trump's rhetoric, social scientists set out to answer this question: Are undocumented immigrants more likely to break the law?
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:05 pm But ILLEGAL immigration does.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Is there a link to the survey? What were the questions that were asked? And, who were polled?
Everybody knows that you can make a survey/poll say what you want it to say based on who and how you ask. So, this sounds very questionable to me.

Yes, most Americans have no problem with legal immigration. Now, illegal immigration is a different thing altogether. So, I really have to wonder if the survey questions made ANY distinction between the two.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:39 pm I find it very interesting that the article only uses the term "immigration". There is a huge difference between legal immigration and people illegally coming across the border. I do agree that legal immigration absolutely does not "boost crime". People that come illegally across the border are committing a crime just being here so...
Technically, though I doubt very much that that is the kind of crime that the poll is referencing. It’s pretty obvious that “crime” is referring to crimes against person and property and probably drug offenses. I don’t think that 20% is thinking that there’s suddenly a lot more embezzlement, forgery, or failing to obey traffic signs or obtain proper building permits. Lol!

I love that response, though. It’s like the people who make that argument have this childlike naivete about them. They’ve retained that very simplistic, concrete way of thinking that most adults eventually outgrow. It reminds me of when I thought it was soooooo clever as a kid to cup my hands and ask someone if there was anything in my hands. If they said “no,” I’d say “yes there is! There’s AIR!” Of course the adults knew that, it’s just that they have a more mature sense of conversation where not every obvious thing needs to be plainly stated, so the question meant something different to them. For most adults, asking whether illegal immigrants are more likely to commit crime has a more advanced starting point, some obvious truths are just automatically accepted and don’t need to be part of the answer. For others you still have to acknowledge that there’s air in the child’s hands before you can proceed.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:51 pm
Poietes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:39 pm I find it very interesting that the article only uses the term "immigration". There is a huge difference between legal immigration and people illegally coming across the border. I do agree that legal immigration absolutely does not "boost crime". People that come illegally across the border are committing a crime just being here so...
Technically, though I doubt very much that that is the kind of crime that the poll is referencing. It’s pretty obvious that “crime” is referring to crimes against person and property and probably drug offenses. I don’t think that 20% is thinking that there’s suddenly a lot more embezzlement, forgery, or failing to obey traffic signs or obtain proper building permits. Lol!

I love that response, though. It’s like the people who make that argument have this childlike naivete about them. They’ve retained that very simplistic, concrete way of thinking that most adults eventually outgrow. It reminds me of when I thought it was soooooo clever as a kid to cup my hands and ask someone if there was anything in my hands. If they said “no,” I’d say “yes there is! There’s AIR!” Of course the adults knew that, it’s just that they have a more mature sense of conversation where not every obvious thing needs to be plainly stated, so the question meant something different to them. For most adults, asking whether illegal immigrants are more likely to commit crime has a more advanced starting point, some obvious truths are just automatically accepted and don’t need to be part of the answer. For others you still have to acknowledge that there’s air in the child’s hands before you can proceed.
Have you seen most of the voting population or the ones that are being polled? They are the childish immature people you are speaking of. Hell most of these people thought Trump and Hillary were the best the US had to offer. I really don’t equate most adults as the “mature” populace you catorgoize them in. A majority of the time especially on here you have to spell things out for people because they love to take words at absolute fave value.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Emandab
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Mother_of_Dragons wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:53 pm
Since the launch of his 2016 presidential campaign, Donald Trump has repeatedly drawn links between immigration and crime, defending his demand for the construction of a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico by repeatedly accusing migrants and asylum seekers of "bringing drugs" and "bringing crime" into the country.
https://www.newsweek.com/americans-poll ... me-1363060
I'm sorry. Did you not see my question? I suppose I should have quoted you directly to be sure.

I must say Newsweek was clever in their questioning if you're aiming to fool the simpletons.
Emandab
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Mother_of_Dragons wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:11 pm Illegal Immigration Does Not Increase Violent Crime, 4 Studies Show
The Trump administration regularly asserts that undocumented immigrants are predatory and threaten public safety. Immigrant advocates say that talk demonizes an entire class of people.

Now, four academic studies show that illegal immigration does not increase the prevalence of violent crime or drug and alcohol problems. In the slew of research, motivated by Trump's rhetoric, social scientists set out to answer this question: Are undocumented immigrants more likely to break the law?
Please cite those studies. I'm sure you have before since you are confident you are correct, but I must have missed it. I must warn you, I am particular with reputable sources. So a study by BuzzFeed won't cut it for me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic